Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2018, 06:47 AM   #1

Bike rack

Hey. We need to get a bike rack to carry 4 bikes on the back of our 5er(28.5bhok). Right now it is 2 mountain bikes and 2 bikes with training wheels. Can someone please let me know a good rack I could use and maybe post pics of how people transport bikes and bikes with training wheels. TIA.
whjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #2

First, you will have to either use a frame mounted hitch or reinforce the mountings of your bumper. The bumper isn't made to really support a bike rack or anything other than sewer pipe and maybe the spare tire. It is thin metal and flexes. There are support brackets you can order to help there and raise the load limit from 100 to 400 lbs.

We use this one. RV rated, holds 4 bikes and the arms fold down when not needed to carry bikes.

https://www.rei.com/product/854781/y...ike-hitch-rack

I believe it's on sale at a lower cost. Also check online for better pricing. Has built in cable/locking system, lock for hitch pin, can purchase support bars for bikes that are hard to mount, etc.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #3

I suggest a 4 bike Swagman or Yakima RV rated bike rack. No need to reinforce the bumper or hitch as long as you stay under 300 lb TW. It is rated for 300 lbs TW and 3000 lbs of towing capability on that unit. We currently use a Yakima RV rated rack.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #4

We bought the Yakima LongHaul last year and it worked great. It comes with its own lock to the hitch as well as a cable to lock the bikes. It is kind of difficult to get the bikes situated, we have two adult bikes and two kids bikes and had to get quite creative with the zip tie style pieces that ties the bike to the rack. I used to have one that was the flexible rubber, but you I couldn't find that feature on the racks meant for RVs. Not sure how it would fit training wheels, if at all. You might have to remove them to get everything on the rack.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #5

We bought the Yakima Longhaul last year, it didn't make it thru our 3rd trip and one of the arms was bent. I returned that one for a refund. This year I purchased a Stromberg Carlson bike rack, it is a 4 bike rack that is a tray mount style instead of the arms. Our fifth wheel does have the frame mounted hitch.
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:41 PM   #6

Wow, that's crazy that you bent it. It's pretty solid. Were you four wheeling with your trailer? Lol.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:20 AM   #7

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #8

I'd challenge anyone to break this rack:

Recon Rack Co

No affiliation. I just own one and love it. I've tried so many different combinations over the years, this is by far my favorite.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #9

This is what we use on the back of my Dad's Redhawk. We put 4 bikes on it, we flip each one so that they fit snugly in there together.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RFKBEO/
Beachmama13 is offline   Reply With Quote