Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2020, 07:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64osby View Post
You may look at using wing nuts on the terminals. Then you don't need a wrench.
I've replaced mine with wing nuts. Much easier.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:14 AM   #22

great idea, thanks
dtownsend183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #23

I have the same 5th wheel as you, do you have the new BMPro controller installed in yours? If so the tablet will draw down the battery within a couple of days. The only way to not let this happen is to put in a battery disconnect. The BMPro bypasses the battery shutoff switch so the battery will die if not plugged in. Whenever I take my camper in to get warranty work done by the time I get it back the battery is dead and they have to hook the camper up to there forklift just so I can get it hooked up to my truck.
Loadtoad1A7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:47 PM   #24

My neighbor turned me on to wing nuts early on. As stated, very easy and I've never had an issue with them loosening while traveling.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:30 PM   #25

Tight battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownsend183 View Post
We have a new 5th wheel Eagle 317 RLOK. We have enjoyed the few trips we have taken, but the learning curve is killing me. Like many of you we have been struggling to keep the battery charged in between trips. I have spent countless hours reading forums and Facebook postings to find a way to keep the battery charged. I used a trickle charger but the draw on the battery, (even though the battery shut off is “off”), still drains to the level that the battery is not functional. I share this with you as a learning experience and a design flaw on Jayco’s part. I had to remove the battery from the RV to trickle charge in my shop. The battery compartment is in a tough spot to disconnect and remove, and then to reinstall and connect. The terminals are right up against the side of the battery compartment. Which means you must be careful not to let the wrench touch the side. Well, when I tightened down the positive side, the wrench contacted metal side of the battery compartment and I had fireworks. I was not injured but will never get the stain out of my shorts!
I have damage to the RV, my tools and my sanity!
In those situations I would install a tail on your tender, I know interstate batteries will give you a pigtail you permanently mount on your battery for using a tender, after that zero hassle! Just plug into the 2 prong tail and walk away
Hiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownsend183 View Post
We have a new 5th wheel Eagle 317 RLOK. We have enjoyed the few trips we have taken, but the learning curve is killing me. Like many of you we have been struggling to keep the battery charged in between trips. I have spent countless hours reading forums and Facebook postings to find a way to keep the battery charged. I used a trickle charger but the draw on the battery, (even though the battery shut off is “off”), still drains to the level that the battery is not functional. I share this with you as a learning experience and a design flaw on Jayco’s part. I had to remove the battery from the RV to trickle charge in my shop. The battery compartment is in a tough spot to disconnect and remove, and then to reinstall and connect. The terminals are right up against the side of the battery compartment. Which means you must be careful not to let the wrench touch the side. Well, when I tightened down the positive side, the wrench contacted metal side of the battery compartment and I had fireworks. I was not injured but will never get the stain out of my shorts!
I have damage to the RV, my tools and my sanity!
Sometimes you can't avoid working in tight spaces like that. When you have no other option, tape your tools to prevent accidental grounding. Electrical tape is cheap insurance, and is something EVERY RV should carry in abundance!

OH...AND BE SURE TO REMOVE ANY METAL RINGS!!
I've seen wrenches melt like fuses, and wedding rings turn cherry red in seconds!
Old 08-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #27

We have 317RLOK - I immediately replaced the battery furnished w camper with (2) 12V deep cycle batteries in parallel. I have never experience any drain - It is typically 2-3 weeks between outings. I use main shut off switch and does shut off even the propane alarm - batteries are 2/3 - full when I open up for a trip. I even left the batteries in camper - hooked up for the winter (3 months) - they were 2/3 charged in spring. You must have something that is not shutting off or your battery is bad.

2019 Jayco 317RLOK
2015 F-350, 6.7L, SRW, Bilstein Rear Shocks
Chesterfield, Missouri

billgburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #28

Check the reverse polarity fuses in the power distribution box.
They are the 3 or 4 that are separate from the others.
They are there for just such mishaps, so your rig might not have damage other that a burn mark in the battery box.
If the cables are too short to allow you to hook up the negative cable last, then I suggest that you have the cables replaced or lengthened. Not sure if turn off the battery switch would have helped. On Big Caterpillar equipment the battery switch is on the negative cables. Just a comment.
As for the learning curve, I / we have had something rv related all our lives (even as kids). This is our first fifth wheel as well as Jayco and it seems that I am starting all over.

2020 Pinnacle 32RLTS
206 F350 4x4 Powerstroke
Rick Finke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #29

Duravolt Kingpin Solar Tender

https://www.amazon.com/DuraVolt-Trai...s%2C146&sr=8-3
masolbergrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #30

Sorry, senior moment, Pin Box, not King pin
masolbergrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:17 PM   #31

The battery disconnect on my 2020 Eagle HT has several circuits bypass the disconnect.
Attached Thumbnails
5D6DDE4F-8A99-44ED-A568-66306125B72B.jpg  
sfarw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:55 AM   #32

Another Possibility

Something to check, particularly on coaches that have seen a lot of miles...the break-a-way switch.

Water and debris can get inside these and cause all kinds of corrosion, even to point that corrosion builds up and jumps the pin/plunger causing a small (or large) current to flow through brake magnets.

As these switches are usually wired straight to battery (FMC reg?), typical disconnect switch typically installed won't prevent this specific atypical drain.

Funny Story: Rolled up on an Alfa 5er for unrelated LP issue (heavy ends, lines full of oil). Just happened to notice a spectacularly detailed and professional looking wiring box (no sarcasm here - looked great). Asked owner about it, and he/she (depends on the day, female at time I was there) demonstrated relay isolated turn signals, running lights, battery charge, and even autoswitch for his fridge to goto 12v operation. Indicator lights on relay coil, lights on relay output to verify signals and operation. Even had a voltmeter with a push to test for each circuit. Relays were fused on input (supposedly to protect vehicle) and output (protect wiring). Guess what coming? Yup, brakes were fused as well, TWICE! Once from vehicle (e-brake line (no relay), and once at input / battery side of break-a-way switch. Got into a difference of opinion regarding blown fuse protecting wiring and possibly causing loss of trailer brakes. He/She did concede the point and compromised and said a light will be installed where could see in a mirror. No Light = no brake power from battery.
2005 Prevost Liberty Monterey 45'
1997 Ford F250 SuperCab 351cid Auto 4WD
2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L 6spd Auto
krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:25 PM   #33

My Northpoint wasn't wired quite the right way from the factory either. My disconnect switch now disconnects the entire coach except for the operation of the landing gear (safety reasons) and my electric/hydraulic brakes. I also replaced the little Interstate battery with a group 32 AGM Duracell, more power. My trailer can sit for a month without having to be plugged in and the battery is fine an the battery is on its 6th season.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:30 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I am gonna add a ground disconnect. Leaving for an almost three month trip i went to disconnect wife’s Jeep battery. How cool they have a push button release on the battery ground cable. Never seen that before.
Could you post a pic of that Jeep terminal disconnect if it's not too much trouble?

I bought these on Ebay recently to maybe solve some of these issues. I'll install them next time I get the 5er out of storage.

Hog3loves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #35

Our 2020 Eagle 319 MLOK came with the BmPro controller and yes it will take your battery down. I purchase this solar panel to keep batt. charged. Have used it for 5 months now with no dead batt. I use it on the ground as if I put it on the pinbox there is too much shade on our rig.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also bought these to keep the critter problem under control. We have ground squirrels and rabbits where we camp. put one on the truck and one on the rig. So far seem to work great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batter, charging, damage, discharge, trickle