Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2021, 06:20 PM   #1

Battery question

I have a 2021 NP. I’m currently camping and could smell a bad odor coming from the coach. I found that one of the batteries must have overheated and smelled like rotten eggs. I disconnected the coach from shore power and removed the bad battery. I reconnected the good battery and I’m back in business.

Questions 1 - the battery is less than a year old so I’m not sure what caused this. Anyone with any ideas? It is an interstate deep cycle marine battery.

Question 2 - Am I good with just one battery? We don’t dry camp and only camp with hookups. I would think I would only need the battery to assist with hooking, unhooking.

Question 3 - if I should replace any, suggestions? A friend recommended golf cart batteries. He tried to explain voltage and lost me. I’m not mechanical or technical. If some could explain why that’s a good idea I’m sure if I read it instead of listen, it would make sense.

Grumpy, I know you’re out there, I’m listening!
Trublu1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:41 PM   #2

Questions on what do you have in trailer?
Residential Fridge and inverter?
Given you have two batteries it's a guess.
As far as the failed battery it could have just gone bad. Shorted internally.
If it where me I would replace the battery

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:43 PM   #3

1. I would try for a warranty replacement if it had a 1 year gaurantee. Why it died? Could have been overcharged, ran dry, or poor workmanship
2. Why not, the only need for a battery is for the emergency braking and when you are not plugged in. Lights, water pump and maybe fridge controls while traveling.
3. Golf cart batteries (2 6 volt batteries together make 12 volts) are more hardy and take more punishment from use but based on your "no dry camping" you don't really need them and they are more expensive.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trublu1068 View Post
I have a 2021 NP. I’m currently camping and could smell a bad odor coming from the coach. I found that one of the batteries must have overheated and smelled like rotten eggs. I disconnected the coach from shore power and removed the bad battery. I reconnected the good battery and I’m back in business.

Questions 1 - the battery is less than a year old so I’m not sure what caused this. Anyone with any ideas? It is an interstate deep cycle marine battery.

Question 2 - Am I good with just one battery? We don’t dry camp and only camp with hookups. I would think I would only need the battery to assist with hooking, unhooking.

Question 3 - if I should replace any, suggestions? A friend recommended golf cart batteries. He tried to explain voltage and lost me. I’m not mechanical or technical. If some could explain why that’s a good idea I’m sure if I read it instead of listen, it would make sense.

Grumpy, I know you’re out there, I’m listening!
Give interstate a call. They are excellent to deal with. Your battery should be under warranty. Normally you just take it to any interstate dealer and they will replace it.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:50 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
What was said above, the large 6 volt batteries are far more robust, bigger plates. They will hold up much better to over charging, vibration and to draining. Still don't want to over charge though
Old 07-06-2021, 07:53 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies. I do not have a residential fridge.

How do the batteries over charge? When I had a bumper pull, I pulled the batteries after every trip and put them on a trickle charger. I never had any problems. When I bought this one, the dealer told me not to take them out. He told me as long as I use the battery disconnect, they should be good between trips. Between trips for us can be a few months. When I took it in for some warranty stuff they told me to not turn off the disconnect. When I got the coach back, the batteries were dead. They haven’t been the same since. I plug in a couple days before we leave to charge them.

Thoughts on taking them out after each trip or leaving them in? What do you do?
Trublu1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 04:25 AM   #7

The co propane detector will kill those batteries in a couple weeks
You got bad advice and damaged one battery by fully discharging it
Just my thinking... If you are leaving it sitting and no pedistal power disconnect batteries always. If sitting months pull batteries and trickle charge as you where doing

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:15 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
Yup, if you can leave plugged in to shore power, that's helpful as most have a built in maintainer, if not available, pull batteries if it's gonna be an extended time, and use triple charger or battery maintainer as you were. 12 bolt batteries aren't really "true" deep cycle, once they drain beyond a certain point they're done for good. That is where the 6 volt will shine. Also, you can add another disconnect like I did, the one I installed completely "removes" the battery, the one built in still allows the co2 monitors to use battery like said above.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:31 AM   #9

Take the battery to any dealer and they can put a draw test on it and tell you exactly what's up.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote