Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #1

Battery connected wrong.

Hi I have a Jayco Eagle 5th wheel. Yesterday I noticed the 12v lights inside going down and this morning they are not working at all (both batteries are pretty new and have shown no signs of wear). I am currently charging the batteries but thought this was strange so investigated and think thebatteries may have been connected incorrectly, positive to negative. Around a month ago when I was on vacation the batteries were disconnected and then reconnected. I think the batteries were reconnected incorrectly. As far as I can tell there was no use of the 12v system until yesterday. All lights worked for maybe 6 hours before fading then completely dying. Nothing 12V is working now. When charged should I try reconnecting the batteries the correct way?
mcferran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #2

If the battery was connected the wrong way, you probably blew a fuse in your converter. This fuse protects the unit. Without replacing it, the converter will no longer charge your trailer when plugged in. You need to confirm the correct way to hookup the battery. If the wires are black and white, the white is probably the negative. If you follow it, it should be attached to the frame somewhere near the battery. If the battery was connected wrong, I would disconnect, check the converter fuses and replace as necessary. Then connect the battery the proper way. After all is connected properly and the trailer is plugged in, use a meter to check the voltage at the battery. It should be 13.2+ volts when charging. If it is less than 13 volts, it probably isn't charging and you need to check your converter. Good luck and let us know the outcome!

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #3

Do you have 2 12-volt or 2 6-volt?
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrueckh View Post
If the battery was connected the wrong way, you probably blew a fuse in your converter. This fuse protects the unit. Without replacing it, the converter will no longer charge your trailer when plugged in. You need to confirm the correct way to hookup the battery. If the wires are black and white, the white is probably the negative. If you follow it, it should be attached to the frame somewhere near the battery. If the battery was connected wrong, I would disconnect, check the converter fuses and replace as necessary. Then connect the battery the proper way. After all is connected properly and the trailer is plugged in, use a meter to check the voltage at the battery. It should be 13.2+ volts when charging. If it is less than 13 volts, it probably isn't charging and you need to check your converter. Good luck and let us know the outcome!

Great advise, that worked. The 12V lights are now working with the batteries disconnected. I'll reconnect them in the morning.

I'm glad to get this fixed, this Eagle is being replaced by my new 377RLBH which is delivered tomorrow. I live in Ireland so finding RV repairs here isn't easy. Thanks for the help again.
mcferran1 is offline   Reply With Quote