Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #1

Best RV tv

Hello, Looking to put a second TV in the bunkroom for the grandkids. Is there a certain brand that is more resistant to the tail end bounce rattle and roll of the road. Or do I just put a lot of bubble wrap around it and hope for the best.
Pickup jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:48 PM   #2

Flat screens in the size I suspect you would be putting in the bunk room are a dime a dozen these days. Get one you're familiar with and you'll be fine. If it dies out of warrantee buy another.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Flat screens in the size I suspect you would be putting in the bunk room are a dime a dozen these days. Get one you're familiar with and you'll be fine. If it dies out of warrantee buy another.
X2

We had a Samsung TV in the back of our WH and never had any issues with it.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:37 AM   #4

Pretty subjective topic and nowadays it's hard to go wrong with any of the major brands. We just happen to be Samsung folks for tv's in our home and TT. I can't say that they're better for this reason or that reason...they just work well for us and we are familiar with their features and remote layouts.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:51 AM   #5

Don't have a specific brand recommendation, but an LED is the way to go. They're thin, light weight, durable, and inexpensive. I might suggest getting one with a built-in DVD player, since you won't (easily) be able to hook up the BH TV to the radio/DVD player in your main entertainment center. That way, the youngsters can watch a video if you're camping in an area with little/no over-the-air service (or you're watching the game on cable/satellite on the main TV).

Happy Camping!
Old 03-26-2016, 07:00 AM   #6

If possible I would match to the same brand you have out front or at home as the set up on the remote will be the same or similar. Still have a Sanyo in the bedroom but new main tv and at home are LG. 20" Sanyo was $130 at WMart a couple years ago. Just replaced the main tv out front with a 43" LG 1080p for $375 reimbursed by Jayco when the oem died under warrantee. Now that the giant curved tvs are out [$4 grand] the ones the rest of us buy are 1/4 the price they were just 5 years ago.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:04 AM   #7

I was at the Jayco factory a couple of weeks ago and they told me they switched to Furrion because they had too many problems with the models they installed previously.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:14 AM   #8

We changed out our old TVs with VIZIO TVs when the digtal change over came about. WE just keep using VIZIO here everywhere and then we don't have to worry about which remote we are using...

We use a 120VAC 22-inch VIZIO in our off-road POPUP and it has had many off-road miles over the past few years... I run a low wattage Sine Wave POWER INVERTER to run all of our electronics when camping off grid. The 22-inch TV is stowed in the hallway of the POPUP and has many other boxes and things stuffed in all around it when in travel mode... Still works like a champ...

Around the holidays you can get some serious deals at WALMART selling these popular TVs...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #9

Whatever Walmart has on sale.
I kind of say that in jest, but if you're buying a tv just for your camper then figure it's not going to be used near as much as one in your house. So I'd go with whatever is cheap.
That's our situation anyway. We try to camp 8 - 10 times per year, the tv gets used every 2nd or 3rd time out and then only for a few hours. That's about 10 - 15 hours per year. Less than a regular weekend at home. I'd say even a cheap one should last a fe years. But as I said, that's our situation, others will be different

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:27 AM   #10

Name brands only, Samsung, Sony best, others good also, Visio, LG, Panasonic, Sharp. Avoid just about anything you see installed in RVs, these see to be really the bottom end of the LED food chain...
We have a 32" Panasonic 1080p LED in our TT and love it, now going on 4 years old. We do not leave it in place when traveling, it gets the top bunk for storage/travel. Also tend to leave it there unless weather bad, preferring being outside most time which includes cooking....

Larry J
2015 SLX 264BHW
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:57 AM   #11

Every brand is going to have a unit that fails eventually. Agree to just go with whatever brand you feel has been best to you over the years and I would stay away from some of the real off brands.

A key to keeping any of these TV's going is to have an inline surge protector. If you do not have an EMS on your unit then you will most likely suffer a failed unit due to the inconsistent supply of electric in CG's. Low voltage is just as bad if not worse on sensitive electronics and our units are loaded with them.

My LED's are all wall mounted and have survived thus far, but I think the protection from supply plays a huge roll.

I've had my EMS go off several times and the most is for low voltage.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:18 AM   #12
Site Team

Aother caution is when powered by a generator, make sure it is a sine wave inverted model.
The old type can cause damage to sensitive electronics.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #13

Cheap is the way to go. Visio is nice/cheap. If it's a voltage thing that is burning/killing all these tv's, has anyone tried to use a new power supply? My fathers house was hit by lightening, killed the tv, two garage door openers, the furnace and some other things. I bought a new power supply for the tv on eBay and it still works to this day...
Levinehikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #14

I would stick with either the 2 Koreans, LG and Samsung in the smaller sizes because I believe that they still make their small sets unlike most other manufacturers that have a bunch of Chinese crap in them. Larger sets you can add Sony, and Philips to the list. Unfortunately some good TV manufacturers have gone by the wayside like Toshiba, Panasonic, Sharp exiting the US, and Hitachi hasn't been Hitachi in many years. Been in this business almost 30yrs and my repair days have sure changed the last few years. Not worth fixing anything under 40" these days and if not a minor problem, not even up to 50". Vizio is a brand that has exploded on the scene the last 8 or so years, but because of their warranties and product support (parts availability), I would steer clear. Someone said earlier to steer away from the common brands used in RV's, that is very good advice. A lot of those brands are only found in the RV industry, more Chinese junk. The only commonly used TV's in RV's that I have ever taken apart that have things in them that regular brands don't are the Jensens. I don't think that they are very good TV's, still a lot of Chinese crap in them, but they seem to beef up mounting support internally. Also I would consider what brand has good support after the sale in the market that you are in the majority of the time. As far as electronics and surge protection, the best device to put sensitive electronics on is an Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS). A UPS provides great surge protection, usually line conditioning, and battery backup in case of power loss. For anyone using generators, a UPS is a very wise investment.
gaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:50 PM   #15

First upgrade was to ditch the Jensen. Same sized Samsung Smart TV was $200.00 at Best Buy. Can watch movies, stream videos and a bunch of other things. TV speakers sound better that the interior speakers.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:51 PM   #16

Think about getting an extended warranty, could save ya some money down the road.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote