Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #21

Could be coming from the roof vent of your black tank. There is no "p" trap on the commode. We actually see them coming from the toilet when flushed. We usually notice an infestation after the grass is cut.
Dashersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #22

Charge all tanks. Leave them charged - go a little overboard with the blu chem that you add.

Get underneath the RV with a fogger and lots of spray. You maybe dealing with a dead mouse somewhere.
Tony from NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC's First View Post
Not a great topic, but I'm at my wits end and losing battle after battle! I must win the war! We have been battling gnat like bugs, mostly around the kitchen area. I have seen these bugs before and associate them with garbage. I have looked everywhere for anything they may be attracted to and have found nothing and we keep our rv/home clean! I've set foggers. No result. I've poured liquid fire down the drains. No result. My bug guy says sewer flies But how they getting in? is there not a "p" trap? I placed a small container of apple cider vinegar (its supposed to attract and trap them) no result. They "flit" around in sink and in trash. Driving us mad! Cant set a sandwich down for 2 seconds! Theyre nasty and I'm about to burn it down! 38FLSA Pinnacle and I leave grey tank open although I've seen them with it closed. Anyone know what to do?
I've dealt with those in my home before. When they get out of hand, it can be quite annoying. The apple-cider vinegar does attract them, as does wine, pieces of fruit, etc. But in the end, what I wound up doing is keeping a spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol handy and when I see them, I spray them and it knocks them down INSTANTLY. Not sure why, but it works. After a day or two of spraying and killing those I see, I don't see many anymore. Additionally, isopropyl alcohol won't hurt you if you ingest it either in the air or if it transfers to your food. It's just alcohol. So you really could actually spray it right around your food, on your counters, etc. Good luck!
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:42 PM   #24

Charge all the tanks with blu chem. Go a little heavy on it - completely fill the tanks. Let that sit. Hey underneath the RV and check for a dead mouse. Spray HEAVILY underneath the RV. On the undercarriage itself.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:44 PM   #25

After you flush out the blu chem, recharge the tanks with Simple Green. Go thru the same process.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #26

I battle fruit flies every summer because they love the produce from my garden. I've tried all the vinegar trap ideas and it doesn't help. The one thing that works is no produce on the counters. At home, I have a screened porch so I keep my produce in the fridge or on the porch. That works. In an RV, they could be on any produce or in your garbage.

The other annoying little fly is a fungus gnat that lives in potting soil. Any chance you have a plant? The cure for fungus gnats is a Bt drench. My experience is that all potting soil is infested. I buy an xtra bag in the Spring and let it cook in the sun on top of my potting bench. At the end of the summer, I bring it in for any new potting needs. It's worked for me.
LBLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #27
Al1

Re: Bugs

We had tiny fliers at 2 campgrounds where we stayed for 2 months. Finally figured out they came from our black water tank. The solution we found (after going thru several) was to pour Dawn (1 cup) into the toilet. Drive the RV enough to slosh the tank, empty it, wait a week and do it again. The bugs live in the solid wastes inside your tank that can build up if you don't clean out the tank for a long time. The eggs also live in the solid wastes and hatch after a week, so you will have to do this cleaning several times to rid yourself of them. I now have my Redhawk in RV storage with the under-coach drain open, pest sprayed down the toilet opening and up the drain pipe. . . Next time and every time I leave on a trip I will start with a cup of Dawn in the black tank! It's the only thing that worked!
Al1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #28

I sanitize my black and grey water tanks with bleach and water. I add a heavy dose of clorox to half a tank of water in each and then fill with water till absolutely full. Let it sit for half hour drain and rinse with a full tank of water to get the bleach out. To add the bleach to the sink and shower add the bleach to a couple gallons of water and slowly pour it through both (or all) drains so the traps get a concentrated cleaning.

After a few minutes finish filling the grey tank. The black tank I also dilute a little before pouring it down to avoid a possible spill.

A generous amount of bleach left in a half hour should kill all eggs in the tanks.

I agree that bugs can come up the drain hose so a trap is in order. And will prevent odors coming up.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #29

We had those in our house in September - it was especially bad in the kitchen. I searched high and low for the cause, but never found anything. I tried the vinegar/dawn solution - it would catch some, but it wasn't very effective. The only thing that worked were the Raid Fly Sticks (I got them at Walmart). I put a little vinegar in the bottom cap put 2 in the kitchen and a few more around the house to get any that had wandered from the kitchen. Within an hour of putting them out, I had tons of them stuck to the strip. It took about a week and replacing the sticks with new ones - but we finally got rid of them.

I don't want to go thru that again anytime soon.
firerose617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC's First View Post
That's a gnat.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote