Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2024, 12:44 PM   #1

Battery Update and Inverter Installation

It's time for me to upgrade my old wetcell batteries. I am looking for suggestions regarding deep cycle batteries (2) and in Inverter systems to go with it. We are looking for energy storage for 2 or 3 day trips. I would also like to hear if someone has suggestions to include a portable solar kit. We are in a Jayco Eagle HT 25.5 5th wheel.
jaycobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 02:02 PM   #2

Go Lithium and add panels to your roof if yours is solar prepped. Only other thing you'll need to get is a charge controller. I did this and love it. Can go days without commercial power or a generator.
2022 F350 Lariat Premium Stone grey CCLB SRW 7.3 4:30*
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
mkrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:16 PM   #3

mkren and I and a host of other agree that Lithium is so much better than lead batteries. I suspect you agree that lighter in weight by close to 50%, 100% of charge is usable without damage, no water to add, much longer life all make lithium my choice.
Note, I like Renogy, good people, USA presence, good gaurantee, been around a while, and have bluetooth reporting of state of charge.
Loved camping at Great Sand Dunes NP with no electric and no worries as my solar brought the battery back to 100% every day even with heavy use.
If you do go Renogy get a referral from buyer like me as the last time I checked they still give 7% off with a member referral.
Renogy has a bunch of beginner and intermediate how to videos on their website Renogy.com look for learn. A lot of it relates to solar but the rest of the system is discussed in terms I figured out.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 06:48 PM   #4

There are a lot of reason to convert to Lithium vice flooded lead acid batteries. Even if you have to purchase a $250 converter. Twice the usable power availability. Less weight and size difference. Rate of charge faster. I have a 28.5 rsts with solar prep. Have changed the Converter. Replaced the single Lead Acid with two 100 AH Li time batteries for less than $600 total. Now I am working on Solar. This Jayco is suposed to be wired but I can't seem to find the wires. Good Luck.
Mcburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 07:13 PM   #5

I will add another big reason why to go with LifePo4 now, is that the prices have never been lower for LifePo4 batteries and I suspect with inflation that the prices now will not be seen even next year or perhaps ever again. ~CA