Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #1

Battery During Winter

Hi, I still have my fifth wheel hooked up to house power because I'm bringing it to dealer next week for some warranty work. Temps the last couple of days have gone below freezing. Next week a couple of nights are going below freezing. Think this will be a problem? Normally I take it out for the winter. I live in Massachusetts and several days are going to be in the 40's. Thanks

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk
richie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #2

So your trailer is winterized, has power from your house, and you are only worried about the battery? Correct?

As long as your battery is fully charged (trailer converter/charger is switched on and ~13.6v going to the battery) you will not have a problem. If your battery is discharged and the weather gets cold, then your battery could freeze.

(BTW, dealers are notorious for letting batteries discharge while on their lot.)
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #3

Not an issue, I would check the fluid levels of the cells. Top them off with DISTILLED WATER if low. Batteries can handle the cold if fully charged.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
So your trailer is winterized, has power from your house, and you are only worried about the battery? Correct?

As long as your battery is fully charged (trailer converter/charger is switched on and ~13.6v going to the battery) you will not have a problem. If your battery is discharged and the weather gets cold, then your battery could freeze.

(BTW, dealers are notorious for letting batteries discharge while on their lot.)
Thanks. Battery is charged.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Not an issue, I would check the fluid levels of the cells. Top them off with DISTILLED WATER if low. Batteries can handle the cold if fully charged.
Water levels are good. Battery charged. Thanks.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #6

I would make sure the battery disconnect switch is off, let the dealer know its off and if they need to use it turn off when done, may be wishful thinking but worth a try.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #7

Despite my best efforts to keep the batteries charged I've lost a couple. To eliminate that I installed a plug timer which charges the batteries once a week for about 4 to 6 hours then turns off. Since I've installed the timer I haven't lost a battery and when I've checked the batteries have a nice charge on them.