Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #1

Broken USB charger

OK so I walk in the camper, step on the core left in the USB charger near the kitchen sink. Of course the cord rips the dual USB ports out of their socket. I tried to repair it but no luck. The label on the back of it says: american technology components AV1-5-U I've already looked online but can't find it at all! Anyone have an idea where to find a replacement, besides trying to go through Jayco or a dealer? I can't even find a different manufacture model that might be usable, even if I make a bigger hole for one.

Thanks,
Dave...
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #2

Following, because if someone can find the product, I want to add one on each side of the bed.....

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_Dave View Post
OK so I walk in the camper, step on the core left in the USB charger near the kitchen sink. Of course the cord rips the dual USB ports out of their socket. I tried to repair it but no luck. The label on the back of it says: american technology components AV1-5-U I've already looked online but can't find it at all! Anyone have an idea where to find a replacement, besides trying to go through Jayco or a dealer? I can't even find a different manufacture model that might be usable, even if I make a bigger hole for one.

Thanks,
Dave...
Same thing happened to me, pulled out when I unplugged my usb cable. I'm guessing to two port usb piece is soldered in so no chance of fixing it on your own. I'm under warranty but was going to do it myself to save some time. Couldn't find it online so ended up sending a photo to my out of state dealer and had a replacement in about 2 weeks. Boxed the broken one up and sent it back to them.
mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:16 AM   #4

https://www.thehardwarehut.com/catal...YukBoCsmrw_wcB
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually, 4X4, Demco HiJacker 21K Autoslide on RAM Puck, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4:10's, 51 Gallon Titan fuel tank, Superhitch 30K lb receiver, Jack Rabbit bed cover.
Wagon: 2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s, Solid Step, 1 ton mini split HVAC, Back up cam.
Tote: Custom built swivel wheel tote (one torsion axle w/dual tires) with a Rampage lift.
Drifter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:24 AM   #5
Site Team

That looks like trouble to me!

Why not this: http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...69979860lg.jpg
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #6

Usb

This probably won't fit as a replacement for yours, but I have used them for years in rv's, boats and vehicles.

https://powerwerx.com/panel-mount-du...er-high-output

Good luck

don
Old 05-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doncom View Post
This probably won't fit as a replacement for yours, but I have used them for years in rv's, boats and vehicles.

https://powerwerx.com/panel-mount-du...er-high-output

Good luck

don
Don, looks like it could but is my factory one now 12V DC? I haven't checked but I thought it was 110V AC?

Dave...

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_Dave View Post
Don, looks like it could but is my factory one now 12V DC? I haven't checked but I thought it was 110V AC?

Dave...
You should be able to check voltage at the back of the broken one.

I install these on either side of the bed and run wire directly to the battery so they can be used anytime.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #9

These things must be real junk.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1570.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	25544
The core of mine just pulled out as well. I did manage to put it back in but the bottom plug doesn't have power now so I assume it was shorted when it pulled out.
I contacted Jayco and they won't send me a replacement - got the "warranty work must be done by dealer" line).
To answer the question above - the unit is 12v.
In the Eagle HT 26.5 there is plenty of room behind the outlet to mount something deeper. That leaves a lot of options.
One thing to watch if you have to buy/replace any USB charger jack is the amps.
MANY of the dual socket units on the market deliver 2.1a on one socket and 1.0 on the other. Guess what - that makes the 1.0 socket pretty much useless unless you still have an iPhone 4. Newer phones and pads require at least 2 amps and will charge pretty slowly at that. I haven't found a wall mounted 12v charger that I consider really "high power" yet.
I'm considering going with this one just because I know it will cover the hole in the cabinet AND I'd like to have a 12v socket here to plug in a 12v fan when we boondock.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Attachment 25544
The core of mine just pulled out as well. I did manage to put it back in but the bottom plug doesn't have power now so I assume it was shorted when it pulled out.
I contacted Jayco and they won't send me a replacement - got the "warranty work must be done by dealer" line).
In the Eagle HT 26.5 there is plenty of room behind the outlet to mount something deeper. That leaves a lot of options.
MANY of the dual socket units on the market deliver 2.1a on one socket and 1.0 on the other. Guess what - that makes the 1.0 socket pretty much useless unless you still have an iPhone 4. Newer phones and pads require at least 2 amps and will charge pretty slowly at that. I haven't found a wall mounted 12v charger that I consider really "high power" yet.
I'm considering going with this one just because I know it will cover the hole in the cabinet AND I'd like to have a 12v socket here to plug in a 12v fan when we boondock.
I'll be on my second replacement soon, the 1st one they sent me managed to do the same thing. Seems this item should be recalled as I can only imagine my 3rd one will do it also.
mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #11

Well that makes me feel better about just going with a third party replacement instead of a warranty replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #12

Ironically enough I ripped mine out the other day by accident. Luckily I was able to shove it back in and it works still.

When I first picked up the camper that entire USB unit was DOA (someone soldered right through the circuit board). My dealer had a new one shipped to my house and it took all of 5 mins to swap in.

I'd try that route until someone comes up with a better mousetrap.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:03 PM   #13

ours stop working after 4 months

Our bedroom USB charger unit stop working after 4 months of use while we were in Florida this winter. I have an appointement with the dealer to deal with it in a few weeks and will let you know. it is supposed to be under warranty for 2 years.
MarMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
Ironically enough I ripped mine out the other day by accident. Luckily I was able to shove it back in and it works still.

When I first picked up the camper that entire USB unit was DOA (someone soldered right through the circuit board). My dealer had a new one shipped to my house and it took all of 5 mins to swap in.

I'd try that route until someone comes up with a better mousetrap.
I did it too on the weekend. Put it back in and it still works.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #15

Mine pulled out just like Buddy Ray's.
Was able to push back in and it still worked. Added a little super glue and it seems to stay now......Wonder how long until it dies....
Old 07-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Attachment 25544
I do not have that style charger in my HTT, actually it did not come with any USB chargers. I added a number of AUX power ports, and use good quality Belkin dual 2.1 amp car adaptor plugs. They work great. I can charge multiple items at a time, rock solid mount. Being they are connected to the 12V system I can charge up my stuff even boondocking.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:02 AM   #17

CHeckout BLUE SEA products for boats.... They have several different vesions for USB chargers...

You can order these through AMAZON...

I just ordered one of these BLUE SEA panels for my truck...

I did just see your model listed on an ebay store sales list for $6.95 or so... Just type 'AV1-5-U' in google search...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Attachment 25544
I have the same exact one.. dead from the get go. It's on my list of things the dealer needs to replace/fix.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #19

Are these USB ports still awful? I was going to add more to the camper, but not if they don't hold up. Thanks in advance.
vanspragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #20

replacement usb charger

The replacement usb charger has been working well all winter. the original one in the kitchen has been working well since the beginning.
MarMic is offline   Reply With Quote