Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #1

Build Plans for 2016 36FBTS

As some may know, we have outrigger issues. The shop that is going to work on the unit would like a structural engineer to look at the unit (before they start work) to make sure there are no additional issues. In mid-October we had the flat leaf springs replaced and on our next trip 2 weeks later the outriggers were bent. We are trying to locate a structural engineer, working through friends. One structural engineer has asked us to obtain the build plans for the unit. There was another item he would like but doubt we would be able to obtain - that is the actual build plan showing any modifications made during the build. Has anyone had any success obtaining the build plans?

We also looked at the Jayco recalls. They recalled the 2017 Pinnacles for suspension issues and in reviewing it, it is the same thing we had.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help provided.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:50 PM   #2

Wow that’s a tough one. Pictures of your unit would help some.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:06 PM   #3

I would write an email to Jayco's Customer Service account. I personally like to call, but this will document your conversations. Explain your issues, add a few photos, and politely ask for the the frame drawing and build plans. You will need to provide your Vin number.

Maybe worth asking who the frame manufacture is, as you may need to reach out to them for the frame details.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I would write an email to Jayco's Customer Service account. I personally like to call, but this will document your conversations. Explain your issues, add a few photos, and politely ask for the the frame drawing and build plans. You will need to provide your Vin number.

Maybe worth asking who the frame manufacture is, as you may need to reach out to them for the frame details.
Frame is Lippert. Thank you for the suggestions.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
Wow that’s a tough one. Pictures of your unit would help some.
Here are several pictures. Do not have any of the flatten leaf springs.
Attached Thumbnails
Outrigger.jpg   Floor.jpg   TireRubbing.jpg  
Old 02-03-2021, 09:22 PM   #6

If you get a structural engineer looking at these rigs he’s going to slap a “DO NOT ENTER” sign in the door and have the fleet grounded. Hahaha.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:58 AM   #7

We heard back from Jayco. Really wish they would take customer concerns/complaints seriously.

Here is a snippet of the response: "it did look like perhaps the slide out was left out for an extended period of time without being properly supported (with slide out jacks) and was possibly overloaded as well?"

Do any of you put slide out jacks under your slides when you are camped for an extended period of time? And what is considered an extended period of time? The longest we have camped is 2 weeks. If we recall correctly, we were told by the dealership not to use jacks under the slide out because the rails could be bent.

And what is overloaded? The darn residential fridge?

Rock has provided very good feedback and we are sharing it with the sub.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:57 PM   #8

Really..that’s unbelievable. They are morons.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Really..that’s unbelievable. They are morons.
It gets better...again, a snippet from the post:

"My suggestion concerning leaving the room out for extended periods of time or over loading the slide out were merely suggestions on what may have caused the out riggers to crumple and the floor to bow. The truth is, I really don’t know what has happened to this unit or how it has been used since it left our facility on 4/1/16. I did go back through our records and looked at other G1RL units and found nothing comparable to what you are experiencing.

When camping for extended periods of time, I would normally suggest running the room in and out a couple of times every week or so as the rails may start to bow downwards over time. Jayco does not give advisement on using slide out jacks as there is a presumption that the customer would take the responsibility to consider such things as it pertains to how they wish to use the unit. It’s kind of in the same ballpark as not giving advisement on what kind of truck or receiver hitch to use as the customer does need to make those kinds of decisions based on their own preferences or needs."

So, how many of you run the room in and out a couple times every week? And why would Jayco presume the customer would truly know what the engineer had in mind when designing their units. Yes, there are some things the customer should take responsibility for researching, etc. And in our research, have never found where we needed to run the room in and out several times a week.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:22 PM   #10

If I ran the room a couple of times a week, it would be broken every three weeks.
Then in the shop for 3 months...repeat.

I wish I could help you with some documentation of my first outrigger bend.
It came from the factory on JULY 31 2015 WITH A BENT OUTRIGGER!!!
READ THAT JAYCO. BUILT JULY 29 2015. Didn’t even make out of the dealers lot.
Then the next one bent a month later.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
As was mentioned whoever you are corresponding with obviously is either new or totally ignorant. Here is the info directly from the owner's manual which I would copy and send back to them. It is right in the section addressing the slideouts.

Additional support jacks are not needed under the slideout. Damage can occur
to your slideout room from improper use of aftermarket support jacks.
I would also contact LIPPERT since they are the ones who build the frame and attach the outriggers.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
snip...
I wish I could help you with some documentation of my first outrigger bend.
It came from the factory on JULY 31 2015 WITH A BENT OUTRIGGER!!!
READ THAT JAYCO. BUILT JULY 29 2015. Didn’t even make out of the dealers lot.
Then the next one bent a month later.
Thanks Klassic.

He stated "I did go back through our records and looked at other G1RL units and found nothing comparable to what you are experiencing". Does your VIN's last 8 begin with G1RL?
Old 02-10-2021, 07:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
As was mentioned whoever you are corresponding with obviously is either new or totally ignorant. Here is the info directly from the owner's manual which I would copy and send back to them. It is right in the section addressing the slideouts.

Additional support jacks are not needed under the slideout. Damage can occur to your slideout room from improper use of aftermarket support jacks.
Grumpy, I think he is trying to make us feel like we are idiots and have no clue what we are doing. We had a 19' in the mid-70s, sold it (went to tent camping!). Then in 1995 we purchased a TT, upgrading to our 1st 5ver in 1997. We are so frustrated with the responses.

Have kept the sub informed and they will be following up with Lippert. The sub actually owns a Grand Design Toy Hauler and the company works on semis, motor homes, school buses as well as other equipment vehicles.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:15 AM   #14

I’ll check when I get home.
They have told people on this forum about how to fix their bent outriggers and how to use the updated ones..I’ve even seen 2 different styles of updated outriggers.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:48 PM   #15

Rock here. I fixed mine like I told u. Jacked it back up straight and drilled holes and bolted three sided angle to the first three. Jayco factory removed the two ones I repaired and replaced with there newer heavier ones which than failed a year later. I jacked them back straight and had a welder add plate steel from frame out
On both of the outriggers. That hidden one I told u about still has my fix on it and is doing fine. The factory missed it did not know it was there.
This is not brain surgery any good welding shop can straighten the outrigger and add plate steel from frame out on one or both sides.
Jayco was fixing them but there new outrigger sucks. Not strong enough.
I am always afraid if a Jack fails or u get a flat tire while u have supports under ur slide u will be in a world of hurt. So think about how much bouncing u do on the road with slides in on the schwintec drive line. Nothing is supporting the slide fully in bouncing down the highway. But sitting still and slide out the outrigger cannot even support that weight.
It seems there should be rollers on the slide bottom to support the slide fully in.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 06:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
Thanks Klassic.

He stated "I did go back through our records and looked at other G1RL units and found nothing comparable to what you are experiencing". Does your VIN's last 8 begin with G1RL?
Perhaps even earlier than yours?
Attached Thumbnails
9032C0EC-C9C9-450C-A996-4BE750F3644F.jpg  
Old 02-10-2021, 07:59 PM   #17

Mine is G1RL0184. I had to take mine to the factory to get numerous big things fixed from new roof to new suspension. My kitchen slide would hit the outside sidewall of my tire. Not the top hitting but the sidewall hitting the inside lip of the slide. They had reports of this and the factory was waiting on mine to see WTF was happening but it was all
On my dime. Which two trips and flying was very costly. They replaced all the suspension and heavier Morride rubber suspension blocks. And they did not install any of the bolts correctly in the suspension. I have to Jack my FW to grease any of the bolts. Roof replacement has wrinkles and the side moldings look like a kid put them on, nothing is even remotely straight. Kitchen slide has failed again and took 8 months at a local dealer for that repair. There factory repairs that took almost two months are not impressive.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:56 AM   #18

Klassic, thank you for the VIN.

Rock, ours is G1RL0370, so a little later than your unit? The sub wants to actually add additional outriggers (8 instead of 4). We heard back from the sub last night. They have been in contact with Lippert now (per Jayco that is who they need to work with). Lippert is sending directions on how to repair the unit (sub wants to make sure there is absolutely nothing being missed). Sub will then write up a quote and send back to Lippert. Per sub, Lippert will also send the parts. We have shared your repair feedback from the previous string, including the silicone.

Just beyond frustrated with Jayco.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:23 AM   #19

Sounds like u r getting it fixed correctly. The ones they did at the factory were a little heavier. Adding more will be a good thing. My worse one was the longer hidden one it was really bent. After my replacement bent and one had the weld fail Jayco refused to pay for repair. We were back living in ours fulltime after the hurricane. I paid to have a welder come out and fix them on site. I know Jayco or Lippert made a change in outriggers during the year. The original ones were just a 90 degree bend as a stiffener. Than they added a second 90 bend to give it more strength. Those r the ones I had and they bent.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:58 AM   #20

Quote:
We heard back from Jayco. Really wish they would take customer concerns/complaints seriously.

Here is a snippet of the response: "it did look like perhaps the slide out was left out for an extended period of time without being properly supported (with slide out jacks) and was possibly overloaded as well?"
Quote:
It gets better...again, a snippet from the post:

"My suggestion concerning leaving the room out for extended periods of time or over loading the slide out were merely suggestions on what may have caused the out riggers to crumple and the floor to bow. The truth is, I really don’t know what has happened to this unit or how it has been used since it left our facility on 4/1/16. I did go back through our records and looked at other G1RL units and found nothing comparable to what you are experiencing.

When camping for extended periods of time, I would normally suggest running the room in and out a couple of times every week or so as the rails may start to bow downwards over time. Jayco does not give advisement on using slide out jacks as there is a presumption that the customer would take the responsibility to consider such things as it pertains to how they wish to use the unit. It’s kind of in the same ballpark as not giving advisement on what kind of truck or receiver hitch to use as the customer does need to make those kinds of decisions based on their own preferences or needs."
Per Jayco's documentation you are not to place jacks under the slide-out (pg 61).

The slide-out section in the manual states multiple times, this unit is maintenance free and never needs adjustments, yet they have 10 pages of troubleshooting and maintenance items.

https://www.jayco.com/files/download...OM%20Color.pdf

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, fbts