Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2019, 09:26 PM   #1
BJC

Battery Storage Question

Newbie here, Bought a 2020 Pinnacle 32RTLS, the battery compartment is segregated into two sections. Looks like each bay can comfortably accommodate 3 batteries (total of 6). 2 Questions:

1. Has anyone used a Marine group 8D battery? Any issues as I like the power storage potential.
2. Thoughts on running 6 batteries in parallel or is it better to run in 2 3 battery banks? 1 3 battery bank? Etc?? Current setup is 2 cheap batteries in parallel.

Havent looked at the charging system yet but assuming I’d need to match with the battery supply. Did have an Onan Gen installed as well but would be nice to have a lot of deep cycle storage as a courtesy to others around.

BTW, great site. Have already benefited.
BJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:15 PM   #2

I just ordered a 32rtls and will be installing qty four (vamaxtanks) - 6 volt batteries (225AH each) 2 + 2 in parallel. (450 AH total) Plenty. 6 volt batteries will outlast 12v battery deep cycles.
The dimensions of that four pack will fit nicely after installing in a plastic battery box with vents.
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:58 AM   #3

I swapped out the 2 cheap group 24 12v lead acids the dealer installed with 2 group 27 Duracell AGM’s. No more water and battery acid and they can tolerate a deeper discharge more often.
Number of banks doesn’t matter so long as it all ads up to 12v. In other words if they are all 12v then they are all in parallel. If 4 x 6v, then 2 banks of 2 each in series to make 12v each bank, then those 2 banks in parallel. If 6 x 6v then 3 banks of 2 each and then all 3 banks in parallel.

Just watch out for those cables; one of the positive battery lug terminals came off in my hand- never crimped right. Good way to start a fire never mind trouble shooting gremlins.

Welcome to the forum!
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edutron View Post
I just ordered a 32rtls and will be installing qty four (vamaxtanks) - 6 volt batteries (225AH each) 2 + 2 in parallel. (450 AH total) Plenty. 6 volt batteries will outlast 12v battery deep cycles.
The dimensions of that four pack will fit nicely after installing in a plastic battery box with vents.
This is the setup I installed, put solar panels on top and 1800w inverter. Haven’t used a generator all summer. I just make sure I have hook ups if I want to run AC.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #5
BJC

Thanks everyone, certainly appreciate the feedback. I will likely run either to 8D batteries or 6 group 27’s for the amp hours. Still setting everything up at this stage. I have learned a lot reading and researching posts on the site. Great his to all!
Old 11-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJC View Post
Thanks everyone, certainly appreciate the feedback. I will likely run either to 8D batteries or 6 group 27’s for the amp hours. Still setting everything up at this stage. I have learned a lot reading and researching posts on the site. Great his to all!
Will those batteries fit with a generator? I know four 6 volt will and four 12 volt also I believe.
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
BJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edutron View Post
Will those batteries fit with a generator? I know four 6 volt will and four 12 volt also I believe.
Should fit fine, with the gen in the remaining space is 24” deep by 29” wide. It comes equipped with two separate battery straps. Can fit three deep in both slots.

PS, are you installing the gen or having it installed? The dealer I had couldn’t figure out how to sync it with the BMPRO command center. It’s actually quite easy once you know how to do it. Can walk you through the sequence if needed.