Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2022, 03:18 PM   #1

battery upgrade

My 2017 Jayco eagle 5th wheel came from the factory with a single 12 v battery.
I am wanting to remove this battery and replace it with 4 200 amp batteries.
My dilemma is this. I know the four batteries have to be wired in parallel, but how do I wire it to the existing wires in the rv. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,Gordon
Gordy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
My dilemma is this. I know the four batteries have to be wired in parallel, but how do I wire it to the existing wires in the rv. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,Gordon
Just like you said, connect the batteries together and connect the same wires that came off the original battery and go into the rv and connect the same wires to the new batteries
Old 01-18-2022, 05:39 PM   #3

visit TSC, or someplace similar, and pickup some heavy duty cables... short ones, both red and black, so you can connect each battery to it's neighbor. Get 1 gauge if available (these are thick).

I have three batteries and there was very little room for them. Flooded batteries use water. Be aware, you'll want to check their water level monthly. Get yourself a battery hydrometer too. One of my three batteries had a bad cell. New battery too. This lowered all my batteries ability to hold a charge. Use distilled water (Walmart) and you may want to get a dispenser to make it easier.

Water is only an issue with flooded batteries. If you want to track how long you can run your camper off your batteries (based upon real-time loads, you'll want a SmartShunt which goes inline on your negative cable.

PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
Thanks,Gordon
Also you can pick up a lug crimper on Amazon and lugs, that way you can make your own cables exactly the right length instead of looping them or having big wide bends. Use heat shrink tubing with glue on the ends
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2022, 09:42 PM   #5

I would love to hear more about the batteries that you have chosen.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:07 PM   #6

Are you talking about the right thing?
4 12v 200ah lead acid batteries would be around 500lbs of batteries and I can’t picture an Eagle having room for them as they would be huge
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:09 PM   #7

battery upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Are you talking about the right thing?
4 12v 200ah lead acid batteries would be around 500lbs of batteries and I can’t picture an Eagle having room for them as they would be huge

The 200amp Lead acid that I have seen are sealed, 134# each and around $300 each. The 536 pounds would add to hitch weight but in my case I would still be within limits. They would fit in my Eagle especially if the battery shelving setup was removed, which is a weak useless setup anyway.
The real issue is 400 amps “useable” is a lot, for what? Need a big inverter to make it usable. It certainly would make Boondocking for a few days easy. Maybe even a week if it was warm.

That said I would rather have 200 amps of lithium batteries and it would cost about the same and weigh around 61 pounds.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:38 AM   #8

Our Pinnacle was delivered with 6 12v batteries. These batteries have lasted 5 years and it is time to replace them. They will take a charge but will not hold a charge very long. The FW is at CW for regular maintenance and I told them I’m aware the batteries need to be replaced but I will do that later. I don’t want to pay their prices on 6 batteries. They said I could only replace 2 batteries or run the entire rig on just 2 batteries. First, if I’m going to keep 6 batteries, I would not just replace 2. The 4 older batteries would draw down and possibly shorten the life of the 2 good batteries. Why would Jayco deliver the FW with 6 batteries if 2 batteries is enough to run the rig? Am I missing something or should I stay the course and continue to use the battery setup as delivered?

RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCrockett View Post
Our Pinnacle was delivered with 6 12v batteries. These batteries have lasted 5 years and it is time to replace them. They will take a charge but will not hold a charge very long. The FW is at CW for regular maintenance and I told them I’m aware the batteries need to be replaced but I will do that later. I don’t want to pay their prices on 6 batteries. They said I could only replace 2 batteries or run the entire rig on just 2 batteries. First, if I’m going to keep 6 batteries, I would not just replace 2. The 4 older batteries would draw down and possibly shorten the life of the 2 good batteries. Why would Jayco deliver the FW with 6 batteries if 2 batteries is enough to run the rig? Am I missing something or should I stay the course and continue to use the battery setup as delivered?

Jayco doesn’t put the batteries in. That’s up to the dealer. I can’t believe you got 6 and didn’t make a special request. I got 1 small cheapo, and I have the residential fridge. I have heard people getting 2 when they have a residential fridge but that is rare too.
If you never go without shore power and have the residential , then two decent 12v would be fine.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:33 AM   #10

ETCrockett, 6 12v batteries????? WOW !!!! That is almost un-heard of. 2017 Pinnacle 37MDQS and my 2021 Pinnacle 32RLTS both came with residential fridges and both came with only two 12v batteries. Never an issue nor have I really ever needed to upgrade. So strange to hear you got 6. As Klassic said, either way they we're special ordered or your Dealer did something SPECIAL for you. SKIDAWG
2022 RAM 3500 6.7L
Ruger, Rhodesian Ridgebacks
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:40 AM   #11

Make sure that all jumper connections to each battery are at the same lenghts.
Attached Thumbnails
wiring-batteries-parallel-series.jpg  
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:33 AM   #12

Quote:

I'm guessing the 6 are lead acid. You could install 200 a/h lithium and probably end up with close to the same output. You can now get a 200 a/h for $1000 The dealer that sold the rv new would have installed the 6 batteries and added them to the cost
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:41 PM   #13

[QUOTE=ETCrockett;1023205] Why would Jayco deliver the FW with 6 batteries if 2 batteries is enough to run the rig? /QUOTE]

Quickest answer is they didn't. Jayco doesn't deliver trailers with batteries in them. Dealers furnish batteries. The delivery contractors use a separate owned battery to deliver. Mostly for breakaway. The running and brake lights and brakes run from their 7 way.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Jayco doesn’t put the batteries in. That’s up to the dealer. I can’t believe you got 6 and didn’t make a special request. I got 1 small cheapo, and I have the residential fridge. I have heard people getting 2 when they have a residential fridge but that is rare too.
If you never go without shore power and have the residential , then two decent 12v would be fine.
I have the residential fridge on mine as well. We don’t boondock often except at the racetrack. With the 6 12v batteries I can easily go 8 hours before the voltage drops down enough to run the portable generator. Does having 6 batteries give me the overall extra life being they lasted 5 years?

Here is a picture of the setup. There are 3 batteries on each shelf.
Attached Thumbnails
D0F319FF-3865-49C8-98C2-1633DB2C440E.jpg  
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:23 PM   #15

Quote:
I have the residential fridge on mine as well. We don’t boondock often except at the racetrack. With the 6 12v batteries I can easily go 8 hours before the voltage drops down enough to run the portable generator. Does having 6 batteries give me the overall extra life being they lasted 5 years?

Just wondering what gauge cables did they use. My Jayco came with 2/0 welding cable
Old 01-20-2022, 12:41 AM   #16

Quote:

I did the same, two batteries on each shelf. The rivets gave way and the top shelf fell on top of the bottom batteries. Must have hit to many pot holes over a rough Wyoming mountain pass. I’m now removing the whole setup, putting the batteries on the bottom and inverter, shunt and other wiring above.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:38 AM   #17

When we got our Pinnacle I asked for 2 6 volt batteries. We rarely are without shore power so no issue running our residential fridge. They will also operate the jacks and slides when needed but I'm not sure how many cycles it would take to run them down. I'm hoping I never find out. We had 2 6 volts on our previous fifth wheel which also had a residential fridge and never had an issue in the 7 years we owned it. I have Trojan batteries as did our previous fifth wheel.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:57 PM   #18

Time to look at lithium batteries...you need half of the capacity (because you can use the entire capacity instead of just 50% for lead acid) and they weigh only about half.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are some nuances to be aware of but well worth the super easy conversion. BTW...the out of pocket is more but they are supposed to last twice as long, will have to wait and see on that one.

Prices have come down by almost half in the past 1-2 years...so now is a good time to do it.
mjanssentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:17 PM   #19

Bite the bullet and go lithium. Go to Battle Born Batteries and review their comparison between lead acid and lithium. What sold me was how many times they can be discharged and re charged plus constant voltage rather than decreasing voltage as the discharge. Battle Born has a 10 year warranty so if you trade/sell the RV take them with you
bearkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:50 PM   #20

Gordon - I am having a similar conversation in another thread. I would guess the converter on your 2017 is similar to the converter on my 2018 NP and won't charge lithiums without some change / upgrade to the converter. It was news to me so thought I would share.
Slurugger is offline   Reply With Quote