Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #1

Brand new 5th wheel purchase questions.

OK so here goes the rollercoaster ride. Mother and I have sold the home and will be full timing within a month. We have decided to purchase a brand new Jayco Pinnacle 36kpts. I will place the order soon after we close on the house so I am trying to get prepared. We are volunteering close by and will have no "rent". We plan on staying there for 7 to 8 years and then will fully retire and start our travels. So here are my questions.
1) When I purchase the 5th wheel it will be from an out of state dealer. I will pay that RV dealer and have the trailer shipped to me and put on my "spot" After delivery I do not have any plans to move it for the 7 to 8 years. I know I pay sales tax to them based on there state rate. When I get it to Nevada the sales tax rate is different. Who do I pay the difference to?

2)I was looking into DMV registration charges. To register it in Nevada they have all these crazy charges. I think it is based on the MSRP not what I actually pay for it. This is Just an estimate:

Basic Registration Fee
$27
Governmental Services Tax
$1225
Supplemental Gov. Services Tax
$306
Motor Safety Fee
n/a
Technology Fee
$1
Total Estimated Registration Fees
$1559

Is this something I have to pay each year just for plates?

3) What if I move it to my spot, Pay the dept. of taxation the difference in sales tax and do not register it till I am ready to travel?

Seems like an awful lot of money for a trailer that will sit on private property.

I will continue to work till retirement so I cant really change my home state?

Ideas and thoughts?

Steve
priv8pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #2

If all that money is just to register it and your not going to move it I would wait until your going to have to travel with it. You may even want a new trailer at that point. I would research which state would be best for you taxes, registration , fees,no state MV inspection, insurance costs ,etc when the time comes and make that state your "home" state.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by priv8pilot View Post
OK so here goes the rollercoaster ride. Mother and I have sold the home and will be full timing within a month. We have decided to purchase a brand new Jayco Pinnacle 36kpts. I will place the order soon after we close on the house so I am trying to get prepared. We are volunteering close by and will have no "rent". We plan on staying there for 7 to 8 years and then will fully retire and start our travels. So here are my questions.
1) When I purchase the 5th wheel it will be from an out of state dealer. I will pay that RV dealer and have the trailer shipped to me and put on my "spot" After delivery I do not have any plans to move it for the 7 to 8 years. I know I pay sales tax to them based on there state rate. When I get it to Nevada the sales tax rate is different. Who do I pay the difference to?

2)I was looking into DMV registration charges. To register it in Nevada they have all these crazy charges. I think it is based on the MSRP not what I actually pay for it. This is Just an estimate:

Basic Registration Fee
$27
Governmental Services Tax
$1225
Supplemental Gov. Services Tax
$306
Motor Safety Fee
n/a
Technology Fee
$1
Total Estimated Registration Fees
$1559

Is this something I have to pay each year just for plates?

3) What if I move it to my spot, Pay the dept. of taxation the difference in sales tax and do not register it till I am ready to travel?

Seems like an awful lot of money for a trailer that will sit on private property.

I will continue to work till retirement so I cant really change my home state?

Ideas and thoughts?

Steve
First off, Congrats on the new unit! Those are pretty nice!!
Second, the sales tax they "should" collect the amount from the state you are going to have it registered in and give you an affidavit that says they collected it. It should also show on your sales paperwork.
Third, the registration, I'd tell them to suck bricks on all those charges. You should only have to pay the title fee, which may or may not be collected from your selling dealer. One of my previous 5th wheel purchases was from out of state and they hosed me in that. I had to pay their state title fees and then get it re titled in my state. As far as registration goes, I wouldn't get a Nevada registration/plate for it. The delivering dealer is going to use a temp plate that's good for like 15 days. Once it's on your lot, why should you have to pay for a license plate? It's like you purchasing a vehicle that you are going to restore. It has to be titled in your name and sales tax paid on it, but if it is going to take you a few years to restore it so you can drive it, you don't need a plate on it.
Here in Michigan, we have snowbirds that live in their coaches and have them on a summer site up here and then take them to Florida for the winter. A temporary plate is all they use.
You are going to be retired and on a limited income, why give the local, state, or federal government more money than you have to. Don't give it to your kids either! Have fun with it, you earned it! Lol!!!!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:17 AM   #4

check out rv direct. they have a dealership in Las Vegas. buy online and have it delivered to your local dealer. usually 40% off list or more.
nynethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:46 PM   #5

Not sure about 'mail order' trailers.

When we bought our truck in SC we were residents of TX. The loan company required the dealer to register/title/ pay all fees to the TX county/DMV. The fees were all listed on the purchase documents. The dealer figured all the costs. All I did was wait for TX to send me the license plates and registration. TX county sent the title to the lien holder.

I suspect the dealer will be required to do the same for Nevada. A call to the dealer should clear it up.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote