Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #1

Bugs!

Not a great topic, but I'm at my wits end and losing battle after battle! I must win the war! We have been battling gnat like bugs, mostly around the kitchen area. I have seen these bugs before and associate them with garbage. I have looked everywhere for anything they may be attracted to and have found nothing and we keep our rv/home clean! I've set foggers. No result. I've poured liquid fire down the drains. No result. My bug guy says sewer flies But how they getting in? is there not a "p" trap? I placed a small container of apple cider vinegar (its supposed to attract and trap them) no result. They "flit" around in sink and in trash. Driving us mad! Cant set a sandwich down for 2 seconds! Theyre nasty and I'm about to burn it down! 38FLSA Pinnacle and I leave grey tank open although I've seen them with it closed. Anyone know what to do?
MDC's First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #2

Sounds like drain flies. They live in the drain and feed off of the soap scum between the sink drain and the top of the water in the p-trap. Remove the p-trap and clean the tail pipe between the bottom of the sink and the end of tail pipe. You'll get the eggs and flies at the same time.

They look like a regular fly only much smaller. Gnats look entirely different and are smaller.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #3

I doubt they're sewer flies since they are fairly large compared to gnats. You do have an air admitance valve under the kitchen sink and also under the bath sink. If they don't close they may be coming in there. The kitchen one is to the left of the sink in the corner.

Gnats are so tiny they can sneak in from just about anywhere though. Here's a sewer fly.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Sounds like drain flies. They live in the drain and feed off of the soap scum between the sink drain and the top of the water in the p-trap. Remove the p-trap and clean the tail pipe between the bottom of the sink and the end of tail pipe. You'll get the eggs and flies at the same time.

They look like a regular fly only much smaller. Gnats look entirely different and are smaller.
Thanks! These do not have noticeable "wings" like a fly. But they do seem to "float" about. When found in or around sink or in trash they appear to almost "hop". I'll try cleaning pipe and trap. Although I'd think the liquid fire would've killed them. A few just "floated" past as I type this! Aaargh!
Old 10-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #5

From your later description, you're right. They don't sound like drain flies. Sounds more like gnats or fruit flies but then again those critters are attracted by the vinegar. Not sure now.

Grumpy's post shows a good picture of the drain flies and they do have defined wings.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:29 PM   #6

If they hop could be fleas.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:14 PM   #7
Site Team

Get something like a custard dish, fill it with about an inch of apple cider vinegar and add a small amount of dishwashing detergent. Then cover the top with plastic wrap and and poke some holes in the plastic wrap with a round toothpick to allow the bugs to enter the dish and drown. Works for us!

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If they hop could be fleas.
Definitely not.fleas. They really look like what has been described as sewer flies. I just dont understand why they're not attracted to the apple cider vinegar. Or why the liquid fire didn't wipe em out. Must be some kindof mutated FL thing!
Old 10-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #9

Post a pic of some. Preferably on a white background. Catch some on masking tape or something similar.

If they are what I'm thinking, you might want to go through all the cabinets and drawers. Look for old fruits and vegetables. Sometimes a potato falls out of the bag and rolls out of site.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurv View Post
Post a pic of some. Preferably on a white background. Catch some on masking tape or something similar.

If they are what I'm thinking, you might want to go through all the cabinets and drawers. Look for old fruits and vegetables. Sometimes a potato falls out of the bag and rolls out of site.
That is precisely what they look like. I can't find any fruits, vegetables or anything that they are after tho. If I can manage to get a pic I'll post it
Old 10-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #11

Quote:
I doubt they're sewer flies since they are fairly large compared to gnats. You do have an air admitance valve under the kitchen sink and also under the bath sink. If they don't close they may be coming in there. The kitchen one is to the left of the sink in the corner.

Gnats are so tiny they can sneak in from just about anywhere though. Here's a sewer fly.
Definitely not those. I'll check the valves. If they are malfunctioning, I guess I'll replace them. These are small. Maybe an 1/8" long. Black. No discernable wings. Seen them in produce at store before.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #12

Pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	15400720101723882137079516454896.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	44990

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181020_174401.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	44991
Old 10-20-2018, 06:13 PM   #13

Do a search for Fungus gnat and see if that has any resemblance
Old 10-20-2018, 07:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Do a search for Fungus gnat and see if that has any resemblance
Hmmmm.....looks close but because of lack of plants, etc. I'm going with the whole drain fly or sewer gnat theory. Although the wings aren't as developed they may be some larvae stage thing. I just gotta get rid of em! Thanks for your and others help! I'll let you know before I burn it down!
Old 10-20-2018, 07:03 PM   #15

I probably should have mentioned that I am on a permanent hook up. Maybe leaving grey tank open is allowing them to enter?
Old 10-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #16

When I can’t find where my bugs come from, I end up finding a potato in the pantry that is past its expiration date...
Old 10-21-2018, 04:49 AM   #17

They aren't something we deal with in my neck of the woods. But I know enough about the diptera order to tell you what works. First step is clean everything and dispose of any source. Scrub your drains clean with a stiff bristle brush where possible. Don't waste your time with homemade vinegar traps they only work on a certain species of fruit fly. If you can get your hands on a product called nuvan prostrips, put some in the rv and close the windows. You CANNOT live in the rv while the strips are in place as per the label. PT Alpine fly bait is another great product. really easy to use, just spray it on inconspicuous areas near the problem.

Guaranteed to rid you of your problem.

Another thing to mention, please do not set off an aerosol fogger. That will not break the cycle and will probably cause damage to the rv surfaces that you will not see right away. Those things are good for attics and crawl spaces.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:14 AM   #18

I too had this issue this year. Attracted to my wine glass but not to vinegar. Tried everything except bombing. They are extremely difficult to catch they would land on glue strip an simply fly off of it.
Found primarily in the kitchen but the lighting is different in this area so they might be every where but just don't notice. Pulled cabinets apart, pulled and cleaned traps, poured boiling water ect. Finally the last two weeks they are gone. I hate when things just stop and you don't know why and just have to hope it is gone for good.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:44 AM   #19

Do you route your sewer hose in the shape of a P Trap. It will stop critters And odors from backing up into your tanks. It acts like a house trap.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #20

We get the small fruit flies in the summer months. At least that's what I figure they are. They're in the kitchen of the house but I see them other places. If I leave a beer sitting in the garage they'll be getting into that too. If you're quick you can clap them between your hands and they are real small with almost no wing for the body size.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote