Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2019, 01:27 PM   #1

Question Bedroom Door Not Closing

We have a 2019 North Point and have been living in since January. Our bedroom door will not latch. I have tried to adjust the strike plate but still not latching. Any ideas of what I can do and is this something that is common?
Britt Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:41 PM   #2

Our daughter had problems closing their exterior and interior doors on their travel trailer, they found it was because they were putting too much pressure on the frame when leveling with the scissor jacks. They now do a better job leveling with blocks under the tires and the front jack then just slightly tighten up the scissor jacks to stabilize the trailer. Doors all work fine now.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:44 PM   #3

Of course with a 5th wheel, the auto levelers “should” not cause any of those issues. Did you add any additional jacks to stabilize the rv?
Old 05-29-2019, 03:45 PM   #4

You either move the strike plate up, down, in, or out, and if the gap is too big, shim behind the hinges.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:55 PM   #5

no...no adds
Britt Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Our daughter had problems closing their exterior and interior doors on their travel trailer, they found it was because they were putting too much pressure on the frame when leveling with the scissor jacks. They now do a better job leveling with blocks under the tires and the front jack then just slightly tighten up the scissor jacks to stabilize the trailer. Doors all work fine now.
I see this too. Our bath and bedroom doors will sometimes be more difficult to close or open, they will always latch but sometimes require more force. It’s different every time I set up and sometimes it’s perfect. I put it down to my leveling abilities (or lack thereof). If you are in a permanent spot your 5th may not have been leveled carefully.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #7

As Gary said, you probably need more adjustment on the strike plate. If you just remove the strike plate, will the latch hold in the opening in the wood? If so, and you don’t want new screws holes by moving the strike plate a bunch, you could increase the size of the strike plate hole in a particular direction by filing some material away. Just need to figure out what part needs enlarging. It’s probably too low or too high. Look real close, maybe with a flashlight to see where is not aligned.

Tags
5th wheel doors, north point problems