Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2023, 08:18 PM   #1

BMPRO Storage Issue

I have a 2022 Jayco 310 RLTS with generator and disk brakes. I removed the batteries for the winter and have them stored in a heated garage on a trickle charger. I am wondering if I am going to have a problem with the BMPRO when I reinstall them in the spring. I wonder if I should have left the batteries in the 5th wheel and just kept it plugged in? Thoughts?

crich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:56 PM   #2

Short answer, yes you should have left it plugged in, at least if my experience is any indication. I removed my batteries for just a short time to install some battery trays and my BMPro started the dreaded boot looping, which I found to mean the battery inside the tablet was so weak it could not bring itself back to life. Removing it from its case and using a charger in my home did not work. There are a couple of threads on the subject including one where I just posted about my experience of buying a new battery for it and the process I went thru to get it installed in the tablet.

You may get lucky and not have an issue and I hope that is the case for you. My suggestion is hook your batteries back up and see what it does.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:59 PM   #3

It will be totally dead and may or may not come back easily. I should add that the JayCommand system will not be dead, just the tablet that controls it. So if you have a phone or another tablet paired with it you will still be able to control things from that.

Read this thread for issues when it does not come back alive:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ml#post1092190
Old 01-23-2023, 04:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
Short answer, yes you should have left it plugged in, at least if my experience is any indication. I removed my batteries for just a short time to install some battery trays and my BMPro started the dreaded boot looping, which I found to mean the battery inside the tablet was so weak it could not bring itself back to life. Removing it from its case and using a charger in my home did not work. There are a couple of threads on the subject including one where I just posted about my experience of buying a new battery for it and the process I went thru to get it installed in the tablet.

You may get lucky and not have an issue and I hope that is the case for you. My suggestion is hook your batteries back up and see what it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
It will be totally dead and may or may not come back easily. I should add that the JayCommand system will not be dead, just the tablet that controls it. So if you have a phone or another tablet paired with it you will still be able to control things from that.

Read this thread for issues when it does not come back alive:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ml#post1092190

X3
Old 01-23-2023, 08:56 AM   #5

Every post I've ever read about batteries says to bring them inside and keep them charged. From what I'm hearing I should have left them in the RV and just kept it plugged in. Is that what everyone with this system is doing?

Old 01-23-2023, 09:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich View Post
Every post I've ever read about batteries says to bring them inside and keep them charged. From what I'm hearing I should have left them in the RV and just kept it plugged in. Is that what everyone with this system is doing?

I've got solar and lithium batteries and use my RV pretty much year round. After reading posts of the tablet battery failures I'm gonna try to never disconnect my batteties for long, if ever!
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:15 AM   #7

It all depends and there are multiple components to this...

Looks like you're in the Pueblo CO area, which can have VERY cold weather.

How is the trailer stored? It sounds like its outside, is it also under a cover? It takes a very low temperature for any battery type to totally freeze however damage still can be done.

What type of batteries are they? LA, LiFePO4? Where are they located, in a bay or outside?

For me I am in AZ so our winters are pretty mild in comparison to anything else out there. We just have the reverse, our summers suck! Anyway I keep ours connected and on all the time as well. My batteries are also in my passthrough and not out in the elements.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:18 AM   #8

We've always used lead acid types on our rv's. Our Pinnacle has 2 6 volts. In the past 20 years I've had 2 motor homes and 2 fifth wheels and they always were kept in the rv's and hooked up to 50 amp shore power. I think the coldest it has been for us a couple of years ago was 14 below. I've never had an issue with the batteries. Our last fifth wheel had its batteries for 7 years and I only changed them because it made me feel better.

The BMPro tablet battery is a different animal and some debate on why they fail. I'm certainly no expert but my uneducated suspicion is the constant charge it is getting along with no way to power it down has something to do with it. Evidently BMPro disables the power button. Failure seems to occur when the rv batteries are removed. Or, not. I had one fail under warranty which had never had the power removed. It just seems that improving the odds of avoiding a failure is to keep it powered.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:58 AM   #9

The batteries are stored in the RV battery compartment. I keep my 5th wheel in a unheated garage out of the elements. The batteries are two 12 volt marine lead acid. I have reinstalled the batteries and the RV is plugged into a 50 amp service.

Old 01-26-2023, 09:49 AM   #10

After installing the batteries and plugging into 50 amp shore power, I let the unit set for a couple of days. Today I went out the check it and after a few minutes the BMPRO came to life and everything seems to be back to normal. Thanks to everyone who responded. I wish Jayco and said something about that in their manual.

crich

Old 02-01-2023, 02:05 PM   #11

Well, I thought it was working but it turns out that it is in the rebooting loop and has been that way for the last 5 days.

Old 02-01-2023, 03:10 PM   #12

We have a Pinnacle 32rlts. I disconnected the batteries completely last winter, not just the battery disconnect. When we reconnected them in the spring they were not dead as usual when we just disconnected at the manual disconnect and the BMPRO came right up. I didn’t have to reprogram. I was surprised, because I had always read I would have to reprogram.
CoraS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 03:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Well, I thought it was working but it turns out that it is in the rebooting loop and has been that way for the last 5 days.
It needs to come off the camper and charged indoors with a good AC charger. I used an IPAD charger.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:12 PM   #14

I have it inside on a android phone charger and it just stays in the rebooting mode. I'm at a loss as what I can do except to replace it. Thoughts?

Old 02-02-2023, 06:42 AM   #15

Quote:
I have it inside on a android phone charger and it just stays in the rebooting mode. I'm at a loss as what I can do except to replace it. Thoughts?
Read my thread "BMPro Tablet Won't Respond". I started it because I had the same issue but the real knowledge came from others. Your best option in my opinion is to replace the battery, which will cost you less than a couple of meals at McDonalds. It wasn't that bad or, for someone with zero experience, I couldn't have done it.

Your other options are to pay the big bucks to Jayco for a replacement or find a cheap generic tablet that will fit the case. I understand that option will work but you will loose some capabilities. I'm not sure what they are though.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
Read my thread "BMPro Tablet Won't Respond". I started it because I had the same issue but the real knowledge came from others. Your best option in my opinion is to replace the battery, which will cost you less than a couple of meals at McDonalds. It wasn't that bad or, for someone with zero experience, I couldn't have done it.

Your other options are to pay the big bucks to Jayco for a replacement or find a cheap generic tablet that will fit the case. I understand that option will work but you will loose some capabilities. I'm not sure what they are though.
X2. I seem to remember reading that with the generic tablet, there were issues with the cloud connection, but can't be certain of that.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Do you have another charger handy? that could possibly make a difference. Worth a try.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:08 AM   #18

Quote:
You may need a higher power charger. The tablet might be using everything the charger is putting out in the reboot loop and not pushing enough to the battery to charge it.

I had the same issue and use an iPad charger with higher output then the wall-warts.

A new battery is also an option, as F350guy stated. YouTube mechanics to the rescue!
FireguyEd is offline   Reply With Quote