Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #1

Brake controller setting

Hay gang, There's a bunch of different controllers out there, and a thousand different configurations. My 2014 2500 HD silverado came with one installed from factory. Being this is my first Jayco FW. Eagle HT 27.5 ......Maybe I could get some feedback on where you guys like your settings at....
smoakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:11 PM   #2

That's going to differ from truck to truck, driver to driver and trailer to trailer. Adjust it to where you like it for your needs. Lots of time you need to adjust your gain for changing driving conditions and weight changes. It's rarely a set it and forget it deal, especially on electric drum brakes. Disc brakes tend to brake the same cold or hot. Drums get grabby when hot, so in stop and go traffic you will find you need to back the gain down or whiplash yourself. Cold drum brakes are weaker than warm brakes.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:55 PM   #3

Thank you Smoakin and Earl. This is a useful thread.

We are new to this and still figuring things out. Our Jayco dealer had little to offer about brake gain - don’t let the traler push you or the truck tug. So we are still playing with settings. Will be glad to hear of others advice. -Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:06 PM   #4

I had my keystone 30 ft. TT setting at " 7 " @ a trailer weight of 6000lbs. like Earl said drum brakes act different when warmer. My FW is at 8000lbs + I'll play with it this spring.
one of my fellow travelers told me he sets his in the gravel. when they just start to lock up he knows they're good for the pavement.
smoakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:55 PM   #5

Condition of the brakes, brake adjustment and the wiring condition and size also play a factor in the setting.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #6

One thing a lot of people don't check, especially after a brake job is the setting on the individual brakes. Each wheel needs to be picked up off the ground and the adjustment set as to the proper braking. If you don't do this, you don't really know how well your brakes are properly working. We also had to replace all the wiring to the brakes after a recent brake job.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:52 AM   #7

One size does not fit all. Each truck and trailer have different weights. Each trailer has different braking abilities. I set mine on 6.5. You may need 5.5 or 7.5 towing my 5er.
The proper way to setup a TBC is to drive 25 mph, squeeze the manual sliding brake lever on the TBC. If the brakes lock up then reduce the gain intil they don't. Or if they don't then increase till they do and then back off.
If the brakes don't lock up at all even on 10 then it's either the way the TBC is programmed to the trailer brakes need adjusting.
Trailer brakes should be adjusted prior to testing anyway.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
One size does not fit all. Each truck and trailer have different weights. Each trailer has different braking abilities. I set mine on 6.5. You may need 5.5 or 7.5 towing my 5er.
The proper way to setup a TBC is to drive 25 mph, squeeze the manual sliding brake lever on the TBC. If the brakes lock up then reduce the gain intil they don't. Or if they don't then increase till they do and then back off.
If the brakes don't lock up at all even on 10 then it's either the way the TBC is programmed to the trailer brakes need adjusting.
Trailer brakes should be adjusted prior to testing anyway.
Concur with this procedure; this matches the setup in the Silverado HD owners manual. OP, look in your Silverado Owners mauual in the Trailer section and the proper way to set up your factory trailer brake system is described. It’s listed as “Trailer Gain Adjustment Procedure”.
ricemanwm is offline   Reply With Quote