Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #1

Angry Black Tank Vent Problem

Burping toilet on a 321rlts fifth wheel which also routinely plugs at the tank inlet. Assume the roof event piping has broken/separated and fallen into the tank. The vent pipe is adjacent to the elbow inlet to the tank. Thought about a TV camera w/scope or cutting a hole in the wall column just behind the toilet. Has anyone had a structure failure with the tank or vent attachment? Any suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
Site Team

You could slide a wide tape measure down the vent pipe to see if it is below the water level. Also check to see if there are signs that the vent pipe has slipped down far enough to be below the water level which would cause the burp.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:36 PM   #3

Not sure if I understand your problem but you may have had something go into your vent pipe from the roof. Try running water down the vent pipe from the roof and see if that changes anything.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #4

Thanks, I did run a garden hose down the vent and water from that hose does drain.
Just don't know if I'm at the tank bottom. I assume the tank is pitch and when the liquid level rises to where I believe the vent is it starts burping. I also ran the hose down the toilet inlet and hit a hard restriction. Any other thoughts are appreciated.
Jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #5

Unless your setup is different the toilet is a pretty simple task to remove. Almost like your home. Lift it out and see what you have. It may be a toilet issue. Wish I could help more we have never owned a fifth wheel only TT and class A.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #6

had same problem on brothers we fought with vent for days it ending up being solild build up at inlet
finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #7

If the toilet is close to your storage compartment you can take part of the wall loose and see in or reach the pipe . The storage walls are usually easy to take off with a small square head screwdriver.
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by finney View Post
had same problem on brothers we fought with vent for days it ending up being solild build up at inlet
This gets my vote. Your symptoms sound familiar and this is usually the case that comes from not using enough water when flushing. IMHO

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #9

our old camper had a turn right under the toilet that would clog periodically and I ran a snake through it ... I would check toilet side next with water turned off and hold valve open and try to get a passthru into tank
Old 02-27-2015, 04:58 AM   #10

My sister wasn't using as much water per flush as I had told her to use and over time I got a plug right where the pipe from the toilet enters the black tank. I couldn't see it, but it was definitely plugged.

Get one of these:

Search - black tank wand - Camping World

Solved the problem in seconds.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote