Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #1

BHDS 29.5 outdoor speakers

We just recently took delivery on our jayco. We love it. My one complaint is the outdoor speaker placement. We are usually in the back of the trailer by the outdoor cooking area. We cannot hear the speakers back there. I have looked all over for a model or anything on who makes the speakers and no luck. Does anyone know where I can Find another pair of them so I can mount two more towards the rear? Thank you
DavidsIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:15 PM   #2

What about a set of marine speakers? I bought a set for a boat a few years back and there still working last time I was out on it. They come in different sizes. Figure what size you want and maybe try a search online.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadester View Post
What about a set of marine speakers? I bought a set for a boat a few years back and there still working last time I was out on it. They come in different sizes. Figure what size you want and maybe try a search online.
I had thought about that. I had just wanted them to match. I'll search a little more if not I'll just buy some black marine speakers.
DavidsIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsIV View Post
We just recently took delivery on our jayco. We love it. snip...
Congratulations and welcome to the JOF.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:20 AM   #5

Why not just go to your dealer and order replacements? They would have to sell them in case they got damaged. Should be pretty easy.
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #6

David, I've looked into replacing the speakers myself and found a few items to consider:
1. The existing (crappy) speakers are fully contained unit, attached by four screws to the bottom skirt panel.

2. You can replace them with any Marine speakers, but you will need to consider how to mount them. One way is to cut holes in the skirt big enough to mount a good size set of speakers (5.25"?) But, doing this will expose the rear of the speakers to rain, mud, dirt, etc. Having said that, one could also purchase covers for the speaker's backsides

3. Another option is to mount the speakers into some kind of pods, then mount the pods to the skirt. The only downside I see, is that the speakers will stick out from the skirt a bit more. Below are some links I've found good for comparison purpose:

Angled Speaker Pods Speaker Adapters 6 5" 6 1 2" or 5 25" Speaker Mount w Flange | eBay

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017ADILL4/...I1O7M0XTWB98S3

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FKP7MQ/...I1Y4MSJGLQ6C2B

Amazon.com: Pyle PLMR51B Dual 5.25'' Waterproof Marine Speakers, 2-Way Full Range Stereo Sound, 100 Watt, Black (Pair): Car Electronics

I'm leaning toward the Pod solution, rather than cutting holes in the skirt panel. But, it's a bit pricier, as you have to buy the pods too.

Good luck and let me know what you decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsIV View Post
We just recently took delivery on our jayco. We love it. My one complaint is the outdoor speaker placement. We are usually in the back of the trailer by the outdoor cooking area. We cannot hear the speakers back there. I have looked all over for a model or anything on who makes the speakers and no luck. Does anyone know where I can Find another pair of them so I can mount two more towards the rear? Thank you
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #7

I think all of the speakers are horrible. In and out. Tinny and they crackle at any bass tone. I am going to invest in a small BT speaker and use that. I replaced the exterior speakers in my old Outback, and had to drill into the body because the magnets were about an 1/8" deeper. I also agree the placement is horrible near the door. They should put speakers at the rear kitchen

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:35 PM   #8

Very disappointed with the exterior speakers on mine. I wonder if their is a jack behind the radio I could tap off for some computer speakers by the fridge or in outdoor kitchen.
FoxRed is offline   Reply With Quote