Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2019, 07:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
On some types of Jayco 5th wheels the battery disconnect does not cut power to certain systems because it's not directly wired to the batteries themselves. It seems that they bypass the disconnect and not sure why Jayco did it this way. Lots of folks on here have experienced this and have installed a disconnect directly to the battery[s].

Then it's not truly a battery disconnect switch and shouldn't be referred to as that.
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Sure is! Definitely possible and is! Pretty common thing. Look around on the forum. I had to rewire my 2017 Eagle 293RKDS as it didn't kill all items. The factory leaves some items powered even with the disconnect off. You will find out when your batteries are dead with the disconnect off. You will become a believer! Lol

Earl
Interesting............I will never find out though as I wired in a true battery disconnect switch several years ago.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Sure is! Definitely possible and is! Pretty common thing. Look around on the forum. I had to rewire my 2017 Eagle 293RKDS as it didn't kill all items. The factory leaves some items powered even with the disconnect off. You will find out when your batteries are dead with the disconnect off. You will become a believer! Lol

Earl
WTH??? So how do I find out if there's any drain on the batteries other than finding out they're dead?
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
WTH??? So how do I find out if there's any drain on the batteries other than finding out they're dead?
Well if Mopar Earl would kindly detail what items he found that still received power in his unit even after the battery disconnect switch is used........that would make it easier!
Old 10-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #25
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I had to rewire my 2017 Eagle 293RKDS as it didn't kill all items. The factory leaves some items powered even with the disconnect off. You will find out when your batteries are dead with the disconnect off. You will become a believer! Lol
Maybe some clarification needs to be done here. Some reference the battery disconnect switch as the Red rocker kill switch on the control panel (which turns on the 12 volt power to the coach) (and leaves some circuits hot all the time) VERSUS a manual, rotating battery disconnect switch mounted either on the battery post itself, or inline with the main battery cable.

These are two completely different animals.

People, please clarify which one you're referencing.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Maybe some clarification needs to be done here. Some reference the battery disconnect switch as the Red rocker kill switch on the control panel (which turns on the 12 volt power to the coach) (and leaves some circuits hot all the time) VERSUS a manual, rotating battery disconnect switch mounted either on the battery post itself, or inline with the main battery cable.

These are two completely different animals.

People, please clarify which one you're referencing.
I'm referencing the manual battery disconnect install by the factory in the basement. It's red and labeled disconnect. My unit does not have a 12v disconnect switch like a motorhome.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
You can perform a battery drain test by connecting your multimeter between the ground cable and the negative post. Put meter on amps. But be careful as most meters are only rated at 10 amps. If you exceed that, the fuse inside the meter will blow.

Easier to disconnect the negative cable to kill all loads and then clip on your solar charger.

Earl
Old 10-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime58 View Post
Well if Mopar Earl would kindly detail what items he found that still received power in his unit even after the battery disconnect switch is used........that would make it easier!
That was several years ago. But the auto leveling system was constant on. There is memory in it for the calibration. The LP detector was constant on. The break-away is constant on but wouldn't cause an issue if the switch is good and not pulled. Those I remember. But like I said it was a couple years ago. I rewired the factory system so the disconnect would kill everything. Look around on the forum. This has been discussed in detail in several threads. I'm sure each model and year built probably changes the loads. I think maybe the stereo memory was constant too??

Earl
Old 10-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime58 View Post
Not possible, battery disconnect interrupts the circuit by severing either the positive or negative connection to the battery......impossible to have some items still receiving power!
Maybe not on a Jayco but our friends have a Silverback and with the disconnect off & removed, their slides still work. He removes his battery in November/December.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:56 AM   #30

OP, I would not bother with the solar charger and do one of two things; Physically disconnect the negative power cable. Then there is NO power drain on the battery. A health fully charged battery will make it through a cold winter with no issues. The other thing I would conciser is pulling the batteries and bring them home and place them in the garage/basement/storage room. Every few months consider putting a trickle charger on them. I pull my battery each fall. It sits on a couple scrap blocks in the corner of my garage. By spring it might be down 0.1 volts without being on the trickle charger.

If you are parked at home, and if you can, just leave the 5ver plugged in.

As for power drains, some people with 5vers have reported that with the disconnect thrown, the auto leveler system (hitch height recall) and the receiver system for the remote, that controls the slideouts, and awnings still have power, with the disconnect thrown. Hence, just disconnect the battery.
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #31

I always use the battery disconnect when storing. After 3 months I turn the switch on and the monitor shows I have 3/4 battery life. Everything gets shut down on my 2019 when I throw the switch. Maybe I got lucky and they wired something correct!
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #32

I have two six volt trojans and when I'm not using the trailer, I disconnect them and keep them hooked up to a battery tender.
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog View Post
I have two six volt trojans and when I'm not using the trailer, I disconnect them and keep them hooked up to a battery tender.
Bingo!!
Old 10-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #34

I have found nothing on when the battery disconnect is activated. Even the carbon monoxide detector is off. I connect the solar charger directly to the battery terminals while in storage, even with the disconnect activated. Still charging the batteries if they connected directly to the batteries. That's how I'm gonna roll this winter. I'll have to learn more about the volt meter to use it correctly. Me and voltage don't get along.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
I always use the battery disconnect when storing. After 3 months I turn the switch on and the monitor shows I have 3/4 battery life. Everything gets shut down on my 2019 when I throw the switch. Maybe I got lucky and they wired something correct!
Ok, since we're talking about this, I was at the 5'er today and saw the voltage at 12.2 volts when I turned off the battery disconnect and the Xantrex fired up. Is 12.2 volts low? I opened and closed one of the slides and it seemed to work fine. The dealership had it for several days last week. Makes me think they ran the batteries down while it was sitting there. What's the charged range for two 12 volt house 5'er batteries? When do I need to get worried?
Old 10-08-2019, 04:42 PM   #36

Quote:

Earl
Yep! I had my disconnect turn off and when I went back my batteries were dead, I forget how long that I didn't go back.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:53 PM   #37
Site Team

For those folks who want to know if anything's drawing power when a disconnect switch is off. remove the positive battery cable, and put a 12v test light inline from the positive battery post to the positive cable end. If the test light lights up, there's a draw.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
1 Spoiled Dog
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #38

Mine lives in our nice warmbasement with my trolling motor battery for the winter. I check them every couple of weeks and charge them as needed. Has worked perfectly for the last 7 years. Had to replace trailer battery last year.
Rdubya44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:26 PM   #39

No need to remove the batteries. Just make sure that acid levels are correct. Use distilled water if needed.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
I have used this for many years.

I also have used a Battery Tender for the past 10 years on the batteries in my 5th wheel. Prefer the Battery Tender over the RV Charger. Just be sure to turn your disconnect switch to the off position as the Battery Tender cannot overcome any load on the batteries.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote