Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2023, 07:30 AM   #1

Brake/Turn signals

While driving the camper to get it worked on, my wife was following and noticed the brake/turn lights were not working. The tail lights are working fine. A call to the dealer said it might be the truck and not the lights. he mentioned checking fuses under the hood, however, the repair place connected their truck with the same results. They were very busy and were doing some repairs for us ahead of our upcoming trip, and didn't have time to trouble shoot. None of the right side brake/turn signals work, including the small orange light on the side of camper that I was not aware also provides turn signal. I am leaning towards a fault with the wiring somewhere?
Old 03-27-2023, 08:18 AM   #2

Might be a connection issue with the bundle of wires behind your propane tanks on the drivers side. They use the Wago style connectors and I noticed the other day that on two of the connectors the lid was lifted which would allow for pulling the wire out of the Wago connector. I seem to always manage to bump into them when taking the tanks out to get filled. Just a starting point, hope this helps.
Randyman69357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:09 PM   #3

what he said above...plus there is a light on the Jaysmart unit that will give fault codes.

Yep, and zip tie those wires up....that is what I did

Click For Full-Size Image.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman69357 View Post
Might be a connection issue with the bundle of wires behind your propane tanks on the drivers side. They use the Wago style connectors and I noticed the other day that on two of the connectors the lid was lifted which would allow for pulling the wire out of the Wago connector. I seem to always manage to bump into them when taking the tanks out to get filled. Just a starting point, hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
what he said above...plus there is a light on the Jaysmart unit that will give fault codes.

Yep, and zip tie those wires up....that is what I did

Click For Full-Size Image.

Thank You both.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:44 PM   #5

getting ready to leave on a trip Wednesday. I briefly checked on the Wago connectors behind the gas tank. All appear to be connected and I see a blinking green light every few seconds from the unit. I think that is normal? or not?
Old 03-27-2023, 04:05 PM   #6

flashes means a fault....how many in a row?

Also, have you tried to remove 12 volt power from camper for a few minutes to reset? I suggest...turning AC power off and tripping both breakers in the battery compartment for the 12 volt... then resetting them.

B&W hitch
Old 03-28-2023, 03:05 AM   #7

Quote:

Also, have you tried to remove 12 volt power from camper for a few minutes to reset? I suggest...turning AC power off and tripping both breakers in the battery compartment for the 12 volt... then resetting them.

I have the one green flashing light every few seconds, haven't timed it but it is a one flash event. I was not aware the breakers in the battery compartment could be manually reset. Truth be known, never really looked at them very close. Looking at your picture it looks like it should be a #6 event maybe. I will go look at them further this morning. Thanks
Old 03-28-2023, 06:09 AM   #8

As suggested, I would recheck the Wago connectors at the end where the 7 way cord terminates. My problem was the same as yours. I ended up removing the Wago connectors and replacing them with dielectric grease filled butt connectors. Fixed that problem.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:11 AM   #9

I would also look at your Seven way plug on the trailer and make sure there is nothing wrong and it doesn't have corrosion on the metal contacts.

B&W hitch
Old 03-28-2023, 06:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
As suggested, I would recheck the Wago connectors at the end where the 7 way cord terminates. My problem was the same as yours. I ended up removing the Wago connectors and replacing them with dielectric grease filled butt connectors. Fixed that problem.
Quote:
I would also look at your Seven way plug on the trailer and make sure there is nothing wrong and it doesn't have corrosion on the metal contacts.

Were all your connectors and wires properly connected? I am a poor excuse for an electrician, lol, but will check the connections again. An electrician friend is not overly fond of them either. I will check out the 7 way plug as well, shouldn't be corroded but you never can tell. The mobile RV place where I ended up taking the camper to get the passenger side front landing gear replaced said they connected it to their truck with the same result.
Old 03-28-2023, 01:28 PM   #11

From your description, I would have to agree with others that it might be in your junction box where the wires come in from your pigtail. Just because they "appear" to be connected does not mean that there isn't a broken wire not making a connection. Unfortunately, the only way to troubleshoot this is to use a test light or meter and check at each connection point to figure out where the circuit is broken.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 02:35 PM   #12

Thanks, I think you are correct. I may try to fiddle with them some after we arrive at Creekfire Rv resort in Savannah tomorrow. Will be there for 12 days.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom View Post
From your description, I would have to agree with others that it might be in your junction box where the wires come in from your pigtail. Just because they "appear" to be connected does not mean that there isn't a broken wire not making a connection. Unfortunately, the only way to troubleshoot this is to use a test light or meter and check at each connection point to figure out where the circuit is broken.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
Quote:

Alright, all you experts, tell me what I have done here, lol. Over the last couple of days I checked on the connectors, making sure the wires were in and the tabs closed on the Wago connectors. Yesterday morning we hooked up for our trip to Savannah. As per our routine, I operated the lights from the truck while my bride ascertained they were working. Imagine my surprise when the brake and turn signals all worked. We stopped for a bathroom break 200 miles away, and they were still working. I must be an electrical wizard, NOT!!!!
Old 03-30-2023, 06:55 AM   #14

probably cleared the fault in the JaySmart light contoller...is my guess. You may have had a temporary short some where....or the controller just had a glitch.

Enjoy your camping trip!!!

B&W hitch
Old 03-30-2023, 07:11 AM   #15

Lol, hope that was all. Will update on the way home. Thanks
Old 04-02-2023, 06:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Thanks, I think you are correct. I may try to fiddle with them some after we arrive at Creekfire Rv resort in Savannah tomorrow. Will be there for 12 days.
Jetlag SenoiaDave will be at CreekFire this week. Stop by site 47 and say hi
SenoiaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 08:30 AM   #17

Great, we will. We are at spot #89 near the lake
Old 04-03-2023, 04:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
While driving the camper to get it worked on, my wife was following and noticed the brake/turn lights were not working. The tail lights are working fine. A call to the dealer said it might be the truck and not the lights. he mentioned checking fuses under the hood, however, the repair place connected their truck with the same results. They were very busy and were doing some repairs for us ahead of our upcoming trip, and didn't have time to trouble shoot. None of the right side brake/turn signals work, including the small orange light on the side of camper that I was not aware also provides turn signal. I am leaning towards a fault with the wiring somewhere?
I carry a can of electronic spray that I have had to use on occasion that usually fixed my problem right away!
Weatherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 04:47 AM   #19

Good to know, thanks
Old 04-05-2023, 04:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenoiaDave View Post
Jetlag SenoiaDave will be at CreekFire this week. Stop by site 47 and say hi

Our new friends from this site. How about that? Their camper is parked just across from the swimming pool, very convenient. We both have airline work background as well.Click image for larger version

Name:	20230404_112154[1].jpg
Views:	5
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	87222