Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #1

Black Tank backflow preventer location

2017 Jayco 28.5bhxb (bath & 1/2)

Does anyone know how to access the front black tank backflow prevention device? I have looked everywhere and do not know where it is or how to gain access to the top of the black water tank where it is probably connected.

After previously using the flush system several times it began leaking last weekend. I've been able to determine that the leak is coming from the tank connection end of the pex tubing, not the external water hose connector end.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Jktb
Jktb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:59 PM   #2

I found my anti back flow valve/ vacuum break behind my shower right where the taps are. I thought it was a leak from the taps. I never knew it existed. I accessed it through the linen closet. I searched the inside to see if I could remove the panel and did it that way. The back of the taps were dry but when I saw the valve the flashlight caused a glare on the water droplets. By trial and error I could see the droplets coming out from the flat top of the valve. It leaked enough water to migrate 4’ to the basement storage. I removed the valve and replaced it with a double male 90* elbow that I made with copper and fittings because I couldn’t find a plastic 90*. I researched it on line finding it was one of the biggest complaints and causes for leaks. It releases water every time it is used. It is placed so that it is above the toilet height. I think some have found it under the sink as well.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:14 PM   #3

It's under the bathroom/lavatory sink in my SLX 267BHSW. It's the only thing I haven't winterized yet, looks like the only way to do it per the manual is to blow it out. Several on here say they've never winterized it and have never had any damage, however.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #4

Hello,
I posted on this as mine began peeking. Mine was located in the basement going up in the wall space of my pantry. I'm guessing your water pump is plumbed some what like mine. I traced my lines around my pump and found the lines going to the black tank backflow valve. I just cut it out and inserted a sharkbit fitting. You really don't need it because it's an industry standard part. It's designed to prevent black water from backing into your fresh water system while flushing. Think about it, your using a water supply of at least 35#. Your black tank will have to have greater pressure to over come the incoming water psi to contaminate. This will never happen because the black tank is vented. Good luck in your repairs.
Chris
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #5

Thanks for the Thank. If I'm looking at the right floorplan of your 5er, there is a ward behind the shower, in the living area. I think I would try to figure out if you have access to the back of the shower that way. There might be screws to remove to try and get the access. It might be easier, less re & re to get in there. Even if you cut an access it would likely be hidden after your done. My fear with removing the taps is breaking something during the process and trying to replace it. Drill a hole in the back of the ward for your inspection camera and look from there. Just make sure when drilling to not plunge in to something. Keep us posted please, it might help someone else. If you contact Jayco they will likely send you the plumbing schematics as well. When we got the North Point I requested all the schematics individually and got them within a few hours via email. I made the requests as I needed them, stating what my issue was and what I need them for. Here is the link, Service@Jayco.com , you will need your Jayco Serial #.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:15 AM   #6

I appreciate your good advice! I've contacted Jayco Service and am awaiting their reply, and will let you know how things progress.
Jktb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #7

[QUOTE=Chrisb-24;696491]Hello,
You really don't need it because it's an industry standard part. It's designed to prevent black water from backing into your fresh water system while flushing.

Assuming you are referring to the rv fresh water system, it actually is to prevent black water from reaching the potable water supply from the campground hook up at the spigot or your domestic supply at home. It shouldn't be plumbed/connected to or from the rv fresh water supply system . It is plumbed from the black water hookup, up to the anti siphon valve, back down to the black water tank.

It serves the same function as it does with an anti siphon valve for a residential garden hose bib connection. Every time you turn on and off the garden hose it prevents the hose water from entering your domestic supply, leaving a trickle of water visible at the hose bib. In our rv's we don't usually see the trickle. Sometimes the valve malfunctions leaving more than a trickle.

The valve on ours is a B&B 571, stating it is for rv use only. Have a look on line and see the many complaints from rv'ers. It is never in an easy to get at spot and apparently malfunctions frequently. The residential equivalent became part of the residential plumbing code in the late 70's or early 80's in our part of the world.