Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2020, 06:13 PM   #1

Bedroom slide problems

We have a 2019 Pinnacle 36SSWS and the bedroom slide will barely go in and out. It struggles to go in and out we have a hard time getting it to open or close completely. We have already replaced one motor on it. We are the second owner, just having bought it a month ago. Our rv tech says the whole slide mechanism needs to be rebuilt. The previous owner had the slide worked on twice for the same issue and it still has three months left on the factory warranty, but Jayco refuses to offer any assistance. Has any other pinnacle owners had bedroom slide issues?
Sanddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:05 PM   #2

We have your rig, year and model. While at Vogt RV in Ft Worth for sidewall crack repair this July, the service manager pulled us aside to point out a problem with our inside BR slide (that's the Schwintec). He explained that when you peel back the rubber seal in front of the lower slide, there is a wheel below the lower slide track that has a convex "V" shape profile that runs in a concave "V" shape of the slide rack and that should bear no weight and just provide lateral guidance. He explained that you should be able to spin the wheel freely and that this is the first thing he checks when he sees a new rig. On our rig, the lower rack was clearly resting its weight on the wheel. He then took us inside and noted that the slide roller wheel was eroding a trough in the floor. We keep our ottoman, normally stationed in the living area, at the foot of the bed, so really never noticed it.

Anyway, we have modified our travel plans to return to Vogt at the end of January to rebuild the slide mechanism.

We also have a problem with the outer BR slide (Slimrack). I firmly believe that the top and bottom racks are off by gear tooth or two, as there is a 3/4" gap inside at the bottom slide, where the top of the slide is flush with the wall. Also, when we have to prepare for travel day, I always push from the outside with all my might to get the outer slide flush with the outside wall.

Both the Schwintec and the Slimrack are similar slide systems; they use small electric motors (like you find in your drill) buried in the wall, that are geared down to 300+ ratios to provide torque to a shaft that runs both upper and lower racks at once. They both use the Hall Effect to count the revolutions on each motor in order to keep them synchronized. It's extraordinarily clever in my opinion, but the guys at Vogt RV- and other techs I have talked to- say that they are often over used and overloaded.

Anyway SandDog, I hope that this helps with providing context and ideas; maybe it's stuff you already know. Most other problems we have had were self-inflected. We love our rig as a home for two years now and hope you do well.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:10 PM   #3

I meant to add pictures of the Schwintec racks I was talking about...

That wheel is not meant to bare weight and should spin freely, providing lateral guidance only. Ours does not spin and is under pressure. You can see it deflected to one side.
Attached Thumbnails
BR_Slide_Roller_Right.jpg  
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Old 10-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. It is very helpful. I will show the rv tech this post when he comes out to look at it.
Sanddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:55 AM   #5

This looks very similar to what this guy is fixing. For those of you who haven’t stumbled on this guy yet, he is amazing!

https://youtu.be/DrQwqJqAbS8

No,, it’s not a Schwintek system but it’s another example of a slide bearing weight down on components that were never designed to take that kind of load.
Pchansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post

That wheel is not meant to bare weight and should spin freely, providing lateral guidance only. Ours does not spin and is under pressure. You can see it deflected to one side.

Interesting. Pretty certain mine won’t turn on either the bedroom or kitchen slide. Where is the weight supposed to be held? On the racks? My kitchen slide for example, the floor of the slide rests on the floor of the trailer when closed, but when open I’d assume the weight transfers to the racks and those rollers partially?
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchansen View Post
This looks very similar to what this guy is fixing. For those of you who haven’t stumbled on this guy yet, he is amazing!

https://youtu.be/DrQwqJqAbS8

No,, it’s not a Schwintek system but it’s another example of a slide bearing weight down on components that were never designed to take that kind of load.
X2. This guy is great and fun to watch. There are some videos that are Schwintek specific.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:53 AM   #8

Quote:
I meant to add pictures of the Schwintec racks I was talking about...That wheel is not meant to bare weight and should spin freely, providing lateral guidance only. Ours does not spin and is under pressure. You can see it deflected to one side.
Angus, I checked mine on the bedroom slide and they do not turn and are slightly cocked over but not quite as much as yours. What can we do about it? I have a feeling Jayco would shrug us off if we presented that problem.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Interesting. Pretty certain mine won’t turn on either the bedroom or kitchen slide. Where is the weight supposed to be held? On the racks? My kitchen slide for example, the floor of the slide rests on the floor of the trailer when closed, but when open I’d assume the weight transfers to the racks and those rollers partially?

I won't know a lot more until late January; that's when we are working back to Ft Worth to see Vogt RV and have them work on both bedroom slides. But I'll be sure to get the full info then.
Angus
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Old 10-22-2020, 08:00 AM   #10

Quote:
I won't know a lot more until late January; that's when we are working back to Ft Worth to see Vogt RV and have them work on both bedroom slides. But I'll be sure to get the full info then.
Angus
Good............anxious to hear.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:25 AM   #11

Quote:

On my 30.5 CKTS the bedroom wardrobe slide is supported by those wheels, there are no rollers anywhere under the slide. Looking at it, the way the wiring harness runs, there would be no way to put rollers under this slide. My kitchen slide has numerous rollers underneath, and they are all carrying weight, yet the Schwintek rollers are next to impossible to rotate while extended. None of them appear to be leaning or showing signs of wear...yet.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:21 PM   #12

Both my slide upper and lower wheels will
Not turn on both slides
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #13

try to run slide in manual override

I find that the Schwintek mechanisms sometimes run like they are overloaded, or under-powered.

If you know where the controller is (for the bedroom slide, likely in the compartment [basement ceiling?] below), put it into manual override then run the slide. This powers the drive motors much more robustly, like they should move IMO.

instructions here:

I had timing issues with an earlier 5er (Forrest River) and had to do this regularly.
Not a solution, but maybe a way to get it done for you.

2020 North Point 387RDFS
modern farmhouse
2018 GMC Denali HD CC SRW Duramax L5P
Curt A20
Airlift 5000
Michelin Defender LTX M/S
Zs387RDFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:10 PM   #14

Manuel override will not give more power to the slide. Older units had an adjustment on the control box that regulated amp draw. If to low the motors would stall. My 2016 had that control unit. The later ones do not and the amp draw is what stalls the motor and is a fixed value. I dropped mine down to low and when fridge was loaded up that side would stall. Had to re adjust.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Manuel override will not give more power to the slide....

Actually it will. I did this with my kitchen slide recently (2020 North Point) and it operated with much more 'oomph' than it does normally. Easy to try.

2020 North Point 387RDFS
modern farmhouse
Curt A20
Airlift 5000
Old 10-28-2020, 07:40 AM   #16

Your kitchen slide is not a Schwintec it is a slimrack. All it does is remove the stall force from mine which is amp draw. So I guess that is the more power u r talking about. It is limited on mine so the much over loaded schwintec does not rip itself apart. Newer schwintec boxes do not have a stall force adjustment. The override removes that on newer ones. Unless it hangs up I would not keep using override. You might be putting a hugh strain when it stops fully open or closed.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Your kitchen slide is not a Schwintec it is a slimrack...

Incorrect. I know my North Point better than you think.

2020 North Point 387RDFS
modern farmhouse
Curt A20
Airlift 5000
Old 10-28-2020, 09:17 AM   #18

Well my mistake. The factory service center told me 2018 they changed large kitchen slides to slim rack.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:35 PM   #19

As I recall, Jayco warranties are not transferable. I think you are on your own with this. Slides must be serviced at least annually. There are special products for lubricating the mechanism and protecting the seals. You can look for more information on youtube. If this isn't done, you will eventually have problems.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:32 PM   #20

We just picked up our 2019 Pinnicle 36SSWS from the shop. The kitchen slide needed to have both motors and slide racks replaced. 2 and a half months in the shop. Jayco paid for it. The service teck said to get a can of silicone and spray the racks every now and then and it will help. 3 and 1 has a product for RV use. Found it on Amazon. 3-IN-ONE RV Care Rubber Seal Conditioner with UV Shield, Silver (120084)

Larry Wagner
Stewartstown PA
2019 Jayco Pinnacle 36SSWS (Louise)
2019 Chevelet Silverado 3500 Dully Duramax Engine (Allison Transmission) (Thelma)
pawags45 is offline   Reply With Quote