Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2019, 07:52 AM   #1

Exclamation Broken Welds on Propane Carrier

A week ago while I was packing to leave for the vacation we are currently enjoying I noticed I could see one of the 30lb propane tanks hanging down a few inches below the siding which was not normal. I opened up the compartment and discovered that not one but both of the welds on the right-side L-bracket holding the tank platform up had failed and was all rusted. Both tanks were leaning heavily right the right hand tank hanging down about 4”. The main propane connection on the regulator was holding the tanks from falling further,

We were literally minutes from pulling out so I made a quick fix with some C-clamps to reattach that side of the platform. But I fear this will be another lengthy stay at the dealer. I’m probably just going to hire a welder to fix it rather than deal with Jayco and the dealer.

I’m starting to grow very concerned about the poor quality of this camper. I’ve not had it even a year and purchased it new. This is the second serious safety issue to come up. Had anyone else almost had their propane tanks fall out?

I would encourage everyone to inspect the welds that hold their propane tank platform in place. It’s disgusting to see that the entire platform is held in place with 2 L brackets and 4 TAC welds, and that’s piss-poor quality if you ask me.
Shackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #2

Poor quality is too often found on our units.

Mine was the standard steps. If Jayco puts the MOryder steps on units then why not the premium models? And when in the name of "Sam's Hill" type of bake-O-Lite does Lippert use on external components? I don't park next to the ocean but still... This is also happening to my king Post too.
Attached Thumbnails
6.jpg  

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #3

It’s very disappointing. The quality of the steel used and the finish applied to it are pathetic. Fortunately my C-clamp temporary fix held the propane tanks securely in place for the entire 900 mile, three campground trip that we just returned from.
Shackrat is offline   Reply With Quote