Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2021, 07:46 AM   #1

Black tank

We have a 2017 Jayco 27.5RLTS and according to Jayco it has a 32.5 gallon black tank. We do a lot of camping that has water and electric but no septic. Has anyone or anyone know if a bigger black tank can be put in the 27.5 ? Or maybe a second tank installed ? Thanks for any help
Burchie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:12 AM   #2

Black water is not usually the issue. Most people can easily go 5 day on a tank that size. Grey water on the other hand, people have issues with filling very quickly. Many places state it is against their policies to dump the grey water onto the ground.

Personally, I have not heard of anyone putting in a larger tank. Generally speaking it is not a pleasant job. With an enclosed underbelly, it is a huge undertaking, and new brackets will need to be made.

There are a lot of different tank sizes and configurations. I would take a look on Amazon to get a base idea of tank options. https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Gallon...633661&sr=8-38

Personally, I would invest in a good quality portable waste tank with good wheels (maybe a wheel upgrade) that you can pull behind your TV.

https://www.amazon.com/Barker-27844-...633435&sr=8-22

You can also use a portable macerator pump to fill/empty the tank

https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Release...76KT254R&psc=1
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:48 AM   #3

Camco Rhino has a 36 gal. portable tank w/gate.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:00 AM   #4

I agree with the portable waste tank and macerator idea. I have the macerator (to use at home because I have a LONG way to my clean out), but no portable waste tank.

I considered getting a portable tank for a while. Not so much for black water, but grey water could be a problem every now and again. I ended up abandoning the idea because with judicious management, we can get a week out of our tanks, and we NEVER go that long without some kind of dump facility. If I know I'm going to have a grey water problem, I can carry a 5 gallon water tote (found it washed up on the Padre Island National Seashore) to "dispose" of grey water. It's not terribly efficient, but it'll work in a pinch.

The nice thing about the macerator and the tote tank is that you can put the tank in the back of the truck (or on a "stinger") and pump the waste into it. This opens up far more options for where to dump it since you can either pump it back out with the macerator, or use some "stinky slinky" and dump using gravity. And you can haul it as far as you need to to find a suitable waste facility as opposed to towing it behind the truck.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:52 AM   #5

Ok thanks Iíll have to look into a heavy duty caddy.
Burchie70 is offline   Reply With Quote