Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2017, 02:49 PM   #1

Battery Drain 377RLBH

Hey all, since I picked up my 377 in December I have noticed that the batteries die in no time. We have the onboard Onan generator, and I have to give a battery a jump every time I do my monthly generator run. We have only been camping once so far this year, but when I went to hook up to go to the campground the battery was dead then as well. I did my last generator test about a week ago, and yep still had to jump it. I just went out and checked and the battery is dead again. I turn off the master kill switch that's in the propane storage compartment. Does anyone else have this problem? We are going to the race this weekend and I need to get the fridge going tomorrow to get it cool to add food, but if the battery keeps dying then the fridge won't work regardless if it's on propane mode. Also we have two batteries, I guess because of the generator. Any advice would be helpful.

mjudkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:57 PM   #2

Yea, you're gonna have to put a secondary battery kill switch directly at the battery. That's what I did and haven't had a problem since. It's the parasite draw from carbon monoxide, smoke detector etc.. Even keeping a battery tender on the batteries with the "factory" switch turned off wasn't enough to keep my batteries good.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Yea, you're gonna have to put a secondary battery kill switch directly at the battery. That's what I did and haven't had a problem since. It's the parasite draw from carbon monoxide, smoke detector etc.. Even keeping a battery tender on the batteries with the "factory" switch turned off wasn't enough to keep my batteries good.

I see. How do you do that, and which battery would I need to connect it to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-03-2017, 03:14 PM   #4

Buy one of these https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-701-B...aattery+swithc
Then connect all the negative (white) wires from the RV to the switch. Run a wire from the switch to the negative battery terminal. I have (2) 12 batteries running in parallel.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:16 PM   #5

Sorry, I don't have a pic of the install I completed and my 377 is at dealer for warranty work. Otherwise I'd take a pic for you.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:41 PM   #6

No problem, thanks for the info. I will give it a try. It's crazy to me how fast the battery drains. My TT took several months for the battery to get low.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #7

Were you running the fridge on propane when the battery died? The bigger fridge in the 377 uses much more 12v juice to run than any previous propane fridge that I've had. Also, check the antenna booster (in the compartment over the living room television). If that's left on, its yet another parasite load.

My 377 was delivered with a single 12v battery. That was replaced by four 6v golf-cart batteries, when I installed my solar panel system. Even if I hadn't done the solar, I wouldn't try to use a 5'er with as many electrical features as the 377 has on a single battery.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #8

I had same problem with my 377 so I added 2 additional interstate batteries. Total of 3. It's only been a few weeks but no more issues so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wayne70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #9

I have 5 interstate batteries and keep a solar panel/controller on the plug in the water connection area. I also hear that the auto level system drains the battery with the factory kill switch open also. The Onan gen really sucks juice on starting so 2 batteries should be a minimum with a generator.
NorthPoint5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoint5r View Post
I have 5 interstate batteries and keep a solar panel/controller on the plug in the water connection area.
The solar connection in the water connection panel is a simple 12v connection, using 12awg wire. There is no controller in the system, so if you plug in an external panel, it will need to have it's own controller. Also note that a 12v connection, that far from the batteries, will only allow for a "trickle charge" to make it to the panels. Fine for maintaining the batteries when the unit isn't being used, but not much more.

Since my solar system is a roof mounted 300w system, I use this 12v connection to power my macerator pump, when it's needed.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote