Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #1

Black tank problem

Our 2014 Eagle has what I can only describe as a large buildup of what I think is the residual bacteria etc. quorum? Problem is as it breaks down, it is very gritty and abrasive to the seals on my dump valve.

What caused this, how to eliminate, and how to prevent.

I don’t know if the previous owners put something in the tank they shouldn’t have or what.

I did have issues with what must’ve been a dam in there. Could flush and dump until clear, move the camper and it was sewage again. That has been cleared.
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #2

Some folks put a bit of liquid fabric softener in the tanks...don’t think it could hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2018, 12:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Some folks put a bit of liquid fabric softener in the tanks...don’t think it could hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try some liquid Calgon, or other water softener and regular Dawn dish soap. This helps break things down to clear out. In our former TT we used this on most every trip just as a precaution or help.
This has probably been discussed on this forum, I got the tip on another forum that I used to frequent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BroRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #4

I'm thinking that the previous owners failed to use toilet chemicals. You might want to consider adding some hot water to the black tank, add the appropriate amount of chemical and let it sit for a while to allow the bacteria to work. Take the unit for a drive and let it slosh around. The previous post was correct, use water softener and laundry detergent, let sit for a while and then take it for a drive. Once its cleaned out, always add toilet chemicals after each clean out.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #5

Black tank problem

I would love to get some hot water through a pressure washer into there! I guess I could add it slowly, one five gallon bucket at a time, and flush my home water heater at the same time.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #6

Could be they didn’t put enough water in the black tank. When we’re packing my wife keeps filling up the toilet and flushing until the black tank reads 2/3 full.

Like others said put some Calgon, Dawn, and a ton of water in the black tank and let it sit several days. Then drive it around and hit the dump station.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #7

I’ve done that. Only thing I haven’t done is get a bunch of hot water in it.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:21 PM   #8

Calgon and laundry soap. Take it for a 20 minute ride with some turns. I am the guy flushing the black tank for 30 minutes before we leave the campground site with full Hook. Then add calgon and laundry soap and maybe 2-5 gallons of water. Leave it in there for trip home.

RoadrunnerII

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
Calgon and laundry soap. Take it for a 20 minute ride with some turns. I am the guy flushing the black tank for 30 minutes before we leave the campground site with full Hook. Then add calgon and laundry soap and maybe 2-5 gallons of water. Leave it in there for trip home.

RoadrunnerII

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Takes me a while to flush my tank as well. Fill Dump fill dump fill rinse and repeat until the water is clear. Then put some water in it, add the treatments and go home. Won’t get dumped again until we use it again.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:45 PM   #10

Google GEO METHOD that will explain more about water softener and detergent.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #11

If they used very little water in the tank when they flushed you could have a "mountain". A 5 gallon pail of hot water right down the toilet can put some added pressure on that pile and move it along.

Agree with all the other comments on the softener, detergent and soak.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:44 PM   #12

We do chemicals and downy fabric softener.. My best results are from using a back flush kit that attaches at the sewer hose connection. It fills the tank fast. I do it two or three times before leaving the campground. That cured all odor problems.
mwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:00 PM   #13

You can add a bag of ice before you leave to go home. It will move around the tank and knock the stuck stuff loose then it melts.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:35 PM   #14

How about hooking a garden hose up to a hot water source and shoving it down the potty 'till it gets into the tank. It may knock some of the "stuff" loose and get into corners.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
How about hooking a garden hose up to a hot water source and shoving it down the potty 'till it gets into the tank. It may knock some of the "stuff" loose and get into corners.

That’s my next step.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:29 AM   #16

If it will reach, you may be able to use your shower hose to get hot water into the toilet/black tank. After dumping and reclosing the drain valve, I put a good squirt of Dawn dish soap and about 3/4 cup of 20 Mule Team Borax down the toilet. I adjust my shower head to the tightest spray pattern, step on the foot flush to open the toilet flush valve, and shoot the hot water right into the black tank. After the toilet is full of hot water, I let it sit for about 1/2 hour, then dump. Refill the tank with water only and dump.

Of course, you don't want to do this on a Sunday morning at the State Park Campground with 20 rigs backed up behind you! But if you're on full hook-ups, at home, or at the local campground on say a Tuesday afternoon, you might give it a try. I'm on the 5th year with my Eagle and my tank sensors still work!
Old 03-26-2018, 06:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
If it will reach, you may be able to use your shower hose to get hot water into the toilet/black tank. After dumping and reclosing the drain valve, I put a good squirt of Dawn dish soap and about 3/4 cup of 20 Mule Team Borax down the toilet. I adjust my shower head to the tightest spray pattern, step on the foot flush to open the toilet flush valve, and shoot the hot water right into the black tank. After the toilet is full of hot water, I let it sit for about 1/2 hour, then dump. Refill the tank with water only and dump.

Of course, you don't want to do this on a Sunday morning at the State Park Campground with 20 rigs backed up behind you! But if you're on full hook-ups, at home, or at the local campground on say a Tuesday afternoon, you might give it a try. I'm on the 5th year with my Eagle and my tank sensors still work!

How long does it take to fill you black tank with hot water from the shower? Does the hot water heater keep up or are you filling till you run out of hot water and the let it recharge?
Old 03-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8Train View Post
How long does it take to fill you black tank with hot water from the shower? Does the hot water heater keep up or are you filling till you run out of hot water and the let it recharge?
No way your going to fill it, nor do you need to. Another option is load the Calgon and detergent prior to hot water. Dump 5 gallons down the toilet and let is sit it for about 10 minutes then dump another hot 5 in. The steam will loosen all the walls up and base to which you could dump in say an hour.

Then dump a 5 gallon pail of cold right down the toilet while having someone watch the outside to confirm your moving stuff out. Hot water does wonders for loosening up solids.

They make tank rinsers to go on the end of garden hoses for insertion down the toilet. Just get a flexible one in case you have a bend in the pipe.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #19

The rentals water heater is probably due to be flushed. Might have to string the hose into the campers toilet when I drag it out of storage. Ya’ll think 40 gal of hot water should do it!? Lol
Old 03-26-2018, 07:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
If they used very little water in the tank when they flushed you could have a "mountain". A 5 gallon pail of hot water right down the toilet can put some added pressure on that pile and move it along.

Agree with all the other comments on the softener, detergent and soak.

I’m sure they used plenty of water, but whatever is in the tank is grinding away the seals on the dump valve, and lets the water leak out and down the sewer.