Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2021, 08:21 PM   #1

Big Trip out west, any tips?

Doing a big trip this year. Fl to our camp in Keene NY. From there to Custer SP 3 days and than over to Henry’s Lake SP for 7. Henry’s lake is Half hour to west entrance Yellowstone. From there up to west glacia RV park for 6 days.
Planned routes using RV trip wizzard. RV trip wizzard has me coming back on I90
to Sioux Falls and than down to Kansas City, Nashville than down I65
Looking at a different way and going I-90
to I-25 around Denver and down to 64 over to I-40 to I-22 than I-65.
Any recommendations on which route has better roads or nicer drive?
Only reservations made so far are at Custer SP, Henry’s Lake SP and West Glacia. NY to Custer and Glacia back to Fl still working on route and where to stay. Trying to stay off toll roads. NY thruway alone is almost $70.

Tks
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:00 PM   #2

I'm not sure about the roads but I believe you second route would be a bit more scenic. With that said once you get to eastern New Mexico, Texas panhandle and western Oklahoma, well there's not much there to see but you would have the same across I-90 through Nebraska. The plains states hwve their own beauty but a bit hard to find. I say that without malice. Lived in Wichita, KS for 25 years. FYI - You will pass the Cadillac Ranch just west of Amarillo that everyone says is a must see. That's my 2 pennies.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Doing a big trip this year. Fl to our camp in Keene NY. From there to Custer SP 3 days and than over to Henry’s Lake SP for 7. Henry’s lake is Half hour to west entrance Yellowstone. From there up to west glacia RV park for 6 days.
Planned routes using RV trip wizzard. RV trip wizzard has me coming back on I90
to Sioux Falls and than down to Kansas City, Nashville than down I65
Looking at a different way and going I-90
to I-25 around Denver and down to 64 over to I-40 to I-22 than I-65.
Any recommendations on which route has better roads or nicer drive?
Only reservations made so far are at Custer SP, Henry’s Lake SP and West Glacia. NY to Custer and Glacia back to Fl still working on route and where to stay. Trying to stay off toll roads. NY thruway alone is almost $70.

Tks
Rock
You will love Custer State Park, we stayed there 5 nights in 2017 on our Western Trip using it as a base to see Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, City of Custer, Sylvan Lake, driving up the needles hwy. Custer is a huge and awesome state park.

Your route back is basically the route we took on our way west. We came from East Tennessee thru Nashville on I40 then hit I24 on through St. Louis, Kansas City, up thru Iowa then across South Dakota. In Mitchell S.D. is the one and only Corn Palace, Badlands N.P. right off I90, Wall Drugs, then Custer S.P. heading west. Might want to see Devil's Tower it's only 107 miles from Custer S.P. heading west into Wyoming, Sundance, WY. is a neat little town, stopped there for lunch on the way to the Tower. Glacier is a beautiful park I know you will love it. I was there in 2001 on a 6 day backpacking trip.

Happy Camping and God Bless!
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:45 PM   #4

Hello. I don't have too much experience on some of the highways you mentioned, but I do know that the 25 and 80 through Wyoming/Colorado can be very windy at times (40-60mph), so stay on top of weather forecasts. For good eats by Custer SP, try Burger and Bun Co. in Custer, or Lintz Bros pizza about 9 miles outside the park's east gate. In the park, take Iron Mountain Road for a scenic drive. It'll end at Rushmore. And Needles Highway is another must. Both have compact tunnels to drive in, so don't take your coach on them. Too much to see, and not enough time. Just don't pet the fluffy cows!! Happy Trails
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:00 PM   #5

Sounds like a great trip. Consider boondocking the rim of the Badlands a couple of nights on your way to Custer if you can add some trip time. The trip you have planned aounds similar to one I took last fall. Enjoy!
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:43 PM   #6

Guys thanks for the inputs. Taking notes on all the spots to see.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:45 PM   #7

If you can possibly squeeze in BANFF, it is about 6 hours north of West Glacier, well worth the trip. I-80 and 90 are great views for a road trip. Coming back, take a look at the route from Pueblo CO to Dodge City then to I-40 in OK. That is a great 2 lane road drive we did a few years ago.
Road Warrior 241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:29 PM   #8

Where and what is BANFF. Six hours north it must be in Canada or right on the border. Thanks for the route info.
I have also decided to skip visiting friends in Chicago and taking the longer route from Keene NY to Custer. Trip planner has me going down to Indianapolis since I selected no tolls.
Looking at Keene thru Chicago on toll roads is over $100. Screw that I will take the extra 3 hours to Custer (same mileage) not to give a penny to that.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:01 AM   #9

BANFF is the " Rocky Mountain National Park" of Canada, only way way bigger. If you can get a campsite at Lake Louise Campground, it is unbelievable. You can find tons of youtube videos about it.
Road Warrior 241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #10

It's been a number of years since Custer SP, but the Jeep tour at that time was well worth the money.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Where and what is BANFF. Six hours north it must be in Canada or right on the border. Thanks for the route info.
I have also decided to skip visiting friends in Chicago and taking the longer route from Keene NY to Custer. Trip planner has me going down to Indianapolis since I selected no tolls.
Looking at Keene thru Chicago on toll roads is over $100. Screw that I will take the extra 3 hours to Custer (same mileage) not to give a penny to that.
Rock,
If you are staying at Custer S.P. you need to get a reservation now. I highly recommend Game Lodge C.G. it is well located, paved, has electric, laundry and real close to the welcome center and the camp store.

We stayed in the Park Campground at Badlands N.P. also. It is next door to the welcome center.

Banff is a beautiful Canadian park and the drive between Banff N.P. and Jasper N.P. in Canada is breathtaking. Halfway between the the two parks are the Columbia Icefields. The snow coach ride onto the glacier is well worth the cost.

There is an awesome statue named "Dignity" depicting a Native American woman holding a star quilt located at the I-90 Chamberlain S.D. Rest Area, which is between exits 263 and 265 on I-90. There is also a really nice display/museum of the Lewis & Clark Expedition in the rest stop, and a great overlook of the Missouri River all free. At the next exit headed west just after you cross the Missouri River is a neat tourist place called Al's Oasis it is neat lunch stop where you can eat a Bison Burger and get a photo of greater than life size Bison.

We had a great time on our 8 week western trip and there is so much to see. Happy Camping and God Bless.
Attached Thumbnails
Dignity_Statue.jpg  
Old 02-22-2021, 06:33 PM   #12

TnHiker
I have my reservations at Custer North Stockade for three nights electric only than over to Henry’s Lake State park for 7 with full hook ups. Than West Glacia for six nights at the new west Glacia RV park. Will look at the Canada trip. Guess if I do that cannot bring my 12 guage shotgun or can u into Canada.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:03 PM   #13

Just checked and seems Canada is still closed. Guess I will wait a few months and if nothing changes I will make more US plans. I am hoping that the parks might be less packed this year as I heard they were last year.
Hopefully Diesel stays at a reasonable price. Next year I think it will be way up in price since we cannot drill and fracking will probably be banned. I do have my EFS card and that saved me about $200 last year traveling.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Just checked and seems Canada is still closed. Guess I will wait a few months and if nothing changes I will make more US plans. I am hoping that the parks might be less packed this year as I heard they were last year.
Hopefully Diesel stays at a reasonable price. Next year I think it will be way up in price since we cannot drill and fracking will probably be banned. I do have my EFS card and that saved me about $200 last year traveling.
KOA has reported that reservations are way up over last year and previous years, with some parks being fully booked during the season. I would get reservations early if your traveling between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Enjoy your trip, I would avoid I 80 at all costs it's windy on most of it in Wyoming. I 25 till just south of the Colorado border is also very windy at times. It is worth it to spend at least a day in Cheyenne, old forts, missle silos etc, very interesting

Enjoy your trip, keep your tank full, can be a long way between stations in the west.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:26 PM   #15

Tripping.

Quote:
I-25 around Denver and down to 64 over to I-40

Tks
Rock
I-25 is not bad even in New Mexico. STAY AWAY from Amarillo....US87-287-I40, the loop all torn up, not going to get construction fixed until maybe next year. I-40 from Amarillo East is good to OKC, then as the proverbial saying goes, tighten your jock straps and put more denture cream in. US287 excellent, with exception of through Amarillo, and the closer you get to DFW area. Better route if you want to see some farm country is at Pueblo head east. At Lamar go south on US385 to Boise City,Ok. Then east on US412 into Tulsa. Cimarron Turnpike from I-35 east except through Tulsa (take I-244 through Tulsa). Follow US412 past Harrison, Ark to US65 head south to Conway/I-40. Happy trails!
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:34 PM   #16

Quote:
TnHiker
I have my reservations at Custer North Stockade for three nights electric only than over to Henry’s Lake State park for 7 with full hook ups. Than West Glacia for six nights at the new west Glacia RV park. Will look at the Canada trip. Guess if I do that cannot bring my 12 guage shotgun or can u into Canada.
Rock,
When you are at Glacier N.P. if you are there 6 nights I'm guessing you are driving across to the east side on "Going to the Sun Road" it truly is spectacular. If you drive out the east side of the park just past the little town of Babb, MT. you can go north into Canada into Waterton Lakes N.P. and the city of Waterton. Be sure and check out the Prince of Wales Hotel, the view of Waterton Lake Fjord from the rear of the hotel is epic and you are also looking down on the city of Waterton. Keep driving north and you get to Banff.

Yes you are correct, you cannot take any firearm into Canada without filling out a truckload of paperwork in advance. If you just drive into Canada for the day you'll be able to leave a firearm in your camper. I drove into Waterton N.P. Canada in 2001 while backpacking Glacier, there again at Banff/Jasper N.P. backpacking in 2003 this time flew into Calgary, then took my camper in May of 2019 and didn't have any issues. With Covid it might be an issue unless they open the border by then. If you have proof of the vaccine that might make a difference. I am jealous of your trip. Have fun.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:22 PM   #17

The Thruway is a wallet sucker
Drop down at least to 86 west to Jamestown. Its a beautiful ride. The Thruway is fuggly.

Consider dropping down to I 40 at some point. It is nice through AZ ( OK Amarillo sucks but we got through quick three years ago) where we are now . We started in Maine a month ago. We drove I 10 in the famous TX ice storms with no issue save being stuck in traffic.
I 40 does have some bumpy spots between Flagstaff and Kingman.
Winds are inevitable on the Great Plains.

The Badlands are one of my fave spots.

We went down 81 to 40 then down through Atlanta to Apalachicola FL and then west 1-10 to Tuscon. No tolls. Up through Phoenix then the two lane 93 through AZ which is undivided and loaded with truck traffic.

Keeping the mileage down per day keeps the experience enjoyable.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote