Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #1

Black tank plumbing issues on Pinnacle....anyone else?

We have a 2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS. We've been full timing two weeks now. We had a major clog at the first 90 degree elbow from the toilet to the tank. That was our fault.....newbie mistake....not enough water. We've been using Angel Soft TP. Hubby cleared the clog so we've been using tons of water when we flush. Today, we had another clog, same place. Today, we switched toilet paper to Scott's 1 ply.Question for other Pinnacle owners.....is anyone else having issues like this? This is a very poor design. I hope the new tp solves it.....

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!!

https://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com
5thwheelgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:43 PM   #2

We tried one of those baby diaper disposal pails. Drop the wad of TP in, give it a twist and its sealed. No smell, and no toilet paper in the tank to foul the sensors.... Even still when we have guests who forget the diaper disposal, we utilize the RV toilet paper, it dissolves easier.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:02 PM   #3

If you are flushing TP down your RV toilet, it should only be RV compatible toilet paper. Regular stuff will cause problems. However, the elbow you say you have in your drain doesn't help either.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:51 AM   #4

You are leaving the black tank valve closed till the black tank is full right? Never ever leave the black tank open...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #5

That's a poor design. Black water tank plumbing should always be designed to run straight out. Never understood why designers did that. Everyone knows, the quickest way out is straight. Same thing with a/c or heat. The more bends you have in the duct work, the more the flow is restricted.
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #6

Before... uh... you drop the kids off in the pool, be sure to make the bowl the deep end by filling it with water.

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #7

Black tank stays closed until it reads at least 3/4 full then dump it and close it back. Because of sewer gas we don't even leave grey tanks open. I can dump black and then grey in a few minutes and good to go for 2 days.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:19 AM   #8

Angel soft changed their TP and does not dissolve like it did in the past. We tested Costco brand TP and it dissolves quickly. When you think you used enough water when you flush the toilet add more.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:24 AM   #9

Are you using your black tank flush?

If one does not use a quick dissolving toilet paper you should.

Also a good chemical liquid tank treatment should not be avoided.

We use TankTechs Rx. 34oz bottle (68 treatments) retails for $39.95 ($.59 per tank treatment) and well worth it.

***You may have to get the "sewer guy" to remove/flush (high pressure water introduced straight up the dump outlet) all the buildup at the bottom of the tank. While he's at it he can remove any mildew or other things going on in the grey tanks. One might be suprised what is in those tanks.

We use TankTechs Rx in all our tanks.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:15 AM   #10

My Designer has a similar turn right at the bottom of the drain right at the black tank. I too had a plug one time early on. I full time and in year 5 and never a plug since:

I use zero chemicals in the tank
Only empty when tank "burps" and I know it is full
I use Northern Quilted multi ply TP
I use the tank flush most every time I dump the tank but not every time (I didn't use the flush at all for 3 months early this year since the park had such low water pressure I just didn't bother)
I do not put TP in a trash can or other device - it all goes in the black tank

What I do to prevent clogs is:

When ready to flush I fill the bowl up enough to cover whatever is in the tank and wet all of the TP. I then flush and fill the tank again up to at least the same level and flush again.

Never a problem in 5 years.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:29 AM   #11
Site Team

We try to keep it simple like edatlanta.

No chemicals, lots of water and dump when it sounds full. With practice, you will know when it's time. We use Angel soft to be consistent with home. Any works as long as it is septic safe.

As to saving the paper in a can, I would not be camping if that was the only option. To each his own!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:24 PM   #12

Toilet option . . .

We have a 2011 Pinnacle we enjoy it very much. Our toilet connection to the black tank is straight down, so no problem for us. I would like to share however, an option that can solve a number of "potty" problems - including when water is an issue. Take a peek at this great video on composting toilets. If you search YouTube a bit, you will find the couple that did the video, has others on this subject. Not saying this is for me, or anyone else, but it is an option. I found it interesting, especially the no water and no odor parts. The actual toilets are expensive, nearly $1,000 or more. If you do not know anything about composting toilets, you will be well educated once you have seen this video and the others the couple have done. Enjoy.

2011 Jayco Pinnacle 35LKTS
2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.7L
Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/72000 Wireless compressor
PullRite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
My Designer has a similar turn right at the bottom of the drain right at the black tank. I too had a plug one time early on. I full time and in year 5 and never a plug since:

I use zero chemicals in the tank
Only empty when tank "burps" and I know it is full
I use Northern Quilted multi ply TP
I use the tank flush most every time I dump the tank but not every time (I didn't use the flush at all for 3 months early this year since the park had such low water pressure I just didn't bother)
I do not put TP in a trash can or other device - it all goes in the black tank

What I do to prevent clogs is:

When ready to flush I fill the bowl up enough to cover whatever is in the tank and wet all of the TP. I then flush and fill the tank again up to at least the same level and flush again.

Never a problem in 5 years.
I agree completely. Never had chemicals in our Pinnacle in 4 years of fulltiming. Paper goes down the tube. I allow tank to fill until it burps, then drain, fill completely with water through flush connection, then drain again.
Never any tank odors, and the money saved on chemicals can be spent on more pleasurable pursuits.

David and Denise, fulltiming since 2011.
Blog: www.canadafulltimers.blogspot.com
Pinnacle 36RETS, Samsung RF197 refer, 17.5 wheels/H-rated tires, Mor-Ryde pinbox, wet bolts and X-Factor, Monroe shocks, TireMinder TPMS.
2013 GMC 3500HD DRW 2wd, AirLift rear airbags, Curt Q20, 46 gal ATI transfer tank, Yamaha 3000iS in pickup bed
huronwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:58 PM   #14

So far, we changed to Scott's 1 ply. It's been 3 days and so far, I don't think there's a clog. We've been using lots of water.....lots! We haven't used any chemicals harsher than our Environment friendly 'green' although we purchased RidX just in case. We want to put a camera down the tank to see if there's any rough surface that tp would get hung up on. I hate the 1 ply tp!

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!!

https://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com
5thwheelgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote