Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2021, 06:37 PM   #1

Battery area and front compartment venting

My 2015 Jayco Eagle 27.5' 5er battery is located inside a plastic box, in the small battery compartment right front with the top of the box vented to the outside. However the adjacent wall separating the battery compartment from the larger rest of the front compartment does not seal off or go all the way up to the ceiling isolating the battery compartment. I would like to add a 2nd battery but there is no room for a 2nd plastic box, but could be for a 2nd battery if both batteries were setting on the floor of the compartment.
If I was able to seal off the battery compartment and had the 2 battery's in the compartment, how much or what type of venting would I need for the battery compartment? Suggestions please.
I know the answer is 2 AGM batteries to replace my flooded lead acid, then I would not have to vent, but I have the 2 flooded lead acids. My intent is to have 1 in the box since that is the one being charged and have another stored, charged and available to swap and connect when needed. They are not alike.
The 2nd is along to be used for many things other than backup house battery.
Genr8rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genr8rs View Post
My 2015 Jayco Eagle 27.5' 5er battery is located inside a plastic box, in the small battery compartment right front with the top of the box vented to the outside. However the adjacent wall separating the battery compartment from the larger rest of the front compartment does not seal off or go all the way up to the ceiling isolating the battery compartment. I would like to add a 2nd battery but there is no room for a 2nd plastic box, but could be for a 2nd battery if both batteries were setting on the floor of the compartment.

If I was able to seal off the battery compartment and had the 2 battery's in the compartment, how much or what type of venting would I need for the battery compartment? Suggestions please.

I know the answer is 2 AGM batteries to replace my flooded lead acid, then I would not have to vent, but I have the 2 flooded lead acids. My intent is to have 1 in the box since that is the one being charged and have another stored, charged and available to swap and connect when needed. They are not alike.

The 2nd is along to be used for many things other than backup house battery.
Have you thought about two 6 volt batteries? I was told by my dealer that would work without screwing up the existing factory charge controller. Might want to verify this with your dealer or Jayco.

Good luck,

Marko
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:37 PM   #3

Battery area and front compartment venting

Thank you Marko, I have looked into 2 6 volt batteries and found them to be bigger and heavier than the Interstate Dual Purpose HD24-DP that I currently have. Im asking about venting the battery or whole compartment. If I move them into the front compartment I will need to vent them or the whole compartment? I may need to wait until I replace my Interstate batteries with AGM to avoid venting.
Genr8rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genr8rs View Post
Thank you Marko, I have looked into 2 6 volt batteries and found them to be bigger and heavier than the Interstate Dual Purpose HD24-DP that I currently have. Im asking about venting the battery or whole compartment. If I move them into the front compartment I will need to vent them or the whole compartment? I may need to wait until I replace my Interstate batteries with AGM to avoid venting.
You can buy the vents on Amazon.
Get a hole saw and install them. They are held in place with screws. Use stainless screws to install.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote