Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2023, 07:29 AM   #81

I wonder if the sitting on the dealer lot is doing more damage. If they go to show the RV with a booster, or hooking up to some sort of battery it does a small charge to the tablet battery each time. Depending on how many times this happens it could potentially cause some future issues.

Bigger question is why use a tablet at all vs just a screen like most of the other systems? Those systems may have other issues, don't know, but they don't have any battery to worry about. Redesign with a screen seems like the better solution, if its the Bluetooth/Wi-Fi that they wanted to utilize from the tablet just build it into the controller. Those chips are cheap!
Old 01-31-2023, 07:33 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
I wonder if the sitting on the dealer lot is doing more damage. If they go to show the RV with a booster, or hooking up to some sort of battery it does a small charge to the tablet battery each time. Depending on how many times this happens it could potentially cause some future issues.

Bigger question is why use a tablet at all vs just a screen like most of the other systems? Those systems may have other issues, don't know, but they don't have any battery to worry about. Redesign with a screen seems like the better solution, if its the Bluetooth/Wi-Fi that they wanted to utilize from the tablet just build it into the controller. Those chips are cheap!
Which makes me wonder if the tablet will power up with the Tablet battery missing?

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:40 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Likely so and went cheap too....cheap
unless you buy a retail replacement from them.
Most decent tablet batteries last for many years.
Prevoius post on subject-

""Called BMPro about it and called Jayco.. $585 for a new tablet and control.panel... they don't sell the tablet separately. So I bought a 7 inch android tablet from am..Amazon... fits perfect..""
Hello thanks for the info, which tablet did you buy on Amazon to fit into the BMPRO frame?
I bought a new battery solder it and now charging with a stronger charger. Tablet came on once and noticed it was only charged at 1%. Then went completely off again. Letting it charge and will see what happens.
Florida2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:42 AM   #84

It might but it would need to be a stronger "charger" to power it thought. It might be possible just to tap off the 12v that is already there and put some sort of higher power charger in directly to the tablet while mounted. I am pretty sure that the connection to it is only power (I believe its only two wires on that connector, right?), and no data going to the controller from the tablet.

Anyone willing to mess with their's to see if it would power up without a internal battery? Shouldn't cause any harm to the tablet, just plugging it in while replacing their battery to see?
Old 01-31-2023, 02:23 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
power it down like I described in other post. Cycle the hard buttons below to "OF" then press "EXT", it will power down.
This is where the confusion comes in for sure.

I have done THIS procedure with ours, and it did nothing. Maybe that works on some, but it did not on ours...
Old 01-31-2023, 02:26 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post

Bigger question is why use a tablet at all vs just a screen like most of the other systems? Those systems may have other issues, don't know, but they don't have any battery to worry about. Redesign with a screen seems like the better solution, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
Which makes me wonder if the tablet will power up with the Tablet battery missing?
THIS makes a TON of sense to me. I'd be skeptical, though, that the current low amperage charge would have the oomph to power the screen, since it boot when the battery is dead. That might be because it's trying to hard to charge the battery as well...
Old 02-05-2023, 09:14 AM   #87

Well, mine lasted just over three weeks since last charge, so another call to the dealer tomorrow. What's strange is that it always shows being 100% charged.
Old 02-05-2023, 01:46 PM   #88

wee, that was this morning. This afternoon it is back. Color me confused!
Old 02-05-2023, 04:05 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
wee, that was this morning. This afternoon it is back. Color me confused!
Self repair is always good.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:21 PM   #90

I replaced my battery yesterday also, it had gone into the never ending boot loop and finally just shut off completely. I found a nice computer repair type toolkit on Amazon that also had some good plastic tools for opening the tablet sides, in total i spent about $45 and had it fixed in about an hour. I did have to take my tablet over to my office where i have a soldering gun so be aware of that, but other than that, & besides scraping the glue that holds the battery, it was fairly easy.

My tablet has a secondary problem, which started before the battery issue and it continues, it often likes to just crash and reboot or something, i find the app closed & on the home screen, the app doesn't always auto start so i might see if i can find another program that can do that. I'll have to try and catch it happening but i don't think there is a fix for now.
Genwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:19 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by f350guy View Post
self repair is always good.

lol:d
Old 02-07-2023, 11:45 AM   #92

I wanted to add my two cents to this thread, since I think this info is relevant. I have the full BMPro tablet / control panel (with buttons) like most of us have. My camper has been in and out of the shop, and I just got it back last week. My tablet powers on fine, states the battery is 100% charged, but when I kill 12v to the camper via the breaker in the battery compartment, the tablet dies. When I reset the breaker, the tablet does power back on.

So it seems not all of these tablets suffer from the boot loop issues. In my case, I assume my tablet's battery is trashed, so I'm going to try to replace the battery. I'll have to come up with a tool to push the two tabs in to remove the tablet, as it's too close to the wood trim below to be able to get my fingers in there.
JayG7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:55 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG7800 View Post
I wanted to add my two cents to this thread, since I think this info is relevant. I have the full BMPro tablet / control panel (with buttons) like most of us have. My camper has been in and out of the shop, and I just got it back last week. My tablet powers on fine, states the battery is 100% charged, but when I kill 12v to the camper via the breaker in the battery compartment, the tablet dies. When I reset the breaker, the tablet does power back on.

So it seems not all of these tablets suffer from the boot loop issues. In my case, I assume my tablet's battery is trashed, so I'm going to try to replace the battery. I'll have to come up with a tool to push the two tabs in to remove the tablet, as it's too close to the wood trim below to be able to get my fingers in there.
an angled pick may work?

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 01:46 PM   #94

I have found that my tablet can be shut down if DC power is removed from it, but when the coach batteries are on it will reboot. I don't know if it will work this way with the control buttons also or not. As far as removal the top hooks onto the backer plate and the bottom pops out
Ogerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 05:49 PM   #95

Your tablet battery has likely failed or is very weak. You should replace it because it will continue to cause issues.
cam i am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 04:29 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
Actually, it wasn't that difficult. In the thread "New BMPro control center" on this forum, on page 9, jetlag shows how to get the tablet out of its case. That took 2 minutes at most. Getting the tablet case apart took me a few days of intermittent messing with it as there are no screws keeping it together and I was afraid I was going to damage it. Finally I decided if I break it so what and forced a small flat blade screwdriver into the seam and it popped open just a bit. I then walked the screwdriver around it to finish getting it apart.

The old battery was held in place by some really strong glue or caulk of some kind and I had to use a putty knife to break thru the glue and get it out. The new battery is somewhat smaller but does have the same specs. Getting it wired in place was another challenge as the wires are soldered to the board. I have only used a jumbo version of a soldering iron on much larger wires, no experience with circuit boards. I watched every YouTube video I could find on soldering circuit boards and ordered a $19 soldering kit from Amazon, which did the job just fine. The whole experience is completely out of my wheel house so I was just a little surprised when the tablet came to life. I am charging it for a while before I put everything back together.

i replied on another post that the new battery is here. I need to ascertain with the dealer that it doesn't have to go back to them before I tear into it. You said on another post you would solder JST connectors, which I also ordered, if you had to do it again. Trying to get ready lol
Old 06-15-2023, 07:07 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
i replied on another post that the new battery is here. I need to ascertain with the dealer that it doesn't have to go back to them before I tear into it. You said on another post you would solder JST connectors, which I also ordered, if you had to do it again. Trying to get ready lol
We recently recently received a new tablet under warranty and did have to return the old one to the dealer. You may want to hold off from opening yours until you know for sure.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 03:41 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
We recently recently received a new tablet under warranty and did have to return the old one to the dealer. You may want to hold off from opening yours until you know for sure.

Thanks, I am
Old 07-18-2023, 05:48 AM   #99

New tablet arrived yesterday. So far nothing from dealer as far as having to return the old one. Jayco sent the entire assembly, from the backing plate to the hard buttons . This one has a tamper proof small sticky on the back that I don't recall seeing on the old one.
Old 08-10-2023, 03:43 PM   #100

Can you post the Amazon link for the tablet you bought?
Lonnyb_98 is offline   Reply With Quote