Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #1

Battery charger (Wizard)

If and when I replace my 12 volt batteries with 6 volt , do I need to do anything with the Wizard battery charger? I understand that the battery output while in series would be 12 volts. However, isn't the charge volts going back to the 6 volt batteries 12 volts. Will the Wizard convert this? Please educate me.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #2

6 volt in series is 12 volts, no need to change anything. Positive to one battery positive, negative to other battery negative, jumper between batteries remaining positive/ negative. You want 12 volts going from charger to 6 volt set in series, as they are essentially one big 12 volt battery at that point.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:57 AM   #3

Your battery charger output wires would need to be moved across the 12 potential, if your going from 12v parallel to 6v series parallel.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:14 AM   #4
Site Team

The wizard works in the background to keep your batteries charged. Weather 1-12v or 2-6v in series.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
If and when I replace my 12 volt batteries with 6 volt , do I need to do anything with the Wizard battery charger? I understand that the battery output while in series would be 12 volts. However, isn't the charge volts going back to the 6 volt batteries 12 volts. Will the Wizard convert this? Please educate me.
I guess I have to ask why would you replace 12 volt batteries with 6 volt batteries. You are buying 2 6 volt batteries for every 12 volt battery you replace and linking them to still get 12 volts. I must be missing something here as to why you would double the number of batteries rather just buying another 12 volt battery.

What is the advantage?
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #6

Advantage of 6v is well chronicled. Short story, more amp hours, more recharge cycles, and more resiliency if excessively discharged.
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickledill View Post
Advantage of 6v is well chronicled. Short story, more amp hours, more recharge cycles, and more resiliency if excessively discharged.
Good quality 6V deep cycle batteries are availible at very reasonable costs. Generally going to a 2x 6V will mean you have a larger amp-hour reserve at a lower cost than multiple 12V batteries.

And absolutely no changes needed to chargers or anything as long as you wire them in series.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:25 PM   #8

You don't double the capacity of 6v batteries when you put them in series, only the voltage. You would need 4 6 volt batteries to double the capacity compared to using 2 12v batteries. Easier to do with 12v batteries as you double the capacity for every pair. But, 12v batteries don't take a beating like the 6v batteries. I've had 6v batteries last for 8 years in my rv.
Common myth that putting batteries in series increases capacity. It does not. Must be paralleled to increase capacity.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #9

Thanks for the education. I have a bank of 6 12 volt batteries in parallel on my Pinnacle. If I were to switch to 6V batteries, does that mean I need 12 batteries and will they fit in the same space as 6 12V batteries?
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
You don't double the capacity of 6v batteries when you put them in series, only the voltage. You would need 4 6 volt batteries to double the capacity compared to using 2 12v batteries. Easier to do with 12v batteries as you double the capacity for every pair. But, 12v batteries don't take a beating like the 6v batteries. I've had 6v batteries last for 8 years in my rv.
Common myth that putting batteries in series increases capacity. It does not. Must be paralleled to increase capacity.

Earl
Totally correct, but in my experreince, the 6V batteries are higher AH capacity than similar cost 12V batteries.
My trojan T105's are 225 AH capacity, so yes, with two of them, I still only have 225 AH (not 450 like some would assume), but that 225 is pretty high.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post

Earl
Batteries in series don't increase capacity?. I thought, this guy is clearly a mis-informed fool. Of course, capacity is increased when....batteries...are....uh, oh...a little internet research shows this guy is actually right! Hmmmmm.

Yeah, that surprised me. Although, effectively, when I upgraded from my 12v Interstate battery to my 6v's, the original battery was around 95 amp hours, and each 6v is 215 amp hours approx. So, in series, they're 215 amp hours still, but considerably more capacity than I had previously. Plus their other bonuses.

Thanks for bringing the "myth" to my attention.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Batteries in series don't increase capacity?. I thought, this guy is clearly a mis-informed fool. Of course, capacity is increased when....batteries...are....uh, oh...a little internet research shows this guy is actually right! Hmmmmm.

Yeah, that surprised me. Although, effectively, when I upgraded from my 12v Interstate battery to my 6v's, the original battery was around 95 amp hours, and each 6v is 215 amp hours approx. So, in series, they're 215 amp hours still, but considerably more capacity than I had previously. Plus their other bonuses.

Thanks for bringing the "myth" to my attention.
Lol I'm sure you're not only person to think that while reading my post. I've had several battery classes over the years. Another old school myth is never let batteries sit on concrete. Again, that's completely ok and harms nothing.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:52 PM   #13

It pays to browse different parts of this forum, did not know this about series vs parallel set ups, thank you.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #14

As someone has posted, 2 6volt baterries in series does not double their capacity but 2- 6 volt batteries typically have more than double the capacity of a like priced 12 volt battery and are more robust in design for our intended uses.
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote