Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #1

Brakes

Has anyone modified their brakes for better braking capability?
joggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joggerman View Post
Has anyone modified their brakes for better braking capability?
A number of threads, some recent, regarding owners converting their electric drum brakes to electric over hydraulic disc brakes. Not a cheap endeavor, but reportedly significantly better braking.

Also a number of folks have seen their inner wheel bearing seals leak and greasing their brake shoes. Easy to see how that would decrease braking effectiveness!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
A number of threads, some recent, regarding owners converting their electric drum brakes to electric over hydraulic disc brakes. Not a cheap endeavor, but reportedly significantly better braking.

Also a number of folks have seen their inner wheel bearing seals leak and greasing their brake shoes. Easy to see how that would decrease braking effectiveness!
Thank you so much for your input! I am wondering, when the dexter axles are greased, if using too much grease could force out the rear inner bearing seal, thus causing grease to get on the brake shoes. An interesting thought…I just had my dexter axles greased, when I put on new tires. Hopefully, they didn’t add too much grease . I haven’t driven it anywhere yet. :-)
Old 04-25-2018, 01:48 PM   #4

My 2017 Eagle 293RKDS has very poor braking. Dealer found no grease on the shoes nor the magnets. They said it's a common complaint on Lippert brakes. They recommend replacing my 6k Lippert brakes with Dexter's 7k brakes. But the tech highly recommend going disc brakes. My trailer is 12k ready to go. My P3 is on full gain and full boost. Nearly any braking at all except low speeds.
So I'm pondering the Dexter 7K brakes or just going disc. The 7K brakes are only 300 bucks. Disc doing it myself is 1600ish. I'm sure the Dexter 7K would be an improvement but will it be enough?
My other previous 5th wheel was 10k ready to go and had 6k axles as well and it had great brakes. Like gain on 6 brakes.
If I go disc I will get Kodiak brakes and Hydrastar actuator.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #5

This is great info! Thank you so much for sharing. If you can do the disc brakes on your own, that's what I would do. Unfortunately, I don't know how, so, it's not a viable option for me.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:19 PM   #6

We pulled our 2018 Eagle HT 28.5RSTS to Texas this winter and on the way home I could tell the brakes weren't working very well. I pulled the rear axle drums off today and there is grease all over everything. Tomorrow I am going to look at the front axle. Sure wish I had disc brakes!
DNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:32 PM   #7

Thank you so much for your reply, I am wondering, do you have Dexter axle‘s? When greasing a dexter axle, typically you pump a considerable amount of grease into verk on each wheel end. Assuming of course, the rear bearing seal doesn’t give way, you should be fine, however there is a risk of seal damage and grease and the drums.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNelson View Post
We pulled our 2018 Eagle HT 28.5RSTS to Texas this winter and on the way home I could tell the brakes weren't working very well. I pulled the rear axle drums off today and there is grease all over everything. Tomorrow I am going to look at the front axle. Sure wish I had disc brakes!
Nelson.. I wouldn’t even touch your front axel now. Take your rig right to the dealer and get the brakes replaced under warranty. Don’t take anything less then all new. Drums included.
They will probably say you over heated them and blew the seals...don’t let that happen.
Many of us here have had the brakes replaced because of the grease. Some guys have just got new pads...no way I would have let them replace just the pads. ALL PARTS!
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Nelson.. I wouldn’t even touch your front axel now. Take your rig right to the dealer and get the brakes replaced under warranty. Don’t take anything less then all new. Drums included.
They will probably say you over heated them and blew the seals...don’t let that happen.
Many of us here have had the brakes replaced because of the grease. Some guys have just got new pads...no way I would have let them replace just the pads. ALL PARTS!
Good info… Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-01-2018, 09:30 AM   #10

klassic, I probably should have gone to the dealer for the fix but I took the easy way out and bought the assembled backing plate with new hardware and shoes locally. I bought Dexter because I have faith in them and they were only $51 each. So with new seals it cost me about $260 but I didn't have to tow it to the dealer, let is sit for who knows how long their backlog is this time of year, run the risk of some clown backing into it, having Lippert made brakes put back in, and on top all that possibly having to argue with Jayco about them over who pays. Besides I think it is pretty likely in my 56 years of owning and racing vehicles I have done more brake jobs than their mechanics.

Feeling okay with my decision.
DNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNelson View Post
klassic, I probably should have gone to the dealer for the fix but I took the easy way out and bought the assembled backing plate with new hardware and shoes locally. I bought Dexter because I have faith in them and they were only $51 each. So with new seals it cost me about $260 but I didn't have to tow it to the dealer, let is sit for who knows how long their backlog is this time of year, run the risk of some clown backing into it, having Lippert made brakes put back in, and on top all that possibly having to argue with Jayco about them over who pays. Besides I think it is pretty likely in my 56 years of owning and racing vehicles I have done more brake jobs than their mechanics.

Feeling okay with my decision.
That is a good decision. Mine sat for 4 weeks waiting for the brakes. Then 2 more because they sent all rights and no lefts

When Rock had his Pinnacle in to get his melted rim warrantied, they ran into his cap..I think that was a 2 month process. It was quite a story.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:27 PM   #12

Over two months for brakes, insurance claim on cap (but dealer paid insurance back so no cost) than two more months getting decals and paint. One cluster after another getting decals. It took so long figuring out who would pay for complete brakes and one rim and tire. Service center just did more brake work and seals. When these go I will upgrade to dexter, good seals and non self adjusting brakes
Rock
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #13

Well, I'm glad I had no warranty cause it's not transferable

I figure if you use the zerk to grease and don't have the wheels in the air then order the seals before you start. First time I pumped my bearings I figured 1/2 tube of grease meant blown seal but when I pulled the wheel it was fine and was just the OE bearing pack that left all the grease space.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote