Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2018, 08:36 PM   #1

Brand new Jayco Eagle and one leg of power doesn’t work

Hello,

This is my first post here as I’ve only had my camper for 2 days. After the first night of having the camper the lights and furnace cut out. I saw on my inverter panel that the batteries weren’t being charged. After calling my dealers service center the tech was able to trouble shoot with me and we determined a whole leg of power of was down on the 50 AMP service. That leg of course had the power converter and the fireplace. So we had no lights and no heat. I was able to run the furnace here and there by hooking up to my trucks 7 pin. The campsites power is showing okay according to my surge protector and the breaker test okay.

After all this we thought it could be the power cord. The local Jayco dealer and mine communicated and they gave me a new power cord. That did not solve the problem. Has anyone else ever had such an issue?

In addition to the leg of power being out the right rear leveling jack will not deploy under it’s own power. Everything checked out fine during the walk through.
Goat1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #2

Welcome from Georgia. I would start with main breaker box and look for loose connection. Mine came from factory with one neutral that had not been tighten at all and one loose ground.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:09 PM   #3

Thanks Cannon. I checked them all and had a second person recheck. I thought maybe they could have loosened during transport but it doesn’t seem to be the case.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:21 PM   #4

Do you have gen prep. could be bad connection at transfer switch or main shore power plug. Would need to remove basement wall and use voltmeter to find where you are losing power at. Sorry not a good way to start trip with new rv.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #5

I don’t but on the bright side I was putting her in Tuesday for a washer/dryer anyway. At least we have accomadtions during that time.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:44 PM   #6

I had a similar problem receptacle on the side of your camper we’re you plug your power cord into the screws inside we’re loose and only one side of the plug was making contact It burnet one leg completely off I had to replace the plug and cord
CampingIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:55 PM   #7

Also check the compression nut on the back side of the receptacle it was also loose, I made the repairs while on a camping trip my dealer reimbursed me Jayco reimbursed them
CampingIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:14 PM   #8

Thanks. I replaced the whole receptacle because it looked like the ground was melted some. No luck 🤷🏻*♂️
Old 12-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #9

Did you check your voltage at the main breaker in your trailer ? With a volt meter? The only way to troubleshoot this effectively is with a volt meter at all connections. That will tell you where your problem is. Start at the power source and work your way to the trailer.
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #10

Silverado is right, you need a voltmeter to see where you are losing your power. Not sure what kind of camper you have but usually power comes into camper and goes strait to converter or a transfer switch and then converter.
Good image of how to check eclectic
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:11 PM   #11

Thanks. I don’t have a voltage meter handy but it’s on the list now. We have to
Out it into a Jayco dealer Monday anyway so they can deal with it.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:32 PM   #12

I’m subscribing to hear what the problem was.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:35 PM   #13

Well diagnosed and repaired. A slide out cut the power supply wire. I don’t know if it was routed wrong during construction or a wire came loose from a bracket during tow. The process was expedited after working my way up the chain at Jayco. Pleased with the response.

Tags
50amp, electrical issues, leveling jacks, power center, power converter