Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #1

Broken cord day night shade

Had a day-nite shade cord break, have been working with Jayco for 4 1/2 weeks still have the bed sheet hanging in window. Called and email customer service with out still no blind. Took shade into dealer, they said they would have Jayco send new shade to house. After four weeks called Jayco they said I needed an invoice number from dealer to find out deal on shade, Jayco said vin. number not good enough. Told Jayco to contact dealer to verify shade was defective, that it had been turned in. They would not do it. Neighbors think new fifth wheel 2010 with sheet in main living room window is funny. We do not think the same. Still calling Jayco withs no rusults.
skypilot7103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #2

Broken cord day night shade

Still no shade after 41/2 weeks dealing with dealer and Jayco customer service. Neighbors are thinking that a bedroom sheet on main living room window is standard on Jayco fifth wheels. 2010 RLDS.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #3

Any help on who else to contact would be appreciated.
Ed
Old 01-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #4

I would be looking at a different dealer. It is my understanding that the cord is available at most RV stores.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #5

Does the dealer physically have the shade? You may need to speak with the manager or even the owner of the dealership and start the process all over. When we have issues with warranty stuff, we send pics to our dealer or they take the pics and pass them onto Jayco. As far as I experienced so far, Jayco requires a pic to show damage/concern/etc. Good luck, and let us know how it goes
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #6

Dealer had shade for 4 weeks said they had contacted Jayco to have new shade sent directly to us. Called dealer after 4 weeks they said they would restring the shade I took in and send it to me next day UPS. After three days we called dealer again, they said shade had been sent out the day I had talked to them. We are talking 20 miles away. Shade came on forth day. Put shade on window, service tech. fixed side with broken string instead of restringing shade. The good side did not match so he cut string to same length on good side now shade only covers 3/4 of window. I am not kidding. Called dealer they said to bring shade back and they would restring in 1 1/2 hours. This has to be the Twilight Zone all over one day night shade I really feel sorry for someone with a real problem,, faulty plumbing or heating system or electrical problems. Thanks for the input will let all know how the saga continues. They cut it twice and it was still TOO SHORT!!!!
Ed
Old 01-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot7103 View Post
Dealer had shade for 4 weeks said they had contacted Jayco to have new shade sent directly to us. Called dealer after 4 weeks they said they would restring the shade I took in and send it to me next day UPS. After three days we called dealer again, they said shade had been sent out the day I had talked to them. We are talking 20 miles away. Shade came on forth day. Put shade on window, service tech. fixed side with broken string instead of restringing shade. The good side did not match so he cut string to same length on good side now shade only covers 3/4 of window. I am not kidding. Called dealer they said to bring shade back and they would restring in 1 1/2 hours. This has to be the Twilight Zone all over one day night shade I really feel sorry for someone with a real problem,, faulty plumbing or heating system or electrical problems. Thanks for the input will let all know how the saga continues. They cut it twice and it was still TOO SHORT!!!!
Ed
That is so totally inept on that tech's part! Hard to believe! Hopefully this isn't a sign of what to expect when you need other warranty issues dealt with! Take a pic of the short shade on the window and send to Jayco.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #8

My brother-in-law had a shade problem and bought a new string at an RV supply store. His wife had it restrung in less than an hour and it is like new again.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #9

I would get this fixed by the dealer if you can. For the future it would be in your best interest to learn to re-string. I have re-strung my shades already, (I have a 3 year old son) not a big deal to do, I would not drive 20 miles to get it done. FWIW 50lb test fishing line works great to do this.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #10

Glazier thanks for the great come back as always. The 50lb. line is a great idea. Got the blind back again today will hang it back up in the a.m.. Hopefully it will cover the whole window. Will let all know how it goes. Seems the dealer did not place the order for the new shade on the 9th of Dec. when we first took it in. We did see the price on the invoice $44.00. All this head ache over $44.00.
Ed
Old 01-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #11

Blind is up all is good again!!! No more sheet in the window neighbors are not laughing at the New Jayco anymore!!! Thanks for all the Great Input this is a Great Site for all Jayco Owners, not only for the support but for all the super Idea's
Ed
Old 01-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #12

You are welcome skypilot, glad you are back up and running.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #13

Wife raised blind this morning and cord pulled through back to broken shade. Does anyone know the model of shade we have in Jayco's? I look on you tube and all I see are the shades with a cord on one side. I am going to fix this thing myself. Called dealer and they did not know who made shades for Jayco. Who ever fixed this thing did not secure the cord in the bottom of the one side and it pulled through after three workings. I guess you can not expect things to work forever ha! ha!
Will keep all posted as to blind saga.
Ed
Old 01-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #14

Smile

Contact United Shade located in Elkhart, IN. They are the leaders in production of the Day & Night shades. I utilized their services to re-string a shade three years ago. Very reasonable price and they "may" still offer the service. Just search for United Shade in the internet for Elkhart, IN

In all likelihood, Jayco probably uses their shades.
001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #15

Finally received new shade from Jayco, took old shade down and restrung myself. Sure enough dealer strung shade with out crossing string at bottom rail and added another spring. Had no idea how to string shade correctly. All is well, contacted United Shade and they sent how to guide over email.
Thanks for all the response.
Ed
Old 06-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #16

I have one that just broke the string(less than a year old). Found the string travelling thru holes with sharp edges. One hole out of 4 had a gromment. Will add gromments to other holes and repair myself.
2011 Silverado LTZ 6.2L Max Tow Package
scalemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #17

Day/night shade problems

My husband and I restrung 3 of these in our previous rig. You can now buy the kit with instructions at most RV stores. We downloaded the instructions on the computers. Go to Picasoday/nightshades. Not sure exactly what the url is, (spaces and commas, but you should be able to get there). Good luck, we managed to stay married fixing these!!! Ha! Ha! Judy
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote