Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #1

Black water out of grey tank

So, I just bought a 2018 Eagle BHOK. This past weekend was it's maiden voyage. Everything was going well until I went to drain the tanks. Somehow black water came rushing out of my grey tank dump. I have no clue how this happened. Does anybody have or had any experience with this? I assumed that would be impossible... if it was plumbed correctly. Meaning, the plumbing and tanks are independent of each other, correct? I'm at a loss here. Probably going to bring it in for some warranty work.
Josh1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:47 PM   #2

Mislabeled? What came out of the black tank?

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:50 PM   #3

Nothing at all.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:52 PM   #4

Do you have the sani con?

I do and I know with it I have an extra gate valve or two than those that don't. It is possible on my config to have both gray(two forward gray tanks) and black tank open at the same time with would essentially make one large tank. This would allow black matter into a gray tank.
Maybe you didn't have all the valves closed?

Also you know the order of the tanks from the front are black, gray, gray, and way at the back the small third gray.

I don't know if it is possible for it to be really plumbed wrong because the black tank is right under the toilet.

Maybe a label is wrong or the wrong color handle. Was installed at the factory.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:34 AM   #5
Site Team

I have seen them mis-labeled. It’s good to confirm that.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #6

Thanks guys. I'll see if its mislabeled. The dump in question is just aft of the basement. That's labeled "grey." Then moving farther aft it goes "black" and the "grey." This model does have a rear half bath. I don't know if that means anything.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1418 View Post
Thanks guys. I'll see if its mislabeled. The dump in question is just aft of the basement. That's labeled "grey." Then moving farther aft it goes "black" and the "grey." This model does have a rear half bath. I don't know if that means anything.
Just noticed there is more than one "BHOK" so sorry but I cant help much for the model you have because it is different than what I got.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #8

I suspect you have the 347BHOK. The website list 3 gray tanks and two black tanks on your unit.I would say there is a good chance one or more could be mislabeled.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasguy View Post
Do you have the sani con?

I do and I know with it I have an extra gate valve or two than those that don't. It is possible on my config to have both gray(two forward gray tanks) and black tank open at the same time with would essentially make one large tank. This would allow black matter into a gray tank.
Maybe you didn't have all the valves closed?

Also you know the order of the tanks from the front are black, gray, gray, and way at the back the small third gray.

I don't know if it is possible for it to be really plumbed wrong because the black tank is right under the toilet.

Maybe a label is wrong or the wrong color handle. Was installed at the factory.
Don't listen to the order of the tanks here, this is for 29.5BHOK.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
I suspect you have the 347BHOK. The website list 3 gray tanks and two black tanks on your unit.I would say there is a good chance one or more could be mislabeled.
You're correct. I should have put that in the first post. Ill called the dealer today. Waiting on a callback.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #11

I looked at the website and it lists 3 grey and 2 black. Looking at the rig, I only see 2 grey and one black dumps. I'm confused. I'm not new to trailers by any means, but I am new to 5'ers. I can't helo but to think I'm overlooking something, but what? This should be pretty cut and dry.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:43 PM   #12

Sorry I can't help more. On my Jayco the handle for the black tank is black. Gray tanks are gray handles also.

I did have one valve that was very hard to find even with it labeled. I had to lay on my back and really look because it was right next to a metal support bracket.

Please when you get it figured out let us all know.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:37 PM   #13

Mine is a little older but should be close.

I have four handles and two dump connections. The front dump connection under the control panel is for the two big grey tanks and the black tank. The rear dump connection is near the back of the trailer and it drains the little grey tank for the outside kitchen sink. There are four handles. The very front one is for the black tank. The handle just in front of the dump connection is for the bathroom grey tank. The handle just behind the dump connection is for the kitchen grey tank. There is a fouth handle near the rear dump connection for the outside kitchen grey tank.

When my trailer is level or a little nose high some black water will get in the grey tank lines, especially the line to the "middle" grey tank since the connecting line is longer. When the grey tank is drained that amount of black water is then forced out the drain. It can be a gallon or two. The connecting line to the front grey tank is short so it will only have a small amount.

If you are only draining the grey tank and you get some black water then you probably have a leak in the black tank valve. I do. Rather than go to the trouble of having it replaced I added a gate valve to the front dump connection. When I arrive at a site I connect all the hoses and run them to the CG sewer line, then open the gate valve. Whatever residual is then drained into the hoses instead of on the ground.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
Mine is a little older but should be close.

I have four handles and two dump connections. The front dump connection under the control panel is for the two big grey tanks and the black tank. The rear dump connection is near the back of the trailer and it drains the little grey tank for the outside kitchen sink. There are four handles. The very front one is for the black tank. The handle just in front of the dump connection is for the bathroom grey tank. The handle just behind the dump connection is for the kitchen grey tank. There is a fouth handle near the rear dump connection for the outside kitchen grey tank.

When my trailer is level or a little nose high some black water will get in the grey tank lines, especially the line to the "middle" grey tank since the connecting line is longer. When the grey tank is drained that amount of black water is then forced out the drain. It can be a gallon or two. The connecting line to the front grey tank is short so it will only have a small amount.

If you are only draining the grey tank and you get some black water then you probably have a leak in the black tank valve. I do. Rather than go to the trouble of having it replaced I added a gate valve to the front dump connection. When I arrive at a site I connect all the hoses and run them to the CG sewer line, then open the gate valve. Whatever residual is then drained into the hoses instead of on the ground.
This sounds like a 29.5BHOK Not the 347BHOK that the thread starter has.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:18 AM   #15

I have a 2015 Eagle 323LKTS. The labels for the 3 dump valves I have are mislabeled. It's crazy how many people I've heard have this problem.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #16

Quote:
This sounds like a 29.5BHOK Not the 347BHOK that the thread starter has.
OK, did not see the rest of his sig.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #17

I have a 29.5 with Sanicon and only have one grey tank valve in the front. Worked fine first three camping trips but now kitchen grey tank will not empty.
Dvallez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvallez View Post
I have a 29.5 with Sanicon and only have one grey tank valve in the front. Worked fine first three camping trips but now kitchen grey tank will not empty.
I also have the sanicon, I guarantee you that you have two grey tanks in the front. You just haven't found the handle for the kitchen one, that is why it won't empty. It can be hidden but it is there. It could be almost underneath the skirting where to have to get on your back to find it the first time, right by the front of the large slide.

When I get time I might make a video to put on youtube because it seems like everyone can't find all the valves. But that will be a long time from now and probably wont happen.

Don't give up until you find it, it is there. I suspect it is in such a dumb location because the tank might be directly below the kitchen sink.

It took me a long time to figure out where the valve was that shuts off the sanicon for if you want to do a regular dump, that one was even more hidden on mine.