Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2020, 07:09 AM   #1

Braking

I will run out of questions at some point so please be patient with me. I was wondering what setting others are using on their brake controllers. I know there may be a difference between brands but I've been playing with mine on my Ford. Right now I'm at 9.5 and actually feel like I could use a little more braking from the Pinnacle. I haven't tried the max setting of 10 on my truck yet but I think I will next time we hook up. It just seems it takes a lot of input from the controller to make the brakes function as I feel they should. Our previous fifth wheel had disc brakes and 7.5 was as high as could go or the brakes would lock up.

I will say the stopping, even a panic stop I've already had to do, is pretty smooth for standard brakes.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:19 AM   #2

It may be that you need to adjust the brakes on the trailer.
If your controller is signalling nearly "full on", to little effect, the issue probably lies with the trailer.
Are they self adjusting?
How long since they were inspected?

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
I will run out of questions at some point so please be patient with me. I was wondering what setting others are using on their brake controllers. I know there may be a difference between brands but I've been playing with mine on my Ford. Right now I'm at 9.5 and actually feel like I could use a little more braking from the Pinnacle. I haven't tried the max setting of 10 on my truck yet but I think I will next time we hook up. It just seems it takes a lot of input from the controller to make the brakes function as I feel they should. Our previous fifth wheel had disc brakes and 7.5 was as high as could go or the brakes would lock up.

I will say the stopping, even a panic stop I've already had to do, is pretty smooth for standard brakes.

So your signature says 2020 Pinnacle so being brand new, I’m gonna guess the camper brakes either 1) Haven’t been broken in OR 2) they need to be adjusted at the brakes EVEN if they’re self-adjusting! OR 3) possibly both of the above.
4) Your signature also states 2020 F350, have you read the manual on the use of the Trucks brake controller? No disrespect just wanna make sure nothing is being assumed and therefore overlooked. 5) Crawl under the camper and just check the wiring just to make sure nothing got damaged during transport or towing...

If you have to lift your camper to adjust the brakes, lift from the frame NOT the axle. Etrailer has good videos on setting up the brakes. After the brakes have been set up at the hubs take the camper out for a drive a break them in properly.
Good luck.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:51 AM   #4

We've just had the Pinnacle for 3 weeks. The brakes are the self adjusting Dexter. I did change the controller over to electric brakes from the hydraulic we had on our previous fifth wheel. I had to do a panic stop on our first trip with it when a guy in front of me decided to make a quick left turn without signaling. I was going 45 mph and thought I was going to hit him but it shut down with room to spare. So, I do get pretty good braking but I was just wanting to know if having to use basically full power from the controller is normal.

Just as a qualifier, this is fifth wheel number 6 for us thru the years and truck number whatever.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:12 AM   #5

On my RAM I set it at 8.5 which is a little higher than I needed for my North Point. Manually set the brakes with the controller, put your TV in gear............the trailer should not move.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #6

The Dexter manual will tell you to drive on a hard dry surface at 20 mph and perform some hard stops. They advise adjusting the gain such that the brakes are just short of locking the tires and skidding. Our gain is at 9 and its not enough so I know something else is going on.

We have driven on gravel roads inside the CG at 10 mph and pinched the brake controller full-on and it would stop the whole rig in 10 ft without touching the truck brakes, but not lock the trailer wheels. So I am sure that they are not adjusted properly at the drums.

In two weeks we drop off the rig at Vogt RV in Ft Worth for 2 weeks of sidewall crack repair. We have only 3k miles on the trailer, but I'm gonna ask them to check and adjust the brakes and check the bearing grease as well, since I do not trust that the factory or original dealer will have done so properly. I'll try to be around when they do so in order to get some tips from a reputable shop. We have been driving on mostly flatland in the southeast but are heading for some mountains after TX and I want it right! Then going forward I'll know how to better maintain them.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:18 PM   #7

I found this article about switching to self-adjusting brakes that give a clear explanation of how to "break in" brake linings. Near the end. I pumped in to much grease so am swapping mine out to these next week..
https://www.trailerlife.com/rv-gear/...ing-rv-brakes/
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:34 PM   #8

Look in your owners manual I know on my 2016 f250 you can set the strength of the trailer brakes thru the info cluster to different settings low medium or high I believe.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
Look in your owners manual I know on my 2016 f250 you can set the strength of the trailer brakes thru the info cluster to different settings low medium or high I believe.
You are right, that is an option. I had forgotten about it. I had it set on medium and changed it to high. I will be a few weeks before I tow it again but will see how it goes. I hope it will give me enough juice to dial back the gain and allow for a better adjustment.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #10

If all else fails, pull the drums and check for grease on the shoes. Some have found an over abundance of grease has blown out the grease seals. (ME)!

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #11

If you got a Pinnacle, it's a heavy trailer. Just like my Northpoint. Do yourself a favor and throw those 1932 technology junk drum brakes in the recycle bin and upgrade to electric/hydraulic disc brakes and dont look back. I had my controller set to kill mode and it still wasn't enough to stop it. Panic situtation, you better have an out because you ain't stopping it. I joined the disc brake club and my controller is down to 6.5 now. Worth every dime.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
If you got a Pinnacle, it's a heavy trailer. Just like my Northpoint. Do yourself a favor and throw those 1932 technology junk drum brakes in the recycle bin and upgrade to electric/hydraulic disc brakes and dont look back. I had my controller set to kill mode and it still wasn't enough to stop it. Panic situtation, you better have an out because you ain't stopping it. I joined the disc brake club and my controller is down to 6.5 now. Worth every dime.
What did you use for the conversion? By that I mean Kodiak, Dexter, or whatever is out there. Did you do it yourself? I had discs on our previous fifth wheel and there is a difference.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:28 AM   #13

I bought my kit from Bill at stopyourtrailer.com. I got mine in the middle of a company merger or something like that because I got 2 titan rotors and 2 kodiak rotors. We got it all squared away and I got the Kodiak ones. Imo, they are the better ones to have.
I did the install myself and did some "customizing" to it.
Here's a link to the thread I did on it.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...mod-73495.html
Old 07-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #14

I have a Pinnacle also and it never really seemed to be enough braking with the drum set up. Also on my drum set up they did not adjust on there own and I had to keep adjusting. After following several members on the forum I also did the disc brake conversion and love it. I purchased mine from performance trailer braking and was happy with the kit. I run my brake controller on 7 and its a day and night difference
2020 F-450 Lariat 6.7l CCLB DRW
rkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #15

2015 RAM 1500 - 6-7 setting

I originally felt my slide adjuster wasn't doing much either until I let the rig roll, then applied the adjusted the brake controller until we stopped. Ended up stopping on a relatively flat surface at 6 controller setting.
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #16

I run mine at 6.5 with my 2019 Chevy dully diesel. 2019 Pinnicle 36SSWS and they work great.
pawags45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:35 PM   #17

My north point 377 brakes work pretty good my issue is its inconsistency. At 1 point it works great, the next time it's like my foot is on the floor to stop it. I've got my 2017 gmc set st 5.5 to 6 depending on stop and go city driving or out on the open road. I've argued with my dealer about it and have had my hub and axle maintenance done and they always say it all looks good under there. One said it could be weaker batteries too. But mine are pretty new. They also said because I have the residential fridge that when it's running its pulling battery power and the proper voltage (or amperage) may be low to the brake system? I dont know. All I know is it's not always bad and not always good. Lol.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:31 AM   #18

My trailer (5k-LV hybrid) originally needed 9.0 of gain from the built-in Ford Expedition controller until the brakes got broken in. Now I have it set to 5.0 on the gain and that works well. Took about 500 miles or so.
Fourkids&abeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:22 AM   #19

F350guy. just keep adjusting and learn from it.

bottomline though is to get disc brakes if you feel like you need more stopping power.
mboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
My north point 377 brakes work pretty good my issue is its inconsistency. At 1 point it works great, the next time it's like my foot is on the floor to stop it. I've got my 2017 gmc set st 5.5 to 6 depending on stop and go city driving or out on the open road. I've argued with my dealer about it and have had my hub and axle maintenance done and they always say it all looks good under there. One said it could be weaker batteries too. But mine are pretty new. They also said because I have the residential fridge that when it's running its pulling battery power and the proper voltage (or amperage) may be low to the brake system? I dont know. All I know is it's not always bad and not always good. Lol.

That’s interesting. I find myself chasing mine a little. Also a GM and also the res fridge. I’m usually 6.5 or 6. Sometimes at 6.5 it feels grabby at slow speed so I drop down to 6. There’s been a few times where I questioned if it was working or not and once stopped, I’d hold the trailer brake and see if the truck could idle away. Always holds it. Maybe it is the fridge.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote