Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2022, 08:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
The "Automotive grade" NexGen frame by BAL had multiple issues on my previous fifth wheel. major frame repairs!
Where your issues with the welding or the huck bolts?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:35 AM   #22

Crack at bottom of beam and where the cross brace attached...both sides of the frame. After the repair below I added three MorRyde X factor cross braces to the hangers. Also had hangers crack that need welding.

Repair piece from BAL:

Click For Full-Size Image.

You can see all the stop drills and lower frame crack....I was close to totally failure:

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:46 AM   #23

here is what It looked like when I first found the crack...you can't see the crack in the bottom of the z beam or s beam...I forget what it is called...but it's not a boxed or I beam:

Hanger bracket crack:

B&W hitch
Old 08-07-2022, 09:13 AM   #24

Quote:
here is what It looked like when I first found the crack...you can't see the crack in the bottom of the z beam or s beam...I forget what it is called...but it's not a boxed or I beam:

Hanger bracket crack:

Interesting. I had not heard of Bal frame failures except for some issues regarding bad design as far as trailer sway goes in TT's.
Yeah that looks like weld and other issues.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:21 AM   #25

they had seen this before per the rep...repair patch piece was already designed.

B&W hitch
Old 08-07-2022, 09:46 AM   #26

I've had the frame cracks and had them repaired by Lippert. What I don't understand is why the suspension is so under-engineered.
I look at my truck frame and suspension and it is so much beefier than the trailer that there's no comparison- but the GVWR on the trailer is 1,000# MORE than the truck. It make no sense.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:56 AM   #27

Will the MORryde crossmember kits that are available prevent this? I have a 2018 287BHS that I run close to the max weight and something like this concerns me. We haven't gone farther than our usual campground at 10 miles but I would like to address this if possible.
DUX4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUX4LIFE View Post
Will the MORryde crossmember kits that are available prevent this? I have a 2018 287BHS that I run close to the max weight and something like this concerns me. We haven't gone farther than our usual campground at 10 miles but I would like to address this if possible.
the frame cracks appear to be from fatigue due to the light materials used. I doubt seriously the MoRyde crossmember will prevent these frame failures. It may prolong them a little bit, but not prevent. IMO, these frames are not designed to sustain the weight driven over some of our poorly maintained highways and freeways. Just take a look at the frames on these lighter trailers, and if you ever drill through one you will know they can't sustain the weight for long.. If steel is allowed to 'flex' it will fail. and its that simple.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:20 AM   #29

Just out of interest, whats the CCC (yellow sticker) on these units? Last year at the Hershey show I saw so many Jayco units with 1000-1500 pounds of CCC on them; and these were Pinnacles and some North Points. Just this past weekend I was in a few Whitehawks that had 1200 pounds or less in them. That's really not a lot of weight.

Its not hard to imagine people packing those cabinets and bays up (because why would they give so much space to put things if you can't actually put things in that space?) and ending up overweight.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:46 AM   #30

Here is picture of what it looked like with three installed on my Wildcat. I think it helps prevent the fame from twisting doing a turn. I would put a couple on my Pinnacle, but the angled brace in the hanger bracket prevents the install...as far as I can tell.

B&W hitch
Old 08-09-2022, 09:19 AM   #31

Quote:
Here is picture of what it looked like with three installed on my Wildcat. I think it helps prevent the fame from twisting doing a turn. I would put a couple on my Pinnacle, but the angled brace in the hanger bracket prevents the install...as far as I can tell.

An engineer would argue that the brace multiplies forces to the outside of each side of the frame.. The lighter material on these frames will continue stress cracking with the brace.. A lot of reinforcing would be required with/without the brace. The brace may buy some time, but not prevent stress cracking, in fact it may accelerate cracking to the outside frame walls
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 02:15 PM   #32

Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS Frame Cracked

I have a 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS that I recently pulled to Alaska and back. On my way home, I was in the Yukon when my frame cracked. The frame was so severely cracked I couldn’t pull the unit. I called for roadside assistance which took about 6 hours for them to arrive. With chains and boomers we were able to stabilize the trailer frame so it could be towed. We then proceeded to drive 250 miles to Whitehorse at the breakneck speed of 30 mph.
The frame cracked laterally just above the wheel wells. When the repair was done we placed 3 cross members with angle bracing to prevent further issues. The trailer is more stable and pulls better than new. We pulled it over 4,000 miles home.
I did not contact Lippert or Jayco, just my insurance company. The insurance covered the cost of the repairs and roadside assistance. They did total the 5th wheel when I got back home. I bought it back.
If you have a Jayco Eagle HT put cross members on it now![ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	2E025594-A8E2-4C1A-A7B7-4DBD02B36DFB.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	83418[/ATTACH] ATTACH]83419[/ATTACH
Attached Thumbnails
5EAAF1CA-7116-4420-9F3C-45EEBC426D86.jpg   015CCA79-BEB8-4D0F-ACD1-FE8BF5FE66DF.jpg   2AAE0FE7-4EF9-4B0E-A68D-30097D525DCF.jpg   A89B4F35-02BB-4869-8FBB-AFC95982E8EA.jpg  
The Walker Tribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walker Tribe View Post
I have a 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS that I recently pulled to Alaska and back. On my way home, I was in the Yukon when my frame cracked. The frame was so severely cracked I couldn’t pull the unit. I called for roadside assistance which took about 6 hours for them to arrive. With chains and boomers we were able to stabilize the trailer frame so it could be towed. We then proceeded to drive 250 miles to Whitehorse at the breakneck speed of 30 mph.
The frame cracked laterally just above the wheel wells. When the repair was done we placed 3 cross members with angle bracing to prevent further issues. The trailer is more stable and pulls better than new. We pulled it over 4,000 miles home.
I did not contact Lippert or Jayco, just my insurance company. The insurance covered the cost of the repairs and roadside assistance. They did total the 5th wheel when I got back home. I bought it back.
If you have a Jayco Eagle HT put cross members on it now![ATTACH]Attachment 83418[/ATTACH] ATTACH]83419[/ATTACH
I have the same model and six breaks in the frame. Now talking with Lippert and Jayco about options. My insurance company, Progressive, denied my claim saying damage was from mechanical problems and deterioration. Who was your insurance company and can you give me any advice about how to go back to my insurance company for payment?
Bob of Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 08:00 AM   #34

My insurance is Oklahoma Farm Bureau. When my frame broke I notified my agent in Oklahoma. My agent immediately started on getting a adjuster. I then called a tow company for road side assistance. We where able to secure the frame with chains and boomers enough to slowly drive to White Horse in the Yukon. The tow company made sure we made it and had a place for us to stay. The next day the tow company had a welder assess the damage to the 5th wheel and order steel. My adjuster also called that same day and notified me that they would pay for the road side assistance ($1,500 Canadian). The next day the trailer was welded and we stayed one my night in White Horse. When I got back home a adjuster looked at my trailer and said it was totaled. I had pulled this trailer 4,500 miles back home so I know my repairs are solid. I told the insurance company I wanted to buy the trailer back and they allowed that. The insurance then insured the trailer again at a lower value. Bottom line is I didn’t fight for anything, the insurance company took care of me. The insurance company even paid for the repairs!
I may not have the cheapest insurance but they take care of me. Earlier this year my home was damaged in a tornado and they had a payment to me in less than a week. In 2005 I lost a home to a fire and they had a check to me the same day for living expenses.
The Walker Tribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:10 AM   #35

A perfect explanation as to why a good agent is the best insurance resource.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 12:57 PM   #36

What height / size of I beam frame is on the Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS may I ask?
Wilsonbryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 01:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walker Tribe View Post
My insurance is Oklahoma Farm Bureau. When my frame broke I notified my agent in Oklahoma. My agent immediately started on getting a adjuster. I then called a tow company for road side assistance. We where able to secure the frame with chains and boomers enough to slowly drive to White Horse in the Yukon. The tow company made sure we made it and had a place for us to stay. The next day the tow company had a welder assess the damage to the 5th wheel and order steel. My adjuster also called that same day and notified me that they would pay for the road side assistance ($1,500 Canadian). The next day the trailer was welded and we stayed one my night in White Horse. When I got back home a adjuster looked at my trailer and said it was totaled. I had pulled this trailer 4,500 miles back home so I know my repairs are solid. I told the insurance company I wanted to buy the trailer back and they allowed that. The insurance then insured the trailer again at a lower value. Bottom line is I didn’t fight for anything, the insurance company took care of me. The insurance company even paid for the repairs!
I may not have the cheapest insurance but they take care of me. Earlier this year my home was damaged in a tornado and they had a payment to me in less than a week. In 2005 I lost a home to a fire and they had a check to me the same day for living expenses.
Thanks for the explanation. Good for you that your insurance agent and company were so supportive. I didn’t have such luck. I’m still working with Lippert to get repairs.
Old 08-30-2022, 01:02 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonbryk View Post
What height / size of I beam frame is on the Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS may I ask?
I don’t know and the camper is stranded on the other side of the country so I can’t even go out and measure things for you.
Old 08-30-2022, 01:06 PM   #39

Oh man sorry to hear that Bob! I hope Lippert steps up on this for you. We have a 30.5 MLOK and I was just curious what frame size yours is on vs ours. If it's the same one I will certainly be keeping an eye on ours. Take care.
Wilsonbryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 03:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Then why have there been reports of Lippert frame failures across other brands and not every rig? Also broken/failed welds have nothing to do with how the frame is spec'ed.
. Just reporting what the guy said.
Cincinnati Kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame bent, frame boken