Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kckohlhaas View Post
decent price on the solar kit, just saw this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401738725223
And that one is only 5 bar - about 72 psi

That will be exceeded on a hot day with load range “D” tires that are inflated to 65 PSI cold.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #22

I have a TST System: TST-507. I have same set up as you, TV has its own system. We just had a flat and alarm notified us so we could change tire before any damage. I used to keep mounted on dash but now just store next to dash as all I care about is the alarm sounding (while driving).
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJay View Post
Note: the description calls specifically for use in AUTO applications, with a max pressure of 6 bar (87PSI), so not a good choice for “E” rated tires which will go well above 87 PSI when hot (if inflated to 80 cold).
The sensor doesn't "know" what kind of tire it is installed on (at least I don't think so). Your are correct in citing the pressure limits and this system might not make sense for a load range "E" trailer tire inflated to maximum pressures.
My Maxxis M8008's are "E" rated at 80psi (BTW, the same solar powered TPMS is also offered in higher pressure ratings). Because the M8008's are "D" rated at 65psi, (2540 lbs per tire) which exceeds my gross trailer weight and axle rating, 65-70psi is sufficient for my trailer and well within the sensor pressure limits.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #24

It may be working fine for you, but when the seller specifies a maximum operating pressure for the sensors, I would believe them.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:58 PM   #25

Thanks for this thread.

Anyone here add trailer sensors for a Ford system? I get the benefits and value of a TPMS system for the trailer and I like the TechnoRV people and the TST system they sell, but I already have the front end of a TPMS in my truck monitoring truck tires....

I'll ask my Ford dealer for sure but I am wondering if anyone here had the up or down on it. Thanks as always

-Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #26

I have the Tire Minder system on the pick-up and the 5er. I have two repeaters/boosters, one on the front landing gear leg, the other on the fifth wheel hitch. I have twelve sensors, six on the GMC pickup (dually) plus the spare, and four on the 5er plus the spare. I have them on both of the spare tires because those are just as painful to check as the "real" tires. Tire Minder successfully advised us of a low pressure tire on the trailer (60 psi and dropping vs the 80 psi standard) as we were just about to cross the Alaska border northbound last spring. The Tire Minder system did right by us in preventing a serious situation, i.e., low pressure vs flat or shredded tire. I would definitely buy this system again.

Hog3loves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:43 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
Thanks for this thread.

Anyone here add trailer sensors for a Ford system? I get the benefits and value of a TPMS system for the trailer and I like the TechnoRV people and the TST system they sell, but I already have the front end of a TPMS in my truck monitoring truck tires....

I'll ask my Ford dealer for sure but I am wondering if anyone here had the up or down on it. Thanks as always

-Angus
I have read that they are coming out with the ability to add on separate sensors but I do not know of any mfg's that have the ability to monitor trailers yet. I hope I am wrong.

best bet would be a separate 4 sensor system to have peace of mind. After using one TST for years, I don't feel comfortable without it. Mine has saved me countless $$$$ over what I paid for it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #28

Thanks for the responses. Not any closer on a TPMS decision. So let me ask this about 12 volt splitters or cigarette lighter splitters. I have a dashcam, a backup camera, and soon to have a TPMS monitor. Are these splitters that can handle two or three plug ins gonna cause a problem with the truck or it can handle it? Never thought I would need three plug ins.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:36 PM   #29

Are you splitting 12 volts or USB? If 12V, depends on combined amperage draw of connected devices, If USB not a problem.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:59 PM   #30

I got the DILL TPMS - "Used & Endorsed by Bass Fishing Legends Roland Martin & Jimmy Houston!!" Ha.

They replaced the valve stems with metal and sensors are inside the rim. Discount Tire for $300 installed. Really not sure of the performance yet, because Im not going on a camping trip until 2 weeks. They worked good on the way back to storage.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrnigan View Post
Are you splitting 12 volts or USB? If 12V, depends on combined amperage draw of connected devices, If USB not a problem.
I'm talking about plugging in two or three devices into one cigarette lighter plug. Devices will be TPMS monitor, backup camera monitor, and a dashcam. I understand the concern of amperage draw. Just wondering if anyone had problems with it tripping anything if they had to do this.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:31 AM   #32

We have a new Ford truck, and our 5th wheel will be built next week. I'm pretty sure I want to get the Ford TPMS kit for the trailer, because it's integrated in the dash. Not sure about the camera that can be bundled with it, though. It only works in reverse, not observation, and has a crazy hard-wired system that is difficult to hide.
If I knew of an aftermarket TPMS and camera that would display on my Ford system, I would probably go for that.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #33
Site Team

Usually the cig lighter has a huge fuse and the aux chargers , same type outlet has a lower amp draw capacity and smaller fuses/ wire.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Thanks for the responses. Not any closer on a TPMS decision. So let me ask this about 12 volt splitters or cigarette lighter splitters. I have a dashcam, a backup camera, and soon to have a TPMS monitor. Are these splitters that can handle two or three plug ins gonna cause a problem with the truck or it can handle it? Never thought I would need three plug ins.
My Tire Minder monitor is rechargeable, no plug required until the charge gets low. That way your lighter doesn't have to support that device will driving. Charge it up and then unplug and go. The charge on my monitor will last for a couple of days easy.

Hog3loves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #35

I think I've decided on the TST-507. Its' monitor can be charged for about seven days (so it says) and can be charged by cigarette lighter or USB which I like.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #36

This works for me.

I bought a TST model 507 SG about 3-4 years ago. It came through Amazon with 4 flow through sensors and the monitor for $167. I'm shocked that the price has nearly doubled. That said, it has worked perfectly for me traveling for 3-4 months every summer since we bought it.
fitzrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
We have a new Ford truck, and our 5th wheel will be built next week. I'm pretty sure I want to get the Ford TPMS kit for the trailer, because it's integrated in the dash. Not sure about the camera that can be bundled with it, though. It only works in reverse, not observation, and has a crazy hard-wired system that is difficult to hide.
If I knew of an aftermarket TPMS and camera that would display on my Ford system, I would probably go for that.
I have the same question, new 2019 ford F250 and looking for a system that is compatible with the ford towing system I have already that came with the truck, anyone know what will work with that system ?
jvieira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
We have the Tire Trakker and can’t compare it with the others but there has to be something better - we always have at least 1 sensor that doesn’t communicate with the display ( sometimes as many as 4 ) never the same sensors but they will start working after 50-100 miles ( frustrating ) yes we have the booster but don’t see any improvement
Very good customer service but I can’t recommend them Les
Had one of these systems too and had many problems. Had two blowouts with the sensors on and they never made a peep, even with no air in tires. Lifetime warranty but still junk. Now have EEZ TPMS and can't comment cause I just got it.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:13 PM   #39

Thats good to know..... thanks for the info.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #40

Well I bailed on the TST-507s. Camping World is out of stock until May 3rd and I need them before then. Of course they waited to tell me the projected date until after I ordered them. So what's the deal with the flow-through sensors? As big as they are, wouldn't they cause the tire to become unbalanced or do they work fine? I would think flow through is better cuz you can check the air and add the air without taking them off?