Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2017, 10:04 AM   #1

Big John Dickson

The real deal..........

Just a little back ground info. Big John & I met a few months ago on this forum and began a friendship. Since we are both from Louisiana and both of us spent years working in the oil field in the Gulf of Mexico it was a natural connection. I got to meet him & his family this fathers day weekend at an RV park just a few minutes from my home. He told me I was the first forum member to see his rig in person an asked me to be honest on my opinions and criticism. Well folks that is something you have to see for yourself. All the many post and pictures you may have seen on his thread is the " Real Deal ". He gave me the grand tour outside and inside the RV. John has done some very detail work on this
RV. I took time to pick his brain about a lot of things and ended up learning a lot from my OCD friend, I say that with a lot of respect for this man.
The mods he has done are 1st class and done right, and better than factory. I think my favorite mod is the sky light with the fleur de lis mounted on the ceiling with LED lights. We have made plans for me traveling to his home to do some work on a variety of mods. Anyway, thanks for everything John and for putting up with this old Marine and his many questions.
lanedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #2

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #3

Big John Dickson

I think many of us are now jealous - Glad at least someone got to meet him. There was never a doubt that his work was top notch!!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #4

Thank you Lane for the review, and thank you Tom and Marcm157 for the comments. It was an absolute pleasure to finally meet a Jayco forum member in person, and even better form a friendship. I had hoped for a little criticism as I do take that and use it to do better, but, I'll take the above review and try to continue to improve on things regardless. I definitely accept the OCD comment as a compliment. I've been called that since elementary school.

I am definitely looking forward to working on / modifying Lane's rig whenever a trip to the shop can be arranged. Guess at that point we can start a Lane's modification thread.

I hope in time I can meet more of you. Tom, you're way to close to where we're at, so you can bet I will be paying you a visit at some point. We've got to compare notes and ideas.

Marcm, man I just wish you and a ton of others were closer to me, or me closer to yall. I love to talk shop and compare modifications.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:04 PM   #5

Big John;

I recently saw my Dr. and told him that my wife thinks I have OCD. He asked me to repeat myself and I again said that my wife thinks I have OCD and I agree with her. He told me that I am just fine for if I said that I had CDO then he would think I have an issue. He in a joking smirk said that you only have a problem when you have to get the letters in the correct order!

I consider myself and I may be so bold to label you as the same as only wanting the best out of our work and heroically well adjusted
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:24 PM   #6

Thank you Kahoneys. Sometimes it drives my wife crazy, but she's come to accept it, and the results. My need to be a perfectionist has driven me crazy and a lot of times gets me and the blood pressure worked up. Believe me, I have tried the "just let it go" or "don't give a crap" approach, but it's short lived. I may walk away and curse the wall in the shop, but I always come back and make it right. Growing up, it drove my parents crazy. Everything had a place, and everything had to be perfect and just right. I guess I was born with that quality. I am adopted, so Lord knows I'd love to see just what kind of people my biological parents were.

Just another piece of info most don't know, I started sketching RV floor plans at a very young age. I got my first drafting set when I was 11 or 12, and started putting things into proportion. Even then, I wasn't satisfied with the RV industry, or at least what I saw on the lots. My dad, although a motel guy, would take me to look and dream. I couldn't tell you how many Lego motorhomes and towables I made, long before Lego thought of making them. I still have a few of my drawings from my elementary years. I have grown up addicted to RV's, starting at around 5 years old. And I didn't get my first one until I was 27 I think. 41 now, and nothing has changed.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:14 AM   #7

Hey John

I want to thank you once again for the information you gave me when I was replacing the refrigerator in my daughter and son in laws travel trailer. You help definitely made it a lot easier for me as far as knowing what I was in for when replacing it with a residential refrigerator. They love the new refrigerator by the way.

Also other information I have gotten from you on other things. It's good to know before starting something that you haven't done before.

Hoping one day to meet you in person.

Thanks
Jack
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:26 AM   #8
M&A

John and anyone else in the neighborhood, stay safe and (relatively) dry today -
Although most of your talents are way out of my league, I sure enjoy reading about them.

Mike