Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2022, 06:32 PM   #1

Bicycle and Kayak Carrier Fabrication

I am going to fabricate a 2 bike and 2 kayak carrier for my fifth wheel. I have a 2021 Pinnacle 32RLTS.

I will replace the current receiver hitch with a heavier duty 2 receiver mount. I will fabricate this myself. This will give me a stable base for the carrier.

Looking for ideas/pictures of carriers that work well.
RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:26 PM   #2

I went to Sportsmans Guide website and found a 6' x 18" basket carrier for about $40. It plugs into the 2x2 hitch. I would start there and modify it. It works for my 2 ebikes with room for an ice chest. And it is cheap
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
I went to Sportsmans Guide website and found a 6' x 18" basket carrier for about $40. It plugs into the 2x2 hitch.

Do you have a link for this? 6' x 18" right? Couldn't find it on Sportsmans Guide site. So I called them, neither could they. A link would be appreciated.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTC View Post
I am going to fabricate a 2 bike and 2 kayak carrier for my fifth wheel. I have a 2021 Pinnacle 32RLTS.

I will replace the current receiver hitch with a heavier duty 2 receiver mount. I will fabricate this myself. This will give me a stable base for the carrier.

I built this out Harpor Freight off the shelf stuff and Kyak nose holder out of 3/4" PVC pipe to hold the the kayaks down. If I don't carry other items shown in the picture, i can get 3 bikes and the kayaks loaded very easily. I'm on my 3rd year using this setup and never had any issues.
Attached Thumbnails
kyaks.jpg  
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:40 PM   #5

Kirkelli, can you take a picture from the other direction. Would like to see how the kayaks are held up right.

I have started fabricating the carrier. It will take a month or so. I enjoy making stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0961.jpg   IMG_0962.jpg  
Old 01-11-2022, 04:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
Do you have a link for this? 6' x 18" right? Couldn't find it on Sportsmans Guide site. So I called them, neither could they. A link would be appreciated.
Sorry. I bought mine a couple of years ago. I guess it was such a good deal they didn't last long.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Kirkelli, can you take a picture from the other direction. Would like to see how the kayaks are held up right.

I have started fabricating the carrier. It will take a month or so. I enjoy making stuff.
Mine is pretty simple, put it together in less then a day because we were heading out and i didn't to leave Kyaks behind. I initially thought i would rebuild it when i had time but it is working out so well, i decided to leave it alone. I did weld on a second receiver to the frame and i just slide it in after mounted which gives more support.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1995.jpg   IMG_1996.jpg   IMG_1997.jpg  
Old 01-13-2022, 07:45 AM   #8

Very interested in seeing your end product.. You might consider putting a hinge system on the Kayak portion as it is very difficult to lift them over the nose guard due to the height of the mounting. Mine is hinged on the portion that holds the Kayak tie down strap. When mounted i simply unlatch the holding pin and place a bucket under the carrier gate, swivel down and slide the Kayaks out. Very simple. If you plan to use a hitch mount you will find adding another receiver and sliding a reinforcement bar under the bulk of loaded weight adds a great amount of stability. I like your approach and excited to see what you end up with..
Old 01-15-2022, 08:56 AM   #9

Kirkelli, very creative in the way you pivot the kayaks for loading. And, I appreciate the advice on a 2nd receiver.

I will plan on a very shallow bottom mount for the kayak. With a side opening on the top mount. This should allow me to set the bottom and pivot the kayak up.

I will replace the single receiver mount with a triple receiver mount. Two receivers evenly spaced for the kayak rack and a 3rd center for other usage.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Kirkelli, very creative in the way you pivot the kayaks for loading. And, I appreciate the advice on a 2nd receiver.

I will plan on a very shallow bottom mount for the kayak. With a side opening on the top mount. This should allow me to set the bottom and pivot the kayak up.

I will replace the single receiver mount with a triple receiver mount. Two receivers evenly spaced for the kayak rack and a 3rd center for other usage.
I think your plan to use a triple receiver mount is a good idea. Defiantly will add all the stability you need and also allow you to carry more weight. You might want to come up with a system where you slide the two outside support bars into the receiver then wing nut them in. I learned by trial and error, if you preeminently mount the support bar then try to line them all up as you insert into the receivers, it's not so easy. Looking forward to you end product.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:02 PM   #11

Made progress this weekend. Mainly fabricating the two receiver mount.

Need to figure out what to fabricate for the rear bicycle wheel support.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0983.jpg  
Old 01-16-2022, 08:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Made progress this weekend. Mainly fabricating the two receiver mount.

Need to figure out what to fabricate for the rear bicycle wheel support.
It's coming along, looking good. I think you are going to come up with a winner.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
Quote:

I suspect Sportsman’s Guide may be reorganizing their product offerings as they were recently sold (My son works for their former parent company Northern Tool.). Also have a 2021 Pinnacle 32RLTS which I may have bought from the same dealer as my fellow Yooper. I learned that Pinnacles do not come with a trailer wiring harness as Eagle models do as Jayco discourages towing trailers behind the heavier and wider Pinnacles. I located the wiring hub behind the license plate to tap into with a pigtail harness for a bike carrier. Just bought a couple of e-bikes and a Hollywood rack which will obscure the taillights and license plate when the bikes are mounted. Will be wiring in additional rack mounted tail lights and illuminated license plate bracket. You may wish to consider doing the same with your fabricated rack. Good luck.
Yooper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:28 PM   #14

Put two square tubes 3 inches apart (the with of your tire , and see how far down you want it to go and out a cross Rubin as stopper, im assuming that rack will be standing up, I love manufacturing stuff too
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:45 PM   #15

I would not be comfortable with all that extra weight way out beyond the rear wheels. Kayaks not too bad but add 2 E-bikes as well and you've got a good deal of weight ready to swing your trailer.
P.Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:32 PM   #16

Slightly off topic but where did you buy the 2x2 stock?
jlawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:42 PM   #17

I find Ebay is a pretty good supplier for metal stock and most sellers now ship free..
Old 01-19-2022, 04:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
I built this out Harpor Freight off the shelf stuff and Kyak nose holder out of 3/4" PVC pipe to hold the the kayaks down. If I don't carry other items shown in the picture, i can get 3 bikes and the kayaks loaded very easily. I'm on my 3rd year using this setup and never had any issues.
I would love to see how you get 3 bikes on that set-up with the kayaks sometime.
Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
BLTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTravels View Post
I would love to see how you get 3 bikes on that set-up with the kayaks sometime.
with a 2x4 with J hooks lagged in and tie strapped to about the middle height of the kayaks. Tie wrap the top wheels to the J Hooks and bottom wheels to a 2' wide board attached to the carrier top the run a tie down through the bottom wheels. I actually only did it one time. Wasn't pretty but it worked great. My camping buddy now carries the bikes on his rig, otherwise i would have improved the bike carrier part of the rack to carry two bikes.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:27 PM   #20

Yes, I am tracking the weight closely. The kayaks weigh 60 lbs each. The bikes are 34 lbs each. That brings me to a cargo total of 188 lbs.

My goal is to keep the total rack and cargo below 300 lbs. That is Jayco's max weight for the hitch system.

I purchase steel from a local steel supplier. Located in River Falls Wisconsin. They are a small local shop with great prices. Cost about $1/lb for plate stock and $2/lb for tube stock. About 1/3 the price of the local big box store.