Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2017, 07:56 AM   #1

Brakes again

Last trip one ran hotter than the others but brakes worked pretty good. Sat for over six months on site and just moved three hundred mikes to new site. Trailer pulls to one side. Both left brakes around 160 both right sides 100 and outside temp 90. So now when I get a chance I will cut wires on right brakes after the splices check voltages to see if a slice was bad. Resplice wires and reground. Than June 18 next move see what happens.

Has to be a bad splice or ground. All brakes were replaced once by dealer and we all know how we trust there work. It will be nice once I get my house done not to have to work in campgrounds fixing stuff.
Rock
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #2

It NEVER ends Rock.......always something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #3

Dang it Rock! Sorry to hear that. Hope you get it sorted out

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:36 PM   #4

When this happened to me there was grease on the brakes. Don't know how it made it run hot but it did.
J-M Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:08 PM   #5

I am hoping it is not grease since I had no pull and all brakes showed heating up when I shot them last trip. It has sat for six months so I am gonna go electrical first. If it is grease it is both right wheels. Both left are a little hotter than normal but they r doing the stopping
Rock
Old 06-02-2017, 08:51 PM   #6

I just went through a similar situation - one side was about 20-30 degrees hotter than the other. It appears that the problem was some sticky shoes/magnet arm. They seemed to work fine when towing - just noticeably hotter on one side - 150-160 compared to 120-130. When I lifted that side up and spun it while the DW used the manual slider on the controller I could tell that the shoes were not releasing all the way once the magnet de-energized.

I ended pulling all the brake components off and scrubbing the back plate and all contact spots with brake cleaner and a wire brush. Before re-assembly I applied brake component grease to all contact points. Neither side looked that dirty or appeared to be sticking when I had them off for the wheel bearing maintenance a couple weeks earlier. Once I pulled all the brake components off though I could see a build-up on some of the contact points that was causing the stickiness. I did both sides and now have even temps on both - 120-130 for the outer drum with the bearing hub around 110-15.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:28 AM   #7

Tks for the info. If my voltages are good I will jack and check. As cool as the right side were they appear to be doing nothing.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Old 06-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #8

So today I cut the brake wires at last splice at brakes and checked voltage and amps on all four. Than cut off the factory splices and dealer splices when brakes were replaced
Respliced with heat shrink connectors that have the added anticorrosion stuff. Rechecked all amp and voltage connections and no change. So my splices were good but now have one on each instead of several.

Jacked each wheel and every wheel spins smoothly with no drag or noise. Had DW apply the Manuel lever on my controller while spinning wheels and each one locks instantly and u cannot move them.

So having numerous non self adjusting brakes u always adjust to a slight drag. I cannot figure out how to manually adjust the lippert self adjusting brake assy
I removed both plugs and the star wheel is covered by the metal adjuster bar that moves the star wheel when braking. U can spin the wheel apply brake and see the metal bar lift up on the star wheel. When it is lifted I can get the brake adjust tool and screwdriver but cannot move the star wheel. All four are the same way.

Now I am baffled. Was going to pull one drum off to see what the heck is going on but the rain came and I am at a site.
Any ideas how to turn star wheel on this system. Even old car self adjusting drums u just pushed a screwdriver in one hole to move the adjuster over and used the brake tool in the other to adjust.

Rock
Old 06-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #9

Rock,

Maybe: https://youtu.be/ih1pLKHELIs

or: Lippert Components the leading OEM and Aftermarket RV Parts and Accessory Supplier

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #10

Murff
That was for non self adj brakes. I did find a video on how to move the metal bar out of the way. I will have to make a special bent tool to go thru the other hole and clear the axle to move the metal adj bar. I do not want to chance bending it by just forcing it up with just the normal adj tool.

I had a brain freeze yesterday when I had the DW apply brakes and tried to adjust. That let me turn the wheel slightly moving the magnet that than moved the adj bar out of the way but stupid me the shoes were touching and that is why I could not turn star wheel.

I can now only assume that the LCI self adj brakes leave a bunch of clearance and only adjust when gap is big enough. That must be why all four spin freely with no drag or any noise.

At least I know all wiring, voltage and amps are good. Still cannot explain why the left two are hotter than right side. Guess once I move into house I will be pulling drums to see if grease is on the shoes. At least I know there is no drag causing them to heat up.
Rock
Old 06-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #11

Well, I finally got tired of the poor braking on our unit and have pulled the trigger on a disc brake conversion. Supposed to be installed next Tuesday by a traveling installer from Performance Breaking. Install will be done right here in our driveway. I'm tired of having my stomach in my throat when I need to make an "emergency" stop due to some other idiot on the road doing something stupid in front of me. A big chunk of $$ but safety doesn't have a price.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #12

I finally got to tow my trailer last weekend. The brakes are finally "broken in" I think. I had my controller on 8 and it seemed to stop ok. They don't seem to work well at the onset but after some time in stop and go, they seem to have better stopping power. I'm still pondering the disc brake conversion.

Fingerlakes, if you don't mind sharing, what does the installer charge for the work and is he supplying the parts or did you get them from etrailer?

Old 06-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #13

$2750.00 installed, they supply the parts. They have guys on the road in various areas of the country doing installs. Check out Performance Breaking and on their web site they have a list of where they will be around the country doing installs. They are using Titan Brakes for my install.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #14

Thanks Fingerlakes. I'll look into them.