Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2020, 06:03 AM   #1

Black tank vent cleanout

I have a 2018 Jayco 325bhqs.

I get a toilet burp every flush empty or full. I received the plumbing schematic from Jayco and due to their single stack vent system I cannot use a snake or water to flush out the possible clog. The main stack goes into a gray tank, not the black.

I am thinking about cutting a neat access panel inside the camper and plumbing in a clean out.

Has anyone done something like this?

I have tried the flexible toilet wand, the black tank flush, and the fill and dump repeatedly process. Nothing gets rid of the burp. We also are not a seasonal, so there is movement to slosh stuff around.

Thanks.
spindrift19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:10 AM   #2

Being a 5ver, this may not be an option. When you flush, can you look down the hole (flash light??), and see into the black tank?

I am suspecting your not using enough water. After dumping the tank do you add about 10% clear water back into the tank. So if you have a 50 gallon tank, do you put at least 5 gallons of water back into it before using the tank again? When you flush are you filling the bowl before flushing?

If there is not enough water in the tank you are creating what sounds to me the dreaded poop pyramid. When the tank is "dry" all the solids land in a single spot and does not disperse throughout the tank.

How to get rid of it! Lots of thoughts. Some people like to dump a few bags of ice down the toilet before going on a drive. The thought the ice will slosh around and help breakup the pyramid. I like using something like liquid fabric softener, others use water softener. Both products changes the surface tension of the water, so it will soak into the pyramid, and helps soften the drying pile. I add about a 1 cup of fabric softener to 5 gallons of water. After dumping (and using the flush), pour more into the tank. Go for a drive, let it sit, go to your next campout, use the tank, fill the tank, drain the tank, flush the tank and repeat. It may take a few applications, as it needs to soak, and needs time to do its job. If you can get a manual wand down the toilet, use it too.

Being a 5ver, I suspect it would be very hard to use a manual tank flush wand.

Before cutting into your walls and vent, I would buy a cheap endoscope that can be connected to a PC or phone, and run it down the toilet or up the sewer drain and see what is going on. https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Endo...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift19 View Post
I have a 2018 Jayco 325bhqs.

I get a toilet burp every flush empty or full. I received the plumbing schematic from Jayco and due to their single stack vent system I cannot use a snake or water to flush out the possible clog. The main stack goes into a gray tank, not the black.

I am thinking about cutting a neat access panel inside the camper and plumbing in a clean out.

Has anyone done something like this?

I have tried the flexible toilet wand, the black tank flush, and the fill and dump repeatedly process. Nothing gets rid of the burp. We also are not a seasonal, so there is movement to slosh stuff around.

Thanks.
Is this a new issue or had it since the unit was new?

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:29 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I cannot see down the pipe as there are a few 45 elbows that run down into the tank through my front storage compartment. I should have mentioned that I have tried the softener and considered the pyramid. I like your idea of the scope and will try that first.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:31 PM   #5

It was not always a problem. We took the rig on a cross country trip two years ago when it was new, and no problems. During the return trip it started and I haven’t been able to solve it.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift19 View Post
It was not always a problem. We took the rig on a cross country trip two years ago when it was new, and no problems. During the return trip it started and I haven’t been able to solve it.
Sounds like you have a blockage in the piping or the urban legend of the poo pyramid since it worked ok for a while. Something has changed and it could be waste.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote