Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2019, 07:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Yes it is
Mine is a Whirlpool........but probably all the same.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:20 PM   #22

Battery life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Mine is a Whirlpool........but probably all the same.

I need to go check. I thought it was Frigidaire but maybe it is whirlpool

Edit: yes it is Frigidaire gallery

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #23

Was just thinking. (sometimes not a good thing) I have heard that a propane/electric refrigrator will keep things cold for 3 to 5 hours of traveling time if you do not open it. Will not a residential fridge do the same for a few hours? If you turn the fridge off will it conserve power until you get to camp or plugged in? Remember we have propane/ele fridge is all the I have experance with.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke4857 View Post
Was just thinking. (sometimes not a good thing) I have heard that a propane/electric refrigrator will keep things cold for 3 to 5 hours of traveling time if you do not open it. Will not a residential fridge do the same for a few hours? If you turn the fridge off will it conserve power until you get to camp or plugged in? Remember we have propane/ele fridge is all the I have experance with.

Yes. I will often travel with no inverter if it’s a short trip. The fridge actually stays cold. The freezer warms up to around 26-29 after 4 hours.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Yes it is
You can make your refrigerator go into defrost. I think I sent that info to klassic at one time.

When I get a chance I'll see if I can find that again and send it to you.

Thinking if you put refrigerator in defrost mode the morning you leave on long trip (when still on shore power) it should not go into defrost mode again for a long time.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:06 AM   #26

That would be great Jack. Thanks

Old 03-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #27

I did a little research and learned you can manually switch the fridge into defrost mode by pressing and holding the fridge up and down buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds. Then the freezer temp will display “d” and fridge temp will display “f”

When in defrost mode, the fridge uses 5 amps according to my EMS display.

Now I need to see what happens when I disconnect from shore power and switch to inverter after manually starting the defrost mode. Does the fridge have a memory or timer? Maybe I need to have inverter on at same time so fridge doesn’t loose power?

Next I’m going to check the wiring, especially the ground, to the inverter and the 7 way

Hopefully I can travel with inverter on and not arrive at CG with dead batteries

Old 03-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #28

Tom what is the voltage reading on the inverter with the truck plugged in and running? I'm thinking when I plug up to the truck it's around 13.4
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #29

I also keep my trailer plug in to shore power all the time when at home. I do not turn the inverter off. I was thinking it would automatically go to shore power when available.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
Tom what is the voltage reading on the inverter with the truck plugged in and running? I'm thinking when I plug up to the truck it's around 13.4

I’ve got some honey do chores to take care of but I’ll be testing the voltage later today. I also keep my trailer plugged in at home but I do not keep the inverter on. Maybe I should

Old 03-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #31

Quote:
I’ve got some honey do chores to take care of but I’ll be testing the voltage later today. I also keep my trailer plugged in at home but I do not keep the inverter on. Maybe I should
Tom, I'm plugged in 24/7 and have NEVER shut off the inverter since taking delivery in April, 2018. I believe my inverter has a battery maintainer built into it............does that sound right.......I'm not the brightest star when it comes down to electronics
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 03-23-2019, 11:03 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Tom, I'm plugged in 24/7 and have NEVER shut off the inverter since taking delivery in April, 2018. I believe my inverter has a battery maintainer built into it............does that sound right.......I'm not the brightest star when it comes down to electronics

Electronics is not my strong suit either Al [emoji23]

But I’d say if you’ve never shut it of in over a year, there’s got to be some kind of protection built in.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #33

Battery life

Ok I snuck away from chores to do a quick test. Here are my results. Please feel free to make comments or suggestions

Voltage at truck 14.1
Voltage at Xantrex panel on shore power 13.4
Voltage plugged in and on shore 14.1
Voltage truck plugged in only 12.8

So, my problem seems to be getting all the power to the inverter

Edit

Just for grins I manually turned on the defrost and voltage dropped to 11.4

Old 03-23-2019, 11:23 AM   #34

What's the voltage read on the Xantrex with nothing plugged in?

With the truck off plug in trailer. Start truck check voltage.
If it's not over 13 try working the brake controller manually and see if that works.
I have read something about a charging relay somewhere.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #35

Starts off at 13.1-13.2 but drops within 30 seconds to 12.8

I did check the level up control panel and voltage was similar but .2 higher

I did touch the brakes when plugged in (always use brakes getting out of my driveway too for that matter) so I’m guessing power was at the 7 way

Old 03-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #36
Site Team

The days of Ford just designing with a breaker for supplying 12VDC to the trailer are long gone. When I researched the towing circuit with Ford, they said that the cable feeding the trailer is not considered a charging cable any more, it is just to supply 12VDC to the trailer.

Take a look at my F150 album and look at the circuit for supplying power to the trailer.

Have fun!!!

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #37

I was always under the impression that the "charge line" was just a trickel charge any way.
I before I had a gererator I would hook up jumper cables to the camp trailer batteries while the TV motor was running to charge the batteries while dry camping.
I will have to check the amps I get to the trailer plug now with the Ram 1500 we have just for giggles. I never checked the 1988 and 1990 Suburbans I had to see how many amps went back to the trailer.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:21 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
The days of Ford just designing with a breaker for supplying 12VDC to the trailer are long gone. When I researched the towing circuit with Ford, they said that the cable feeding the trailer is not considered a charging cable any more, it is just to supply 12VDC to the trailer.

Take a look at my F150 album and look at the circuit for supplying power to the trailer.

Have fun!!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR

Don

Here’s what I’m thinking about...tell me what you think

Get some jumper cables and cut off the clamps.

On one end attach ring terminals to connect to truck battery. On the other end (ran to back bumper) attach Anderson connector.

Make a jumper wire to go from truck to trailer with Anderson plugs on each end.

Attach wire to trailer batteries using same procedure with ring terminals on battery side and Anderson connection on king pin side.

I could connect the jumper wire while towing and remove it when not needed.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #39

All, I also do not shut down the inverter. My PDI was performed at the Jayco factory with one of their people. There was never a mention of a need to shut down the inverter for anything. My understanding was that when you plug into shore power that automatically takes over supplying power to unit. Only thing that over rides that is if generator is running, then gen. takes control of power supply. I did have a guy at an RV repair shop that wanted to change which wire was supplying power to the batteries when plugged to the truck, he said that the wire was not heavy enough to supply the needed amps to keep the batteries charged when towing. I did not have that done due to I have not had any problem keeping batteries charged (2, 12V deep cycle) when towing, usually 6 to 8 hrs a day.
Ram Laramie 3500, asin, 4x4, DRW 4:10.
2018 NORTH POINT 315, 8K Axles,disk brakes and 17.5"
WayneTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:37 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneTaylor View Post
All, I also do not shut down the inverter. My PDI was performed at the Jayco factory with one of their people. There was never a mention of a need to shut down the inverter for anything. My understanding was that when you plug into shore power that automatically takes over supplying power to unit. Only thing that over rides that is if generator is running, then gen. takes control of power supply. I did have a guy at an RV repair shop that wanted to change which wire was supplying power to the batteries when plugged to the truck, he said that the wire was not heavy enough to supply the needed amps to keep the batteries charged when towing. I did not have that done due to I have not had any problem keeping batteries charged (2, 12V deep cycle) when towing, usually 6 to 8 hrs a day.
Wayne, after looking at the members that are having problems, it seems they all have Ford trucks It appears the RAM folks are doing okay Hmmmm
Formerly from Sequim, WA