Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2017, 04:47 AM   #1

Battery question

1999 Designer 2930. Purchased late in season last year, have not spent a night in it yet.
I bought 2 new Interstate RV/Marine deep cycle batteries for it because none were in it. I've been keeping the camper plugged in, parked in my driveway. Nothing (refrigerator, A/C, heat, etc.) is in operation to place a draw on the system.
I've been told it's best not to keep it plugged into 120 while not in use because it will shorten the life of the batteries. How can this be? Isn't there a voltage regulator of some type that would prevent overcharging? Do the batteries even charge while plugged in to begin with?
Much of this is new to me, so I figured I'd come to some Jayco vets and ask around. Thank you.
Inspector 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:13 AM   #2
Site Team

Find out the specs on the converter that is in your unit online. That age may not have a smart converter that will trickle charge.

If not a small investment in a better one may solve the problem.

Newer rigs have smart converters that keep the batteries fully charged and
desulfated automatically.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #3

If your converter/charger is not a smart mode type it will will only put out 13.6VDC which is known to boil out your battery fluids over time...

Once the battery fluids are boiled out then the battery usually ends up with a shorted cell- game over...

You can continue to use this setup but you must start a weekly inspection of checking for boiled out fluids...

The best thing to do is change out your single mode converter/battery charger for a smart mode charger like the IOTA or PD series. Do not go for the WFCO WF series replacements as the older ones are known for never going into smart mode charging which will boil out your battery fluids just like the single mode charge does......

I use the PD9260C charger unit for my 255AH battery bank...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #4

A while back I had a Jayco 'expandable" about that age. It had an converter/charger that wasn't "smart", but by simply adding a plug-in module to the converter, it became "smart". It plugged into a jack similar to a phone jack, and cost about $25 as I recall.

Only had that unit for two years, so I don't recall the specifics, but do a search with your make/model converter, and you may find that it can be upgraded.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #5

I think the previous owner had it replaced a few years ago. I'll have to dig through all of the paperwork and find out exactly what I'm working with.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:20 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
I think the previous owner had it replaced a few years ago. I'll have to dig through all of the paperwork and find out exactly what I'm working with.
The make/model should be on the unit. Check that out first to insure that you are looking at the correct unit. You can then do a GOOGLE search to get the information you need.

Good Luck,

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:22 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
A while back I had a Jayco 'expandable" about that age. It had an converter/charger that wasn't "smart", but by simply adding a plug-in module to the converter, it became "smart". It plugged into a jack similar to a phone jack, and cost about $25 as I recall.

Only had that unit for two years, so I don't recall the specifics, but do a search with your make/model converter, and you may find that it can be upgraded.
The older PD converters had a optional plug in you could purchase called a Charge Wizard. Starting in about 2005 or 2006 they started coming with that option as standard.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:31 PM   #8

Smile

I added that Charge Wizard to my 2004 Greyhawk 27 DS. It was a simple plug-in with lights to indicate the current (Ha) mode of charging. It cost just over $30 if I remember correctly.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
The older PD converters had a optional plug in you could purchase called a Charge Wizard. Starting in about 2005 or 2006 they started coming with that option as standard.
Bingo! It does in fact have an Intellipower 9100. Just jumped on Amazon and ordered the PD9105 Charge Wizard.
In the meantime, since nothing is being used I've unplugged the camper from 120. Hopefully these last couple of weeks haven't boiled the batteries. Haven't had time to check 'em out.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #10

Although you have now disconnected the 120 volts to the camper You may want to also disconnect the batteries so they don't discharge due to parasitic draw from items that are still drawing power IE lights that didn't get turned off Clock in the radio CO/Propane detector etc.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote