Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2021, 03:27 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 1up Super Duty 2 bike carrier. Trailer approved for two bikes. It’s three of us, but usually just two bikes, or my son’s 24” could go on the bed inside. This one could handle the lighter e-bikes should we ever go that way. Thanks to the OP for starting this topic. I’ll be sending you a bill. Hopefully I fly a few extra hours this week.
You are welcome, wish I could fly a few extra hours next week. I am sure you will keep us updated on options you might have purchased with it, as well as assembly tips and such. The two bike carrier is the one we need as well. Happy New Year
Old 12-30-2021, 05:09 AM   #42

If you remove the battery from the bike before loading the weight drops significantly. Most E-bike manufacturers recommend removing the batteries before transport.
32Pinnical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:12 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
You are welcome, wish I could fly a few extra hours next week. I am sure you will keep us updated on options you might have purchased with it, as well as assembly tips and such. The two bike carrier is the one we need as well. Happy New Year

Will do. It appears to come assembled which I really like. The only catch I can see with this one, and they all have a compromise, is locking the bikes to the rack. I’ll have to get crafty with my cable locks. I’ll let you know how it works.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:39 AM   #44

Quote:
Will do. It appears to come assembled which I really like. The only catch I can see with this one, and they all have a compromise, is locking the bikes to the rack. I’ll have to get crafty with my cable locks. I’ll let you know how it works.
Thanks, I ordered two fancy and expensive locks along with the bikes from their web site, called ABUS Bordo Granit X-Plus 6500. They are heavy as well as expensive, lol. Looking forward to your report. I should be ordering soon as well, not in a big rush since we have nothing planned over the next couple of months.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:21 PM   #45

Quote:
Santa is bringing us two electric bicycles. They are the Rad Rover 6+ and heavy!! As in 71-72 pounds each. I am researching racks/carriers to use with our Pinnacle. It needs to be adjustable enough so I can lower it to or near the ground to load the bikes. One I have found that seems to be top notch, and made in the USA is "1 up". Very nice and expensive, but most I have seen so far that can handle the weight are all expensive. I welcome all suggestions you all might have, we are not in a big rush just yet, but would like to have it by spring if at all possible. Thanks
Rene
I bought this carrier from amazon and I use it for my heavy E bike fat tire, can store a cooler too. Don't think it would fit two fat tire E bikes though.
MAXXHAUAL 80779, HITCH MOUNT CARGO CARRIER, $293
arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:35 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanwride View Post
Has anyone used an extension hitch on the back of a motor home that has a receiver for both the toe car and a bike rack?

Check out Roadmaster dual hitch receiver. They have 2-3 in different sizes.
rjvdevelopment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:48 PM   #47

Bicycle carrier?

This is the rack we use on the back of our Honda CR-V, GMC Canyon and our new Jayco Greyhawk for our two e-bikes, Espin Flow and Ride1Up 700 ST. Easy to load and folds down for access to the hatchback on the Honda.

Based on our experience I’d buy the non folding model to reduce the amount of links. This one tightens down on the hitch so there is no rattle or movement.

We remove batteries and anything attached to the rear rack before loading. We have a small duffel bag we keep everything in so the batteries don’t get damaged.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2092.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	77951
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 02:47 PM   #48

Bicycle carrier?

Got my OneUp in the mail yesterday. Left my Covid exile briefly to check it out in the garage on my truck. It’s a very nice rack. Quite stout. Comes fully assembled. Only have one or two issues with it.

First, I should’ve looked at the photos closer. I’ve got a 2.5” hitch on my truck that I use with a sleeve for 2” stuff. This rack doesn’t work well with a sleeve. You have to use their little hitch pin which allows the sleeve to have a lot of play for and aft. Had go back on their site and order a 2.5” adapter. Also, the lock wouldn’t work due to being too small for the larger hitch…till I called and found out you can remove a rubber spacer to fit the larger hitch. Fortunately, it’ll fit the trailer perfectly.

Second issue may not be an issue. My bike has 29” tires. Says it’ll fit a 29er but the securing bars are about the 1-2 o’clock position on the front tires and 10-11 back. Seems secure as I pulled and pushed on the bike pretty hard. However, with the arms further out my handle bars can move a little. So, the bike isn’t rock solid stationary. Maybe that’s ok. Once I get the adapter I’ll drive around with it and see how it does. Probably be ok.

Overall though it’s a very nice hitch. I like that it folds up small for storage and folds up on the hitch when empty as well. Bikes are very easy to mount.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
Old 01-07-2022, 03:21 PM   #49

Quote:
Got my OneUp in the mail yesterday. Left my Covid exile briefly to check it out in the garage on my truck. It’s a very nice rack. Quite stout. Comes fully assembled. Only have one or two issues with it.

First, I should’ve looked at the photos closer. I’ve got a 2.5” hitch on my truck that I use with a sleeve for 2” stuff. This rack doesn’t work well with a sleeve. You have to use their little hitch pin which allows the sleeve to have a lot of play for and aft. Had go back on their site and order a 2.5” adapter. Also, the lock wouldn’t work due to being too small for the larger hitch…till I called and found out you can remove a rubber spacer to fit the larger hitch. Fortunately, it’ll fit the trailer perfectly.

Second issue may not be an issue. My bike has 29” tires. Says it’ll fit a 29er but the securing bars are about the 1-2 o’clock position on the front tires and 10-11 back. Seems secure as I pulled and pushed on the bike pretty hard. However, with the arms further out my handle bars can move a little. So, the bike isn’t rock solid stationary. Maybe that’s ok. Once I get the adapter I’ll drive around with it and see how it does. Probably be ok.

Overall though it’s a very nice hitch. I like that it folds up small for storage and folds up on the hitch when empty as well. Bikes are very easy to mount.
Great news, wow, that was fast shipping. It is good to know about the 2.5' adapter. Our 5th wheel has a 2' but my Ram 3500 has the larger receiver as well, so I may need the adapter also. I am assuming the sleeve you speak off is the one that comes with the truck? Of course, I know you will post some awesome pictures for us, lol. Thanks for posting
Rene
Old 01-07-2022, 05:34 PM   #50

Used the Hollywood carrier for my two Rad bikes down to the Keys and back from Atlanta. No concerns whatsoever. I do recommend that you get a cover for the bikes, and you can always use when parked at the campsite as well. Actually took three Rad bikes with us; my daugher’s was in the RV strapped to the sofa with the seat belts!
Old 01-07-2022, 09:13 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
This is the rack we use on the back of our Honda CR-V, GMC Canyon and our new Jayco Greyhawk for our two e-bikes, Espin Flow and Ride1Up 700 ST. Easy to load and folds down for access to the hatchback on the Honda.

Based on our experience I’d buy the non folding model to reduce the amount of links. This one tightens down on the hitch so there is no rattle or movement.

We remove batteries and anything attached to the rear rack before loading. We have a small duffel bag we keep everything in so the batteries don’t get damaged.Attachment 77951
I was looking at this Thule T2 bike rack, but the seller told me I could not mount my bikes has they both have full fender and could not attach the bike holder over the wheel. This bike rack seemed to be well made, but the mount stop me from buying.
Malyhupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 11:21 PM   #52
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
Thanks, I ordered two fancy and expensive locks along with the bikes from their web site, called ABUS Bordo Granit X-Plus 6500. They are heavy as well as expensive.
That lock is as good as you can get. Great choice. It's extremely pick-resistant, almost to the point of being pick proof. Anyone trying to defeat it will either make too much noise, or give up from frustration.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:18 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
Used the Hollywood carrier for my two Rad bikes down to the Keys and back from Atlanta. No concerns whatsoever. I do recommend that you get a cover for the bikes, and you can always use when parked at the campsite as well. Actually took three Rad bikes with us; my daugher’s was in the RV strapped to the sofa with the seat belts!
Word of mouth is the best advertisement for a product, so this is good to know, however, they are hard to find as they seem to be out of stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
snip...

That lock is as good as you can get. Great choice. It's extremely pick-resistant, almost to the point of being pick proof. Anyone trying to defeat it will either make too much noise, or give up from frustration.
Thanks. Glad to hear this, as it is heavy!!! It took me a few minutes to figure it out. Instructions with it were very sparse. And, did I mention expensive??
Old 01-08-2022, 07:01 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyhupe View Post
I was looking at this Thule T2 bike rack, but the seller told me I could not mount my bikes has they both have full fender and could not attach the bike holder over the wheel. This bike rack seemed to be well made, but the mount stop me from buying.

I forgot about that issue. I trimmed back our front fenders to the forks to allow the holder to fit properly. I was able to cut one with tin snips and remove and reinstall the rubber front edge. The other was cast aluminum that I cut with my die grinder. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2022-01-08-08:00:08-153.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	78158
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2022-01-08-08:00:26-241.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	78159
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:37 PM   #55

Thanks for the info about cutting the front fender. I wish this topic would have come earlier as the Thule T2 really looked well made, twice the price of what we paid, but I like the way the tire sits, over the strong bar instead of beside in a bracket. Will keep a close eye on mine on our first trip.
Malyhupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:55 AM   #56

We just ordered the Hollywood HR 1700 from etrailer.com and I’m happy with our decision. The Thule was on my list, but I wasn’t sure about its compatibility with RV. I have since found a detailed article from Etrailer.com which says that the Thule is indeed rated for the back of an RV, but it’s not rated for the back of a vehicle being towed by the RV. It’s a nice rack in that it comes with a stowable ramp that makes it easy to get the bikes on. Since our bikes are 55 pounds each, I am hopeful I’ll be able to lift them OK onto the Hollywood rack. I also prefer buying domestic when I can, but it was hard to do in this case. Hope this helps a little.
Snachlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:42 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snachlas View Post
We just ordered the Hollywood HR 1700 from etrailer.com and I’m happy with our decision. The Thule was on my list, but I wasn’t sure about its compatibility with RV. I have since found a detailed article from Etrailer.com which says that the Thule is indeed rated for the back of an RV, but it’s not rated for the back of a vehicle being towed by the RV. It’s a nice rack in that it comes with a stowable ramp that makes it easy to get the bikes on. Since our bikes are 55 pounds each, I am hopeful I’ll be able to lift them OK onto the Hollywood rack. I also prefer buying domestic when I can, but it was hard to do in this case. Hope this helps a little.
Yes, that has been our concern as well, the weight and loading them. Ours weigh in at 71-72 pounds with the batteries. I am guessing removing them will save a good 10 pounds each. Please post pictures once you get it and installed.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:17 PM   #58

Jetlag, thanks for the reply. Once we get the rack in a couple of weeks or so, we will post pictures of our Redhawk 24B with the carrier and the ebikes attached. As I said, ours are only 55 pounds with the battery so they’re going to be a bit heavy to lift. You had a good point about taking out the battery first as they do weigh about 8 to 10 pounds I’m sure. I don’t know why I didn’t think about that but that may make all the difference for us. I know others on the forum have asked about the Thule EasyFold. Actually, I checked and those are rated for RVs. But they’re not rated for use on the back of a vehicle being towed by the RV.
Snachlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:28 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snachlas View Post
Jetlag, thanks for the reply. Once we get the rack in a couple of weeks or so, we will post pictures of our Redhawk 24B with the carrier and the ebikes attached. As I said, ours are only 55 pounds with the battery so they’re going to be a bit heavy to lift. You had a good point about taking out the battery first as they do weigh about 8 to 10 pounds I’m sure. I don’t know why I didn’t think about that but that may make all the difference for us. I know others on the forum have asked about the Thule EasyFold. Actually, I checked and those are rated for RVs. But they’re not rated for use on the back of a vehicle being towed by the RV.
Lol, someone else here reminded me to remove the batteries.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:29 PM   #60

Bicycle carrier?

Today I traveled home from Covid exile with the new rack and bike. Works great. Solid back there. Checked it after an hour and nothing had loosened or moved. Highly recommend it. It’s heavy at 50lbs but I think that’s a testament to its strength. I did have to sacrifice the end of a pool noodle to put on the handle bar so it wouldn’t potentially jab the back wall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1139.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	78255Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1135.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	78256
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW