Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2020, 01:38 PM   #1

Black water rinse vacuum / check valve failure

Rinsing the black water tank and found water running from the floor into the storage compartment and on top of the furnace (The furnace quit working afterwards)

What a mess...

I found the access hatch to the back of the shower and removed it it. I could sort of see the check valve line but since I wasn't sure what I was looking for....just investigating for water I didn't pay much attention to the fact it was leaning on the exterior wall. The back of the shower was dry and I really couldn't see the floor.

Ultimately I had to remove the shelving in the closest to get the side panel moved, to see what was going on. After I got the rinse line over where I could see, and turned on the rinse, water was going all over. Ordered a new valve and temporarily capped the rinse line.

But....what a terrible location, I'm going to relocate it.

And the furnace.....after taking it out it was dripping with water. I pulled the board, reset switch and sail switch and dried them all off. After waiting to make sure it was completely dry I reassembled and put it back in. To my amazement, it works.
Attached Thumbnails
20200424_092925.jpg   20200424_105140.jpg   20200424_105153.jpg  
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:36 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Those cheap, crappy backflow preventers Jayco has installed has been a problem for many people. Plus, as you found out, they hide them, which makes it really tough to fix/replace.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:58 PM   #3

Common to all brands. I removed them in all my units. I use a RV brass water inlet check valve on the back of the flush connection and completely eliminate the vac breaker and extra pex.

They will leak, it's just a matter of time.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:15 PM   #4

Replaced ours, but I'm of the opinion you need the vacuum break and a check valve. In residential code they're both required. This picture isn't mine, but is essentially what I did w/o using Sharkbites.
Attached Thumbnails
Vacuum break check valve.jpg  
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman44 View Post
Replaced ours, but I'm of the opinion you need the vacuum break and a check valve. In residential code they're both required. This picture isn't mine, but is essentially what I did w/o using Sharkbites.
Just remember, the vac break is what will eventually leak. Unless frost damage occurs.

Earl
Old 04-25-2020, 08:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Just remember, the vac break is what will eventually leak. Unless frost damage occurs.

Earl

FWIW I have a residential HVAC business. We install lots of parts that will eventually fail. We install them because they're a code requirement and help to keep people safe. I used the brass components similar to what's shown in the picture because I feel they will last longer. Perhaps longer than the RV. YMMV
Old 04-25-2020, 09:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Replaced ours, but I'm of the opinion you need the vacuum break and a check valve. In residential code they're both required.
I'm just curious as to why the vacuum breaker is needed in an RV. I really don't know the function of the vacuum breaker but assumed it was a back flow prevention device. I did the same as MoparEarl and removed the leaky breaker and installed the check valve/back flow prevention at the hose source.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:29 AM   #8

Code or not, my trailer won't be flooded due to a vac breaker. Once was enough! RV codes may or may not follow the same codes as residential or commercial. Or state to state, county to county, boro to boro, city to city or town to town. Since the RV moves, your guess as good as anyone's if it's within code where you're at.

The toilet vac breaker is common to leak. But will only leak when you flush. So those I don't mind until they leak, due to some just suck to get to. Also tracking one down isn't always easy. Had one on my current trailer go bad. No one stocked the hand sprayer one. So I had to buy the one without then order and replace it with the correct one at a later time. So I kept the one without hand sprayer for a spare. The things that go wrong in a remote area on a weekend with no cell service. Lol spent half the day trying to find a toilet vac breaker. Unfortunately they aren't standard. Even the same brand doesn't use the same one across the models.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Old 04-25-2020, 09:30 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

Earl
Based on where they mount these things in some RVs, I believe it's best to remove them, to prevent water damage in the future.

Quote:
FWIW I have a residential HVAC business. We install lots of parts that will eventually fail. We install them because they're a code requirement and help to keep people safe. I used the brass components similar to what's shown in the picture because I feel they will last longer. Perhaps longer than the RV. YMMV
The point is, these are RVs, not residential houses, so residential codes don't apply. Plus, many of these vacuum breakers are mounted in areas that are unaccessible, just waiting for an issue to happen. When you're outside flushing your black tank, you have no idea you're flooding your rig when they go bad.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I'm just curious as to why the vacuum breaker is needed in an RV. I really don't know the function of the vacuum breaker but assumed it was a back flow prevention device. I did the same as MoparEarl and removed the leaky breaker and installed the check valve/back flow prevention at the hose source.

Here's a good article on the whys and hows of a vacuum breaker. https://www.contractormag.com/codes/...tect-our-water
Old 04-28-2020, 08:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Code or not, my trailer won't be flooded due to a vac breaker. Once was enough! RV codes may or may not follow the same codes as residential or commercial. Or state to state, county to county, boro to boro, city to city or town to town. Since the RV moves, your guess as good as anyone's if it's within code where you're at.

The toilet vac breaker is common to leak. But will only leak when you flush. So those I don't mind until they leak, due to some just suck to get to. Also tracking one down isn't always easy. Had one on my current trailer go bad. No one stocked the hand sprayer one. So I had to buy the one without then order and replace it with the correct one at a later time. So I kept the one without hand sprayer for a spare. The things that go wrong in a remote area on a weekend with no cell service. Lol spent half the day trying to find a toilet vac breaker. Unfortunately they aren't standard. Even the same brand doesn't use the same one across the models.

Earl
This may be a dumb question but how many are there in a 5th wheel?
2020 F-450 Lariat 6.7l CCLB DRW
rkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelly View Post
This may be a dumb question but how many are there in a 5th wheel?
Two vac breakers that I know of. The black flush and the one on the toilet. Toilet would only leak during flushing.

Earl
Old 05-02-2020, 11:42 PM   #13

Does anyone know off hand where this is located on a 2018 eagle ht fifthwheel. Want to replace mine before it becomes a problem.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Here's a good article on the whys and hows of a vacuum breaker. https://www.contractormag.com/codes/...tect-our-water
Thanks for the info, always nice to be better informed.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #15

Replaced mine
Attached Thumbnails
F789669B-1DF6-43FB-978A-9016A6DFD6D3.jpg  
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:57 PM   #16

The by pass. Both photos turned 90 degrees off
Attached Thumbnails
9876B7E3-84EF-471D-8D1E-2752875CE88D.jpg  
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
Does anyone know off hand where this is located on a 2018 eagle ht fifthwheel. Want to replace mine before it becomes a problem.
Kyle,
It depends on the layout and specific model, but if your HT has a shower in a bathroom to the left of the stairs, it may be behind the shower in the corner near the shower valve. Best way to locate it is to follow the lines from the back side of your black tank flush hose connection. On my HT, the outside water command center is located below the shower level right under the shower, it's not hard to follow the lines from the flush connection, just follow it to wherever it goes up well above the floor level.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
Kyle,
It depends on the layout and specific model, but if your HT has a shower in a bathroom to the left of the stairs, it may be behind the shower in the corner near the shower valve. Best way to locate it is to follow the lines from the back side of your black tank flush hose connection. On my HT, the outside water command center is located below the shower level right under the shower, it's not hard to follow the lines from the flush connection, just follow it to wherever it goes up well above the floor level.
On your ht is there access to the shower valves behind the mirror in the main living area
Shokyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
On your ht is there access to the shower valves behind the mirror in the main living area
Our shower is a corner unit with round doors, the back corner is on the outside and kitchen hutch wall, so there is no access from the backside. To reach the backflow preventer I would have to remove the shower valve escutcheon, and even then it might be very hard to work on. It might require disconnecting the lines in the basement and pulling the entire thing out. I have no idea if it is fastened to anything. I will have to look up in there with my endoscope camera to see what I might be up against.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:58 PM   #20

Sounds like from the stairs forward our units are the same I have a 29.5 bhds. Thanks for the help. My next days off I will dig into this.