Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2021, 02:38 PM   #1

Batteries not charging

Hope this is simple...thought in might be an inverter issue, but checked and all my batteries are dead. Halfway through our last trip as I was checking water and tanks, noticed the batteries were only 25% up. Also noticed several of the 12volt systems not working well. Figured the batteries were charging up and would be OK. Not so much! Batteries dead. Anybody know location and type of charging device? Any tips? 2018 Pinnacle 38REFS. Batteries (3) new last year and properly stored over winter.
SoonerCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:42 PM   #2

The converter is part of the breaker/fuse panel it is all incorporated together.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The converter is part of the breaker/fuse panel it is all incorporated together.
Don't see anything blown or off in the panel. Checked all the 12v fuses as well.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:15 PM   #4

If your 12 volt systems are not working well along with not charging it could be going bad. Get a meter and check the output voltages.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If your 12 volt systems are not working well along with not charging it could be going bad. Get a meter and check the output voltages.
Will do. Is there a reset or anything on the converter?
Old 09-27-2021, 05:58 PM   #6

If it is a Progressive Dynamics converter there should be 3 or 4 reverse polarity fuses to protect the batteries. They are probably 25 amp fuses and are located to the far right in the row of fuses. If they blow/open the batteries will not charge. Just a thought.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:52 PM   #7

Attached some troubleshooting info.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Quick Multimeter Instructions (ver 1).pdf (376.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf RV Electrical Troubleshooting (ver 2).pdf (2.01 MB, 4 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:43 PM   #8

Convertor OK at panel....

Had a chance to get a look at everything at the convertor. Not a simple change out. Appears to be hard wired in. Anyway, I am getting DC voltage on the output side of the convertor, but nothing at the batteries. The fuses mentioned before are all good. Anybody aware of a junction box or connection that could have come loose? Everything good at the batteries, and I was able to charge and get everything going again, but quickly goes dead again unless I leave a trickle charge on.

Thanks again for any insight!
Old 10-07-2021, 05:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCamper View Post
Had a chance to get a look at everything at the convertor. Not a simple change out. Appears to be hard wired in. Anyway, I am getting DC voltage on the output side of the convertor, but nothing at the batteries. The fuses mentioned before are all good. Anybody aware of a junction box or connection that could have come loose? Everything good at the batteries, and I was able to charge and get everything going again, but quickly goes dead again unless I leave a trickle charge on.

Thanks again for any insight!
How much voltage are you seeing at the converter output? If it is mid 13s or more but the battery is staying at mid 12s, there must be an open somewhere.

I believe you stated that everything works off battery, at least while it is fully charged. If this is the case then the battery most likely is connected well in the rig. This means the ground is OK too.

If you are reading mid 13s at the converter, for it to charge the batteries all that is required is a heavy cable connection to the battery. Keep in mind that this is for both positive and negative connections. Most likely the ground connection is simply the frame meaning the battery negative is connected to the frame and the converter negative connection goes to the frame. Find the converter's negative connection to the frame and verify it is solid and not corroded.

If the negative lead is good turn your attention to the positive lead. I don't know for certain how the rig is wired but can assume the cable will somehow go from the converter to the battery. By chance is there a cable at the battery that is not connected and laying where it can't easily be seen? Since your 12 volt items work from the battery one can assume that the positive cable from the battery to the fuse panel is good. If the converter is tied into the fuse panel directly look very closely there.

Just remember, all that is required to charge the batteries is the connection of a positive cable from the converter to the battery and a negative cable most likely connected to the frame on both ends. If the converter is sending out mid 13s then the other end of the cable should be very close to the same.

What model converter do you have? Pictures may help.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:20 PM   #10

I'd charge those battery first and properly test them. Sounds like who knows what condition they are in ( 25%, dead, trickle charging). Not old doesn't mean they will take a charge now. Just saying........

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote