Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #1

Brand new 2020 Pinnacle 36SSWS - many issues

Hi! We are fairly new to fifth wheeling. Started in 2016 with an Eagle 27.5 rlts. Being from Upstate NY, the season isn't that long and we aren't retired yet so only 3 or 4 trips per season. We never had an issue with that fifth wheel. We really enjoy camping so now that we are in NC and the season is longer, we purchased a 2020 Pinnacle 36SSWS but we are having some issues right from the start.

When we returned from picking up our rig in VA (a 2 hour drive), we left it parked for a few days before we had the chance to open it up to play with our new toy before planning our first trip. Well, we couldn't open it up because the batteries had died. Strange because we had not only turned off the batteries, we removed the key. We plugged it into our truck to charge the batteries and then we were able to check out our toy.

Our first trip, the main a/c wasn't blowing cool. On another forum, they suggested that maybe that unit froze up. The bedroom a/c cooled off the unit so not a big deal. Just returned from our second trip. Still no cool air from the main unit. Also on the first trip, the flo-jet system wasn't working. We finally found the pump switch (under the bottom drawer of the island). Turned valve under sink. Pressed switch on wall. Bottle in basement hooked up correctly. Nothing...sigh. No water coming from the refrigerator or ice maker either.

Upon returning from our second trip, we noticed that the Cable TV/Satellite input red light in the convenience center remained on even after battery key removed. We went tonight to see if that light went out. It did. Batteries at 0%! We plugged the rig into our truck to get it some juice because I needed to pick up something I'd left behind in the bedroom and needed the slide open. Guess what?? It will not retract Everything else works. Other slides, awnings. Just this slide will not retract.

Another issue was pointed out to us by our neighbor the next site over on our last trip. Our 2016 had its own cable and hose connection panel. This 2020 pinnacle has the connections in the "convenience center". We attached the cable and hose and just lowered the hatch door. (remember, newbies here..lol) Our neighbor saw this and said that there should be a cut out where the hose and cable can pass through the housing and then the hatch can close and lock properly. I guess they just forgot to install that.

Our local dealer cannot get us in until the end of October. I am going to call Jayco in the morning to tell them about the slide out not retracting. Would like to get some more trips in before the season ends and maybe they can get us in somewhere else sooner.

Also, with our 1st Jayco, we were given 1 year free of CoachNet. Our new dealer did not mention this but I see on the website that we should have this 1 year free.

I still consider us Newbies so maybe we are missing something. Any and all info, hints, tricks would be greatly appreciated. We are extremely frustrated.

Thank you!
teegee1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:20 PM   #2

I measured a 1 amp draw with the battery switch in off position. It's a common problem. I disconnect at the battery.

With the slide, once you have power, try the touch panel inside as well as the app on your phone. One may work when the other doesn't.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:53 PM   #3
Site Team

My first thought is the battery wasn't 100% fully charged when you picked it up from the dealer. You got a surface charge from the truck, but the small gauge wire isn't big enough to really bring it to fully charged, and the parasitic draw is draining it down quickly. That may be part of the problem.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:45 AM   #4

I’ve got an Eagle, but same stuff. My battery disconnect is more of load reducer. Ok for a night or two, but for any longer I have to disconnect the negative cable on my batteries. My dealer recently reattached my negative cable while in the shop and after a couple weeks they were at 50% with the disconnect key in the off position.

The truck is a bad way to charge the battery in my experience. Very very slow. Trying to run the slide on a marginal battery is a bad idea too. Lots of draw there. If one of the big slides it probably gave up due to too little juice.

One last thing, how many batteries do you have? Should be 2 at least.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
I’ve got an Eagle, but same stuff. My battery disconnect is more of load reducer. Ok for a night or two, but for any longer I have to disconnect the negative cable on my batteries. My dealer recently reattached my negative cable while in the shop and after a couple weeks they were at 50% with the disconnect key in the off position.

The truck is a bad way to charge the battery in my experience. Very very slow. Trying to run the slide on a marginal battery is a bad idea too. Lots of draw there. If one of the big slides it probably gave up due to too little juice.

One last thing, how many batteries do you have? Should be 2 at least.

Hi TxLoser - We do have 2 batteries. We only used the truck to charge the battery enough so there would be juice to lift. This instance, I had forgotten something important and needed to get to the bedroom so we had to juice the battery a bit to get the slide open. The camper is stored in a dry storage lot without electric hookup. Thanks for the tip on disconnecting the negative cables. Jayco is taking their sweet time "researching" my issue.

I've done some research and have found that maybe the bedroom door moved a bit during our trip home and possibly came away from a safety sensor. Will head back this evening to check it out this way we can at least get that slide in. Fingers crossed!!!
Old 09-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #6

Best of luck. Frustrating when our new toys give us issue, but really we’re all lucky to have such problems. I went down this road with various issues when I brought mine home. We came from an HT and issues were minimal. This one has been a bit more challenging.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmart View Post
I measured a 1 amp draw with the battery switch in off position. It's a common problem. I disconnect at the battery.

With the slide, once you have power, try the touch panel inside as well as the app on your phone. One may work when the other doesn't.

If you have a set of jumper cables, pop the hood on the truck, connect to the trailer battery and with the engine running you'll have good power to run the slides. I'd recommend bringing the trailer battery home when your done and put it on a charger. Each time the battery gets drained, it's loosing life.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:46 PM   #8

I hook my batteries to a solar panel that keep my batteries up and it is a life saver.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegee1025 View Post
Iv'e done some research and have found that maybe the bedroom door moved a bit during our trip home and possibly came away from a safety sensor. Will head back this evening to check it out this way we can at least get that slide in. Fingers crossed!!!

We have been locked out of our BR and bath twice due to the door jumping out of the lock-out switch in transit. We finally just shorted the two wires going to the switch together. No more problems. Good design concept but bad execution.

We had the same problem with batteries bfeore moving in full time. The only reliable disconnect switch, I find, is a 7/16" wrench. I know it's a PIA, but I would bring the batts home and keep them on a tender.

As others have mentioned, try to avoid running slides and jacks unless plugged in to shore power. On travel days, the first thing on arrival is power plug in (after checking the pedestal with your EMS) and on departure it's the last thing to be stowed.

Don't worry; it gets better! We are full time in our 36SSWS and love it. It makes a great home.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
We have been locked out of our BR and bath twice due to the door jumping out of the lock-out switch in transit. We finally just shorted the two wires going to the switch together. No more problems. Good design concept but bad execution.

We had the same problem with batteries bfeore moving in full time. The only reliable disconnect switch, I find, is a 7/16" wrench. I know it's a PIA, but I would bring the batts home and keep them on a tender.

As others have mentioned, try to avoid running slides and jacks unless plugged in to shore power. On travel days, the first thing on arrival is power plug in (after checking the pedestal with your EMS) and on departure it's the last thing to be stowed.

Don't worry; it gets better! We are full time in our 36SSWS and love it. It makes a great home.

Angus
Found out the trick about the bedroom door jumping off of the lock-out switch from another forum. You'd think the dealer would've mentioned that in the 2 hour walk through!! We have not shorted the wires yet but at least we got the slide in!!! Thank you!

Yes, removing the batteries will be a PIA but it may be our only solution. May I ask a somewhat silly question?? Does your battery compartment have a lock on it?? Ours does not. We find that strange as our 2016 Eagle HT 27.5 RTLS had a lock and this Pinnacle does not.

Thank you!

Gina
Old 09-05-2020, 08:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
I hook my batteries to a solar panel that keep my batteries up and it is a life saver.

We are going to look into that.

Thank you,

Gina
Old 09-05-2020, 09:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegee1025 View Post
Found out the trick about the bedroom door jumping off of the lock-out switch from another forum. You'd think the dealer would've mentioned that in the 2 hour walk through!! We have not shorted the wires yet but at least we got the slide in!!! Thank you!

Yes, removing the batteries will be a PIA but it may be our only solution. May I ask a somewhat silly question?? Does your battery compartment have a lock on it?? Ours does not. We find that strange as our 2016 Eagle HT 27.5 RTLS had a lock and this Pinnacle does not.

Thank you!

Gina
Hi Gina
I get the feeling that the 36SSWS is not as common as other models and that whole bedroom door thing is lost on some dealers. The guy who did our walk through was good but had no idea about it. Even the first time I called Jayco about it, the tech rep claimed that there was no service bulletin on the issue (there is).

I’m pretty sure that the reason there is no lock on the front bay door is because it is intended for a generator as well, and like propane lockers, it has to have unfettered access for first responders in the event of a fire so that they can access shutoff valves, etc. If that’s not the reason then at least it sounds good.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #13

I believe that there is a second water valve to the fridge under the range behind the storage drawer. Not visible on ours. Had reach in and feel for it.
Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:26 PM   #14

Welcome to Thor!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #15

You might look into installing a Marine battery isolation cutoff switch. It disconnects the batteries or combines them if one is low.
32Pinnical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #16

Battery Switch Disconnect

Attached is the switch setup I created for my rig. 2021 Pinnacle.

I have 3 batteries. One switch for each battery, these are the 3 red switches in a row. 1 Switch for the whole coach, this is the red switch by it self. 2 Inverters each with its own switch, these are the 2 black switches. The whole setup is mounted to a plastic panel. For easy install and service.

When I dry camp. I will leave one battery switch off over night and rotate which switch is off nightly. Just in case I kill the battery through heavy inverter usage.

Mounted the batteries on a slide. Wrapped the slide battery cables with hydraulic line wrap. This helps them move in and out with the slide.

The plywood box is an exact replica of the Pinnacle battery compartment. Fabricated the setup off line.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery 1.jpg   Battery 2.jpg   Battery 3.jpg   Battery 4.jpg  
RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:27 PM   #17

Hi Gina,

We have a 2019 Pinnacle (don't even get me started), but regarding the battery cut off switch, we had the same issue and were also frustrated. I installed a "knife" switch on the batteries and haven't had a problem since. It's easier than disconnecting the cables and a sure way to stop the drain.
tfoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:22 PM   #18

i all so have a 2020 36ssws and if the bedroom door is not open and locked in the switch this slide does not retract so make sure the door is all the way open and engages the switch
DSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:30 PM   #19

I have the small solar panel solution but ordered this. Good quick remedy as tfoliver mentioned.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:09 PM   #20

You are correct on the genny prep no lock on the front compartment.
I asked when we got ours what's up with no lock there, and the dealer told me that too.
You can order locks to match your key code from Bauer directly, they offer them in different door thicknesses.
Chris
Past Travel Trailers:2003 Flagstaff 25LB, 1993 Terry 35V, 1982 Serro Scotty 18', 1976 Dutch Craft 25', 1972 Banner 18'
Bar-OneRanch is offline   Reply With Quote