Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #1

Battery disconnect switch doesn't disconnect anything

The battery disconnect switch in my 2015 Eagle HT does not appear to shut off ANYTHING.

I see other threads discussing parasitic loads, but in my case I move the switch (one of those big red marine style switches) to "off" and all of the 12V in the trailer still works - interior lights, awning, etc.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Which side of the battery is the disconnect switch connected to?
Can you send a picture of the battery cables?

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:32 AM   #3

I will get out there this evening for a photo...

I don't know if the switch has failed (mechanically) or if it is mis-wired. It seems that someone should have noticed this in the first 3 years of (prior) ownership.

I just noticed by accident, I went into the trailer to grab something and without thinking clicked on the bathroom light.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:10 AM   #4

Sounds like its not wired right but even when wire correctly it won't shut off everything. Jayco has it so the converter still charges the battery, the solar panal still charges the batteries, the front landing gear works and there is one other relay hooked up (not sure what it runs, on mine it says Sanicon relay) and the charge line from tow vehicle if connect to trk. Not sure how to post a picture but will try to figure it out. I have a 2018 Eagle HT 27.5 so assuming it should be close.
Trailgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #5

Our Eagle TT had a TSB (tech service bulletin) about this because it was wired wrong at the factory. Not sure if it affected 5th wheels though. EDIT - saw you had an older model so might not apply.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:06 PM   #6

Are you by chance connected to shore power? If so, you are getting 12V power through the converter, to power the lights and so forth and the battery is isolated.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Are you by chance connected to shore power? If so, you are getting 12V power through the converter, to power the lights and so forth and the battery is isolated.
Nope
Old 12-05-2017, 05:32 PM   #8

Here is a photo.

The hot lead from the battery comes to the left terminal of the horizontal circuit breaker. The left terminal also has the wire that goes to the second, vertical CB, I understand that this feeds the trailer brakes.

The secondary of the first CB then has a large black wire going to the switch, with a smaller orange wire going into the coach (based on other threads, going to the slide controllers?).

Also attached to the switch are 2 large black wires and a smaller green wire.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0101.JPG  
Old 12-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJay View Post
Here is a photo.

The hot lead from the battery comes to the left terminal of the horizontal circuit breaker. The left terminal also has the wire that goes to the second, vertical CB, I understand that this feeds the trailer brakes.

The secondary of the first CB then has a large black wire going to the switch, with a smaller orange wire going into the coach (based on other threads, going to the slide controllers?).

Also attached to the switch are 2 large black wires and a smaller green wire.
I had the same issue when brand new. They had swapped the incoming and outgoing wires in the converter or on the disconnect switch. Either way you look at it, the power from battery to the switch and the outgoing side of the converter should be together on the disconnect switch and the single wire from the switch to the converter must be on the incoming lug of the converter. Also if it is the same converter that I have, there is a jumper that should have been removed. The easiest way is to down load a wiring diagram for your converter and use that as a reference. Hopes that helps, it's hard to explain, but if you look at a diagram you should be able to see what I am trying to explain
Old 12-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #10
Site Team

The best thing to do is sit down with a pencil and paper, draw out the battery, CB's and the disconnect switch along with all the wires that feed them. One by one connect all the wires to where they are terminated. Once you have the drawing done you will see exactly where the issue is, if not take a picture of the drawing and post it.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #11

Our 2015 28.5 RLTS Eagle fifth wheel had the same problem that the OP has. We (service tech) took the switch off the wall it was mounted to, and connected the wires as it said to on the back of the switch. Jumper on the power center had been removed already. Works as its supposed to now. Can't help but wonder why it was not caught before we bought it. The switch looks like the one pictured, red and a 90 degree throw.
Happy Trails
AFDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDon View Post
... connected the wires as it said to on the back of the switch.
I am glad to hear that the switch has a wiring diagram on the back.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #13

Quote:
I am glad to hear that the switch has a wiring diagram on the back.
Ours has two posts on the back. One marked battery, the other one I really don't remember, but we hooked both wires coming from the couch to it and everything seems to be working right.
AFDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:51 PM   #14

An update on this thread:

I got into the Barn this weekend (temps in the 40s up here in Michigan). I pulled the switch off the bulkhead and figured it out. The main bus wire and the power converter wire (i.e the two large-diameter black wires) were installed in reverse on the two posts. Turning the switch off disconnected the power converter (i.e. 12v shore power) from the trailer.

Swapped the two wires. All good. Turning the switch off disconnects power to the trailer.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #15

Because of this post I checked my battery switch, had to jumper wires fall off in my hand. The crimps were not adequate, I slide the wire back in and crimped the hell out of them, good and tight now. Next time I am out will check to see it the switch is in fact wired correctly to shut off power.
purebredmutt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 10:46 PM   #16

2021 still going on

Well, it’s 2021 model year and Jayco apparently can’t get this together. Having same issue on my brand new 27bhb. Switch off and the coach runs only from the battery and shore power won’t charge it. Switch on and the battery charges and coach runs off the inverter. Wow. So far not impressed with their quality control.....
Mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:20 AM   #17

Quote:
The battery disconnect switch in my 2015 Eagle HT does not appear to shut off ANYTHING.

I see other threads discussing parasitic loads, but in my case I move the switch (one of those big red marine style switches) to "off" and all of the 12V in the trailer still works - interior lights, awning, etc.
If your still plugged into shore power it will but will not charge the battery. That's how it works.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailgypsy View Post
Sounds like its not wired right but even when wire correctly it won't shut off everything. Jayco has it so the converter still charges the battery, the solar panal still charges the batteries, the front landing gear works and there is one other relay hooked up (not sure what it runs, on mine it says Sanicon relay) and the charge line from tow vehicle if connect to trk. Not sure how to post a picture but will try to figure it out. I have a 2018 Eagle HT 27.5 so assuming it should be close.
This is what i ended up doing so i had access to the relays and the wiring behind that switch, re-did that whole wall in the pass threw and in stalled a hinged door for quick and easy access and cleaned up there wiring. First picture-before ish---second picture finished--third bonus picture---Last picture loaded sideways door access open--

I ended up re doing there factory wiring with heavier wiring , fixing a lot things---it was a mess
Attached Thumbnails
20190805_173058.jpg   20190812_140240.jpg   20190812_140307.jpg  
Puddle Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:14 PM   #19

Attachment 67277
Wiring diagram for battery connections and disconnect for my 2015 Jayco Eagle, also diagram for the Load Center/charger. It says else where that if a wire is run from the disconnect to the DC Disc terminal and also from the Battery to the Pos/Blk terminal that the jumper should be removed. The jumper allows 2 sources from the battery but tied together by the jumper. Turning off the disc will have no effect if the jumper is serving from the line directly from the battery. I hope the images came through. If they did not the Load Center Jayco uses is called "Progressive Dynamics PD4000 Series" at least mine is. The battery and disconnect wiring I got from Jayco Service Dept.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Load Center w Fuse Pnl 12vdc 30a.pdf (176.0 KB, 16 views)
Genr8rs is offline   Reply With Quote